What's new

How to install the john9527-fork on a RT-AC66 (1st gen) that has the most current official FW?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

lagrave

Regular Contributor
This should be a FAQ but a lot of googling didn't return any definitive answers. But I assume they are out there somewhere so feel free to just answer with links!

I have a first generation RT-AC66 upgraded to the most current official FW. Now I want to switch to the john9527-fork (to get access to a local DNS as well as support for exFat) but how do I do it?

I have downloaded the Asus Restoration Utitlity¹ since, as far as I understand it, you need that if you upgraded the official FW beyond a certain point (something with FCC regulations that really doesn't apply outside the US²) but now what? Factory reset? Restart in some kind of recovery mode? Can I restore my current settings back after the upgrade?

Thank you for your support!

¹ It took a while to realise that the Mac-version is available through App Store and not through Asus' web site.

² Google "Invalid Firmware Upload" "To comply with regulatory amendments, we have modified our certification rule to ensure better firmware quality. This version is not compatible with all previously released ASUS firmware and uncertified third-party firmware. Please check our official websites for the certified firmware."

This should be a FAQ but a lot of googling didn't return any definitive answers. But I assume they are out there somewhere so feel free to just answer with links!

I have a first generation RT-AC66 upgraded to the most current official FW. Now I want to switch to the john9527-fork (to get access to a local DNS as well as support for exFat) but how do I do it?

I have downloaded the Asus Restoration Utitlity¹ since, as far as I understand it, you need that if you upgraded the official FW beyond a certain point (something with FCC regulations that really doesn't apply outside the US²) but now what? Factory reset? Restart in some kind of recovery mode? Can I restore my current settings back after the upgrade?

Thank you for your support!

¹ It took a while to realise that the Mac-version is available through App Store and not through Asus' web site.

² Google "Invalid Firmware Upload" "To comply with regulatory amendments, we have modified our certification rule to ensure better firmware quality. This version is not compatible with all previously released ASUS firmware and uncertified third-party firmware. Please check our official websites for the certified firmware."
You should post this in @john9527 Forum. Its at the top of the page. This is the link. https://www.snbforums.com/threads/fork-asuswrt-merlin-374-43-lts-releases-v37e4.18914/

You must do it that way, and every steps are important :
https://www.asus.com/us/support/FAQ/1000814

*Be patient, this way it can take between 5 to 30 minutes before the process is completed