What's new

Distinct wifi access per mac address/user ?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Z100

Occasional Visitor
Hello,

is there any operating system for routers (ideally: open source) that:
  1. allows me to create dedicated user/password per mac address ?
  2. allows be to set QoS/priority per mac address and/or user ?
  3. allows me to set wifi access window per user/mac address ? (access window: particular user can access wifi within set of hours and have no access or slow access out of this window)
This is for home wifi network.

I think doing everything by IP builds a much better network than by MAC. Radius would be a good start. If you want that much control.
Can you elaborate why by IP is better ? And how to manage it when you have a few connections a day (wifi on a mobile on and off -> I will get new IP everytime I reconnect).
I don't mind Radius.

For 1 & 3 you need Radius or some kind of Captive portal.
No 2 QoS per IP address can be done with pfsense. Also many access points can do that.

I think doing everything by IP builds a much better network than by MAC. Radius would be a good start. If you want that much control.

agreed - and with Radius one can define policy roles and apply them to an ACL, which would solve OP's problem...

MAC addresses these days are not a reliable indicator of a particular host, and I would go so far as to suggest that IP isn't as well, better would be hostname, which, along with certificates, would absolutely ID the host...

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!