What's new

how to set a route - help

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

StanleeSPUDwowski

Occasional Visitor
Hello and Good day.

Need some assistance with my current setup. I want to be able to browse both subnets in my home network. I currently have 2 ISP - sparklight cable 1gb and Century link dsl 80mb connections.

How would i go about setting this.

First network is Sparklight , modem connected to router wan port AX11000 MU-MIMO Tri-Band Gaming Router - LAN ports connected to various devices laptop, desktop, consoles - using a netgear 24port switch as well in this setup.

2nd network - Century link C4000br modem in bridge mode for now - lan port connected to Netgear xr500 router WAN port for PPPOE access. connected to a couple of devices for now work laptop and PS4 console.

I am thinking i would have to place a ethernet cord from LAN port to the netgear switch to access both network . SMB via Windows 10 and or UNC to browse other devices on both networks.

How would i go about setting this ? am i correct in the physical setup ?

To connect both LAN networks you would need a router between the two. Each interface on this router would act as a gateway to the other network. Additionally, you would need to create static routes on each router that points to the gateway address of the other network.

Even if you did this you wouldn't be able to "browse" one network from the other as browsing only works for the local subnet. You should be able to directly connect to devices on the other network if you know their IP address, providing their firewall allows it. Windows Firewall will block such access attempts by default so you would have to edit the firewall rules.

Need some assistance with my current setup. I want to be able to browse both subnets in my home network. I currently have 2 ISP - sparklight cable 1gb and Century link dsl 80mb connections.

How would i go about setting this.

Find a router that supports Dual-WAN connectivity?

Hate to be master of the obvious on this one...

Find a router that supports Dual-WAN connectivity?

Hate to be master of the obvious on this one...
Not all routers support dual wan connnection - some are only meant for NAS or similar device.

To connect both LAN networks you would need a router between the two. Each interface on this router would act as a gateway to the other network. Additionally, you would need to create static routes on each router that points to the gateway address of the other network.

Even if you did this you wouldn't be able to "browse" one network from the other as browsing only works for the local subnet. You should be able to directly connect to devices on the other network if you know their IP address, providing their firewall allows it. Windows Firewall will block such access attempts by default so you would have to edit the firewall rules.
Bascially i have CL and SL right now cable and DSL in my home. I have CL connected to an older Archer Tplink Router that servces it purpose 80mb connection for work. then I have home with TP link Archer X11000 router it has dual wan but it shows on tplink site that is meant for a NAS. I have a netgear xr500 router that i could use to handle this bridge would that work ?

do you guys have a discord support channel to help in real time?

Sorry, I'm not familiar with those routers or know their capabilities. I have to say that this sounds like a bad idea. It would be complicated to set up and probably result in a poor user experience. What specific problems are you trying to address? Perhaps there's a better way of doing it.