What's new

anyone use TP-Link AV2000 Powerline Adapter for asus mesh on 2.5Gb ports

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

OakleyFreak

Occasional Visitor
anyone use TP-Link AV2000 Powerline Adapter for asus mesh on 2.5Gb ports

Thinking about replacing my 1 Gb Cable to my Asus 86s from my Asus 86u

Have used these - they were unreliable, and also the Ethernet ports on them are only 1Gbps unless there's an updated version! Why would they do that - don't ask me!

I have (bad) experience with these too. Don't bother with PLAs. Slow, laggy, and inconsistent 'performance'.

Everything you don't want on your network.

There is nothing so far that can replace a quality Cat5e or higher Ethernet cable, and maybe, ever.

Have used these - they were unreliable, and also the Ethernet ports on them are only 1Gbps unless there's an updated version! Why would they do that - don't ask me!
Yea the one I have states 2000 per port
Maybe ill try it and see
or off to the Cat 6e store

I'm pretty sure it states 2 GbE ports. ;)

And/or 'up to' 2000 Mbps for both ports.

Early in the pandemic, I upgraded from some PLAs that were compatible with the 7510 PLA-WiFi. One of the AV2000s failed after about 4-5 months, and frankly, the speeds were no better than the older devices. I've previously had good results with HomeAV and I've seen Ghn that works well, it really does seem to depend on your home wiring, but the AV2000's were bad!

PLAs will never give you even close to max rated bandwidth. You will get a 1GB linkrate, but your throughput will be much lower.

Although, of all the PLAs I've used, these TP-Link AV2000's are the best. I use them all day while WFH. Latency will be higher than a cable.

Probably
But it's misleading to say the least

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231208_202524_DuckDuckGo.jpg
    Screenshot_20231208_202524_DuckDuckGo.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 23
Misleading is not the word I have for marketing.

The text says Gigabit speeds. The graph shows something else.

Gigabit is that '1000' number, divided by 8, which gives us a nominal 125MB/s throughput. Minus any error correction required to ensure accuracy on such poor medium as power cable runs.

Beware of 'Up to'. It rarely is.

And connection speeds are hardly throughput speeds.

And, 1GbE Ports throw a wrench into the numbers above too. I don't believe 2GbE Ports exist. If they used 2.5GbE ports, the cost would not be what I paid for it so many years ago.

I have a pair of these (TL-PA9020P-KIT from Amazon), and I've done actual testing on them. It seems like they need 10 minutes or so to acclimate to the particular circuit you install them on, but once they've settled down they've given reproducible throughput and decent reliability for me. The advertised speeds are not real-world performance though. I got iperf3 rates around 480Mbps on an old and somewhat dubious power circuit. I did not try any cases where they're not on the same circuit.

If you need ethernet-grade speed and reliability, you need a real ethernet cable. These can be an okay answer if you don't need max speed, though.

I would agree - it's two 1 gigabit ports on each node...

Much like a "Man Eating Shark" - it's either the shark or the man, depending on how one reads it

;)

Anyways - the HomePlugs were always sold on the PLC PHY data rates (as Max) - They have to work in a fairly noisy environment, so real-world performance is quite a bit lower...