What's new

I broke AIMesh after Merlin 388.2_2 upgrade

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

BGood

Regular Contributor
So I had been running Merlin 386.7_2 on both my AX11000 router and AC5300 node for a few months now. It mostly worked, and I had 2-4 devices that would be serviced by the AImesh node typically. Yesterday, I upgraded the AX11000 to 388.2_2 (dirty upgrade). Everything seemed normal, but I decided to upgrade the AC5300 to the latest stock firmware. I did that remotely, after which no devices connected to it. So I killed my mesh and started over. I get no errors, and the WiFi connection between the 2 devices is using the second 5GHz channel. The connection is "great" according to the AImesh.

But still I have zero devices connecting to the AC5300. Even when I go to the far reaches of my house, where the AC5300 should have been the closest device, nothing will use it. I've even tried to force some devices to use the AC5300 node, but they just don't seem to connect to it.

So what have I missed?

Thanks.

Try using 388.1. 388.2 & 388.2_2 on my GT-AX11000 would cause some weird issues with devices that were connected to my XT9 node, like they would go offline 12-24 hrs after a reboot, etc. 388.1 doesn't exhibit that issue for me but now that I'm testing a GT-AX11000 Pro, 388.2_2 doesn't have those issues on this router

My node now keeps going offline. And when it's online, nothing connects to it. So you're saying to go to 388.1? I thought there were more issues with that version.

Should I go back to 386.7_2 on my AX11000 and leave the stock firmware on the AC5300?

Yes try 388.1 to see. If that still has issues, then you can go back to 386.7 if needed but like I said, my GT-AX11000 did not like 388.2 and had issues with devices connected to my XT9 node while using it

This is what you missed:

A dirty upgrade to 388.2_2 final from 386.7_2 from a year ago is too big of a jump.

You need to flash 388.2_2 again on the main router and perform a full reset to factory defaults. Do the same on the node too (with its respective latest firmware that you want to use on it).

After performing the above, do a minimal and manual configuration to secure the router and connect to your ISP. Do not connect the node until you've finished fully configuring the main router.

Do not toggle options on/off to see what they do. Some of those options don't properly go back to the defaults afterward (and you'll need to do a full reset again to get back to a good/known state).

Don't use old firmware, worst possible option (if security is a concern for your network). The newest firmware works great when properly setup.

Do not toggle options on/off to see what they do. Some of those options don't properly go back to the defaults afterward (and you'll need to do a full reset again to get back to a good/known state).
Is that related to the AIMesh? Or is that true of Merlin builds? Or of Asus routers? Is there a list of the settings that don't toggle back properly?

All routers, IME.

Yuck. Such a slow slog to set up all over again! I haven't even gotten to the AIMesh yet, but I'm not sure things are as good as when I was on 386.7_2. Getting the VPN Server going again wasn't easy. I had exported my VPN Server cert before the reset, and imported it back in, but my clients wouldn't work. I had to change my cell phone from OpenVPN to the Arne Schwab version and I had to upgrade my laptop to OpenVPN 3.

I'm just going to stop doing anything for the moment. I'm wondering if I can manage without AIMesh. It seems I have enough complexity already.

Thanks for the help!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!