What's new

How to best conceal VPN use?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Cheese8kraft

New Around Here
I am in a restricted country and trying to access some sites which block all VPN traffic. I am an avid football fan and greatly enjoy making wagers from time to time. However the betting sites often restrict or limit accounts if a vpn is used, and I recently had my money confiscated for using a vpn.
This is with a dedicated ip address, ipv6 disabled, and a vpn provider DNS.

I would like to if possible find a solution to this! I found an interesting site 2ip.io/privacy which is always detecting my vpn use and I have to imagine these sites are using similar technology.

Is there any ways around this or is my hobby dead?

You need to find some obscure VPN providers that isn't known by them, or set up your own VPN server in the destination country. Those sites don't specifically detect VPN usage, what they do is recognize that you are using an IP address that belongs to a VPN providers.

Use a linux vps with a static IP address, follow instructions here. Find a good tutorial on setting up your OpenVPN server.
Use port 443 or similar on your ovpn configuration. Use DNS-crypt for your DNS. I suggest having your router take care of selective routing your devices. I have excellent results with OpnSense

It's going to be challenging - VPN has a distinctive signature that shows up, even without deep packet inspection - just based on traffic analysis...

In countries that's explicitly observed (e.g. China's Great Firewall and others) or implicitly (many others...) - sooner or later, one gets caught.

VPN is useful, and like all good tools, can be quite handy... just understand that it can, and often is, broken... even Tor for that matter, which in OP's case, would be a better option perhaps than any VPN...

It's going to be challenging - VPN has a distinctive signature that shows up, even without deep packet inspection - just based on traffic analysis...

In countries that's explicitly observed (e.g. China's Great Firewall and others) or implicitly (many others...) - sooner or later, one gets caught.

VPN is useful, and like all good tools, can be quite handy... just understand that it can, and often is, broken... even Tor for that matter, which in OP's case, would be a better option perhaps than any VPN...

That signature is only visible to the transit that gets the encrypted data however. The only thing the remote end will see is the IP, which will be from the tunnel provider's pool.