What's new

Ignorant Noob - Home Office Networking

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mb72378

New Around Here
Go easy on me. My networking abilities stop with basic routers and cabling.

I'm a FT 3D artist. Been working out of a home office for about a year. I have two beastly computers that are currently connected through our Google Fiber router. I have decided that it's time to pull them off the internet. I essentially use one for my main workstation and my 3D software uses a terminal daemon on the other that harnesses it's power for rendering.

Here's where I need some help. What is the best way for me to connect the two computers together?

Both of the computers are identical. Both Asus X99 deluxe boards. I have a gigabit switch somewhere. Do I need to use a router to connect them? Or can/should I connect them directly to each other?

I'm so out of my element. All I know is that I need a fast secure connection between the two with easy file sharing.

Thanks!

a switch + static IP will work. Otherwise just get a router with gigabit ports and it will be plug and play.

Connecting to router that is connected to internet will make no difference in performance than an isolated network only with a difference of a few Kb/s as the router will send messages on layer 2 from time to time. What really matters is the security of your router.

you can connect the switch to router and computers to the switch as well. You should consider a semi managed switch instead that supports LACP as if you are using linux or windows server you can combine both ethernet ports on your PCs and get double the bandwidth. Others will say thats not the case between 2 PCs but in truth both PCs will use all the bandwidth. It is something that i have tested before but in my case i used static bonding and i had a lot of bonding options to choose from.

What is wrong with them being connected via the GF router? The GF device should be Gig capable already.

So you don't want these two PCs to have any access to the Internet at all? How are you planning to get content onto them as well as patch?