What's new

How to use ASUS RT-AC68U in place of VODAFONE italian's FTTH router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

badboyme

Occasional Visitor
@RMerlin

Hi RMerlin,
I would like to submit the following problem to you:
I live in Italy and I have a Vodafone italian ISP's FTTH internet connection;
as many italian ISPs, Vodafone provides to me a GPON ONT (Huawei) and a VDSL Modem/Router VSR (Vodafone Station Revolution - also made by Huawei) in leasing.
The VSR is connected to the ONT in the following manner: VSR (WAN port) <----> ONT (LAN port) and ONT (GPON port) <---> Fiber cable that enter to my home.
I would like to use my ASUS RT-AC68u router in place of the buggy VSR Vodafone router, but there is one problem: beetween VSR and ONT there is a PPP session with a Vodafone PPP Host-Unique-tag that creates a non standard method to force Vodafone's users to use the VSR only to establish a connection (or, in others words, you normally can't use a router different from the VSR).
Reading around the italian forums, I seen that Vodafone uses a unknown username and the HEX of VSR S/N as password to establish the PPP internet session.
My question is: is it possible to add a code/script (with a mini-guide) to insert the 2 mentioned parameters in the PPPD process/daemon of your modded Asus firmware to use ASUS Router in place of the VSR Vodafone Router?

Here I found a link with some useful code (Sorry, but I am not a programmer): LINK

Thank you in advance!!
Best Regards from Italy! :)

@RMerlin

Hi RMerlin,
I would like to submit the following problem to you:
I live in Italy and I have a Vodafone italian ISP's FTTH internet connection;
as many italian ISPs, Vodafone provides to me a GPON ONT (Huawei) and a VDSL Modem/Router VSR (Vodafone Station Revolution - also made by Huawei) in leasing.
The VSR is connected to the ONT in the following manner: VSR (WAN port) <----> ONT (LAN port) and ONT (GPON port) <---> Fiber cable that enter to my home.
I would like to use my ASUS RT-AC68u router in place of the buggy VSR Vodafone router, but there is one problem: beetween VSR and ONT there is a PPP session with a Vodafone PPP Host-Unique-tag that creates a non standard method to force Vodafone's users to use the VSR only to establish a connection (or, in others words, you normally can't use a router different from the VSR).
Reading around the italian forums, I seen that Vodafone uses a unknown username and the HEX of VSR S/N as password to establish the PPP internet session.
My question is: is it possible to add a code/script (with a mini-guide) to insert the 2 mentioned parameters in the PPPD process/daemon of your modded Asus firmware to use ASUS Router in place of the VSR Vodafone Router?

Here I found a link with some useful code (Sorry, but I am not a programmer): LINK

Thank you in advance!!
Best Regards from Italy! :)

GOOD NEWS !!!!

I have just read this note about the changelog below:

ASUS DSL-AC55u - FW: v1.1.2.2_17
================================
From Changelog:
---------------
Bug fixes and Enhancements:
- Added host-uniq option for ISP Vodafone in Italy.

Is it now possible to import that feature (HOST-UNIQUE for Italian ISP Vodafone) on Merlin FW for RT-AC68u ???

Last edited: