What's new

Info: Stubby 0.2.3 (latest) is on entware.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

something a cant understand

with John fork stubby work perfectly but, with Merlin Firm and this config it’s not working!!?

Just be patient, it's a work in progress. It probably needs some more testing. I think @john9527 also needed time to get it working, to get people to test it etcetera. It's only been relatively short since stubby was added to the Entware package repository, so give the gents working on it a break and wait patiently.

Finally got Stubby to work!
Install Entware

opkg update
opkg install stubby
opkg install ca-certificates

Create a file: S61stubby in /opt/etc/init.d/

#!/bin/sh

ENABLED=yes
PROCS=stubby
ARGS="-g -v 5 -C /opt/etc/stubby/stubby.yml 2>/opt/var/log/stubby.log"
PREARGS="nohup"
DESC=$PROCS
PATH=/opt/sbin:/opt/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin

. /opt/etc/init.d/rc.func

chmod 755 /opt/etc/init.d/S61stubby

Create a file: /jffs/configs/dnsmasq.conf.add

server=127.0.0.1#5453

In Asus GUI, WAN, DNS Server 1 enter the LAN IP of your router (In my case it is 192.168.50.1). Leave DNS Server 2 blank.
In Asus LAN, DHCP Server, Enable DNSSEC support "No"

Reboot the router.

I am using the default stubby.yml (/opt/etc/stubby/stubby.yml) which defaults to Cloudflare 1.1.1.1 IPV4 but has entries for Cloudflare IPV6 and Quad9 insecure IPV4 and IPV6 which can be un-commented as needed.

To enable DNSSEC add this line to stubby.yml:

dnssec_return_status: GETDNS_EXTENSION_TRUE

If you use IPV6 add this line to dnsmasq.conf.add

server=0::1@5453

So far I've tested this to Cloudflare without DNSSEC, switched resolvers to Quad9 with DNSSEC successfully! Will see if it sticks overnight. Do not use VPN client so I can't test that.

Last edited:
On my AC-86U stubby always dies after a few seconds, no matter what config I use.

On my AC-86U stubby always dies after a few seconds, no matter what config I use.
Any clues in in the /opt/var/log/stubby.log?

admin@Router:/tmp/home/root# cat /opt/var/log/stubby.log
cat: can't open '/opt/var/log/stubby.log': No such file or directory

as soon as I ping a website or try to surf the process kills itself

admin@Router:/tmp/home/root# cat /opt/var/log/stubby.log
cat: can't open '/opt/var/log/stubby.log': No such file or directory

as soon as I ping a website or try to surf the process kills itself
Stubby may not create the log file if no errors. Do you have an /opt/var/log folder?

The nohup value in the S61stubby file is key to prevent stubby from being killed when you exit the shell.

Maybe try changing the -v 5 to -v 7 on the ARGS line in S61stubby. Might give you more info Logging for stubby not great. Turn off DNSSEC.

Finally got Stubby to work!
Install Entware

opkg update
opkg install stubby
opkg install ca-certificates

Create a file: S61stubby in /opt/etc/init.d/

#!/bin/sh

ENABLED=yes
PROCS=stubby
ARGS="-g -v 5 -C /opt/etc/stubby/stubby.yml 2>/opt/var/log/stubby.log"
PREARGS="nohup"
DESC=$PROCS
PATH=/opt/sbin:/opt/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin

chmod 755 /opt/etc/init.d/S61stubby

Create a file: /jffs/configs/dnsmasq.conf.add

server=127.0.0.1#5453

In Asus GUI, WAN, DNS Server 1 enter the LAN IP of your router (In my case it is 192.168.50.1). Leave DNS Server 2 blank.
In Asus LAN, DHCP Server, Enable DNSSEC support "No"

Reboot the router.

I am using the default stubby.yml (/opt/etc/stubby/stubby.yml) which defaults to Cloudflare 1.1.1.1 IPV4 but has entries for Cloudflare IPV6 and Quad9 insecure IPV4 and IPV6 which can be un-commented as needed.

To enable DNSSEC add this line to stubby.yml:

dnssec_return_status: GETDNS_EXTENSION_TRUE

If you use IPV6 add this line to dnsmasq.conf.add

server=0::1@5453

So far I've tested this to Cloudflare without DNSSEC, switched resolvers to Quad9 with DNSSEC successfully! Will see if it sticks overnight. Do not use VPN client so I can't test that.
Can you let us know your router model. Thanks. Trying to keep track of what routers and firmware stubby is working on.

Stubby may not create the log file if no errors. Do you have an /opt/var/log folder?

The nohup value in the S61stubby file is key to prevent stubby from being killed when you exit the shell.

Maybe try changing the -v 5 to -v 7 on the ARGS line in S61stubby. Might give you more info Logging for stubby not great. Turn off DNSSEC.

I did create that file now with touch. Yes, the path is correct. But still created with touch there are no logs stored in that file.
tried the -v 7 argument, still no luck :(
DNSSEC is off both in WebGui and config.

I did create that file now with touch. Yes, the path is correct. But still created with touch there are no logs stored in that file.
tried the -v 7 argument, still no luck :(
DNSSEC is off both in WebGui and config.
Did you bounce dnsmasq after updating /jffs/configs/dnsmasq.conf.add with the server=127.0.0.1#5453 line?

service restart _dnsmasq

RT-AC66U_B1 with Merlin 384.7 beta 2

Late last night I was getting delays resolving so I turned off DNSSEC in Stubby. Morning now and my Internet is still working. I have been listening to the BBC via iPlayer on my iPod for several hours. Will look into logging Stubby after morning tea and news..

Sent from my P01M using Tapatalk

Edit: for the record I use Winscp to create and edit files on the router as well as Putty.

Well, back to the drawing board. I noticed the USB Mode for my front USB port was set to USB 3.0 and the stick I'm using is USB 2.0 formatted to EXT 2. So, I switched to USB 2.0 mode which rebooted the router and stubby did not work after. Transmission on Entware and the swap file on the USB stick work so something in the Stubby setup went south... Will get back to this after chores are done... Meanwhile back with Quad9 in the WAN DNS settings.

You aren't going to be able to use a log file with the current base stubby code. Redirect of stderr does not work when a program is running in daemon mode. I had to patch to the stubby code to provide support for the log file.

You might try starting not in daemon mode since you are using nohup (leave out the -g option) and use 'nohup 2>&1' as the preargs. The log file should then be in nohup.out.

You aren't going to be able to use a log file with the current base stubby code. Redirect of stderr does not work when a program is running in daemon mode. I had to patch to the stubby code to provide support for the log file.

You might try starting not in daemon mode since you are using nohup (leave out the -g option) and use 'nohup 2>&1' as the preargs. The log file should then be in nohup.out.
So, should S61stubby look like this?

#!/bin/sh
ENABLED=yes
PROCS=stubby
ARGS="-v 5 -C /opt/etc/stubby/stubby.yml"
PREARGS="nohup 2>&1"
DESC=$PROCS

So, should S61stubby look like this?
That would be my guess. That should create a file nohup.out (somewhere, I'm not sure where....use
find / -name nohup.out
to see if it has been created). nohup.out should contain both stdout and stderr, both of which have log into.

Then if that works, you can try

nohup 2>&1 1>/opt/var/log/stubby.log
to see if you can change from nohup.out

That would be my guess. That should create a file nohup.out (somewhere, I'm not sure where....use
find / -name nohup.out
to see if it has been created). nohup.out should contain both stdout and stderr, both of which have log into.

Then if that works, you can try

nohup 2>&1 1>/opt/var/log/stubby.log
to see if you can change from nohup.out
Does not like:

PREARGS="nohup 2>&1"

Does not like:

PREARGS="nohup 2>&1"
What doesn't it like about it?

Try this instead:
Code:
ARGS="-v 5 -C /opt/etc/stubby/stubby.yml 2>&1"
PREARGS="nohup"

Or just go straight to:
Code:
ARGS="-v 5 -C /opt/etc/stubby/stubby.yml >/opt/var/log/stubby.log 2>&1"
PREARGS="nohup"

I finished the installer script and started working with another forum member to help test it yesterday. Then, Murphy showed up. I lost power for on hour. When it came back on, my laptop keyboard stopped working. Connecting another keyboard does not help. My laptop is in the repair shop now. Hoping to have it back in a few days so I can complete QA testing before releasing it to everyone. Sorry for the delay.

Any news in the meantime?

:)
We are close to concluding testing of the installer script. I feel good about going live with it sometime within the next five days.

What router model do you have? I want to find someone who has an AC86U.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!