What's new

How do TP-Link unmanaged pro switches decide which vlan to use for their dhcp addr?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

GawainXX2

Occasional Visitor
I can't seem to figure out the pattern behind how my TP-Link unmanaged pro switches pick which vlan to use for their dhcp address.

I've scoured the documentation for this but haven't had any luck.

Does anyone happen to know, vlan priority perhaps?

An unmanaged switch is just that. They are dumb devices and just split out a connection from the router or Layer 3 device.

A unmanaged switch does not contain a VLAN tag on the packet so the frame size is smaller without a VLAN tag than a VLAN tagged frame size. In the old days if you ran VLAN tagged traffic through an unmanaged switch the VLAN tags were stripped off and you ended up with untagged traffic. Now days most switches handle the larger VLAN frame size so VLAN tags are passed through.

I can't seem to figure out the pattern behind how my TP-Link unmanaged pro switches pick which vlan to use for their dhcp address.

I've scoured the documentation for this but haven't had any luck.

Does anyone happen to know, vlan priority perhaps?

What's your model?

An unmanaged switch is just that. They are dumb devices and just split out a connection from the router or Layer 3 device.

A unmanaged switch does not contain a VLAN tag on the packet so the frame size is smaller without a VLAN tag than a VLAN tagged frame size. In the old days if you ran VLAN tagged traffic through an unmanaged switch the VLAN tags were stripped off and you ended up with untagged traffic. Now days most switches handle the larger VLAN frame size so VLAN tags are passed through.

Guys? His switch is not a pure unmanaged switch. His switch is a Smart Switch like ~E series.
TP-Link unmanaged pro switch = Smart Switch = Managed Switch actually.