What's new

How To: Setting up File and Printer sharing between two routers

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Soulsniper

New Around Here
Hi, I've read the sites "How To: Setting up File and Printer sharing between two routers ", but I still can't get it to work.

Currently, a computer on the second router is able to look at file from a computer on the second router, but not vice versa. I also do have DHCP enabled on both routers because when I disabled it, I still couldnt not file share.

Both routers are different. The main is a router/modem from bell sympatico. The second is a D-link WBR-1310.

Can I get some help? I can redo what was suggested in the outline just pin-point what is important to do.

Thanks.

Not knowing which router/modem you have makes it difficult to help but assuming you may have an SpeedStream 6520, the switch/lan ports support auto mdi/x(any patch cable will work not needing an cross-over cable for switch->switch connections) Hooking the routers together lan->lan bypasses the NAT(WAN port or firewall) service on the second router freeing up any service blocking. Turn off the DHCP on second router as well, then set it's IP to something out of the range of the first routers DHCP pool but same network subnet and it should work. For example if the first routers IP is 192.168.1.254 with an DHCP pool of 192.168.1.100 through 192.168.1.199, try setting the second routers IP to something either 192.168.1.200 through 192.168.1.253 or the IP's 192.168.1.1 through 192.168.1.99 could be used, but if I know SpeedStreams they like to reserve IPs for service ease like the 192.168.1.1 might not work because it is also bound to the web config as is the 192.168.1.254. When you connect your computers to either router they will be assigned IP's out of the first routers DHCP pool thus being on same network allowing file/printer share. Good Luck!

Last edited:
As noted in the article:
If you really do need two routers, you're going to have to live with limitations on File and Printer sharing and Network Browsing. As mentioned previously, computers attached to each router will be able to browse and file and printer share with other clients attached to the same router.

But only computers attached to the second router will be able to exchange files with computers attached to the first router, and the clients attached to the second router must initiate the file transfers.

What happened to the "How to article"? I can only read the first page and then poof! it's gone.

Fixed. Problem was due to site changeover. Sorry for the problem.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!