What's new

How to limit user's internet speed when using low-tech ISP WIFI router?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Glakdo

New Around Here
I would like to control the download/upload speed of another computer which is connected to the same ISP provided WIFI router i am.

I know many routers have the option to log in to their interface and do it from there but unfortunately mine doesn't. Is there a software (free) or any other way to accomplish this on Windows 7/10?

Thanks in advance guys!

Are you talking about a wireless connection or a wired one? What speed do you want to limit it to?

EDIT: A search in Google comes up with this which might do what you want. I've never used it myself though.

Last edited:
Are you talking about a wireless connection or a wired one? What speed do you want to limit it to?

EDIT: A search in Google comes up with this which might do what you want. I've never used it myself though.
It's wireless. I'm looking at it right now, thanks for the link!

Who is your ISP? And what model gateway do you have? Some can be upgraded to 3rd party firmware for free, but if it's cable broadband, probably not. Also, when you say "control the speed" do you mean just to cap the wireless connection rate or throttle the traffic itself? Are you trying to limit congestion on your network or limit how much bandwidth the user uses? Last, I assume buying your own router is not an option?

What is the speed you are paying for (upload and download)?
If you want a method that does not need any additional software, you can try the following. (works well if the client you want to throttle can only use a single band).

It is rare to find a router with no web UI at all, they will at least have some stripped down settings, especially for basic things like changing WiFi passwords and possibly doing some compatibility related tasks.

If wireless one option is to see if you can restrict the band being used by the device to an older standard.
Dhx5XLD.jpg

Depending on the implementation, restricting the client to 802.11g speeds, will mean about 22Mbps if right next to the router, and around 10Mbps if in another room (in some cases,even if separated by just one wall).

If you have a low upload speed, and need to take extra steps to limit uploads, you can use the QOS controls built into windows.
In the group policy editor, go to Configuration\Policies\Windows Settings

you can then right click on the QOS option and create a new rule, and then just set a max speed for all applications. for both TCP and UDP.

------------

Another option is to cripple the WiFi performance on the client side through the advanced wifi adapter settings.

uZRET5E.jpg

Simply pick a mode and disable VHT.

802.11b will pretty much limit the user to at best 5-6Mbps.

Last edited:
Even if you are using low tech ISP wifi router, you can still be able to limit users internet speed through advance settings option at "mac filtering" subcategory.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!