What's new

Install on two different router models connected via AI Mesh

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

SvenXP

New Around Here
Hi,
i am running AI Mesh on two Asus router ( RT-AC68U and RT-AC86U (main router)). So how would this work best if i want to install the 386 version?
Install merlin on 86 and its installed automatically on the 68?
Or do i have to install it manually on both? If so, is there an order which works best?

Thx in advance.
br,
Sven

Hi,
i am running AI Mesh on two Asus router ( RT-AC68U and RT-AC86U (main router)). So how would this work best if i want to install the 386 version?
Install merlin on 86 and its installed automatically on the 68?
Or do i have to install it manually on both? If so, is there an order which works best?

Thx in advance.
br,
Sven

You must install model-specific firmware on each model.

I suggest you upload the remote node first and remove it from the AiMesh to automatically reset it.

Then upload the root node, webUI Restore w/Initialize to reset it, configure it from scratch, and add the remote node.

OE

You must install model-specific firmware on each model.

I suggest you upload the remote node first and remove it from the AiMesh to automatically reset it.

Then upload the root node, webUI Restore w/Initialize to reset it, configure it from scratch, and add the remote node.

OE
Ok, thanks :) . Guess will wait till its out of beta before changing everything.

One more question: if there are updates in the future, do i have to go the same way all the time?

Ok, thanks :) . Guess will wait till its out of beta before changing everything.

One more question: if there are updates in the future, do i have to go the same way all the time?

If using Asuswrt beta firmware, you must perform manual upgrades since the router webUI upgrade server is not serving beta firmware.

If using Asuswrt released firmware, you can use the webUI Check and Upgrade to upgrade all nodes at once. However, I've only done this with same nodes... so, I'm not sure how it behaves with different node models.

With different node models, you might choose to discriminate and perform manual upgrades for select nodes/firmware based on some insight. Maybe once AiMesh code firms up, this won't be so much a consideration... except upgrading firmware has always deserved some consideration.

If using Asuswrt-Merlin firmware or a mix, follow its website instructions.

OE

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!