What's new

Can I set up different wireless settings on AI Nodes in a mesh setup?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

pgershon

Regular Contributor
I have two houses, each with their own AI mesh neworks. One has three RT-AX92U (a base router and two nodes) and the other has an RT-AX86U as its router and three ZEN-A4 minis. In each, I can log into the GUI and change the wireless settings for the main router, but I am not sure how I address settings on the nodes? The question is especially relevant where the nodes are Zen minis as those units are quite different the an 86U and I might want to configure the wireless channels differently. Routers are also in different parts of the house facing different interference.

I hope this question makes sense.

I have two houses, each with their own AI mesh neworks. One has three RT-AX92U (a base router and two nodes) and the other has an RT-AX86U as its router and three ZEN-A4 minis. In each, I can log into the GUI and change the wireless settings for the main router, but I am not sure how I address settings on the nodes? The question is especially relevant where the nodes are Zen minis as those units are quite different the an 86U and I might want to configure the wireless channels differently. Routers are also in different parts of the house facing different interference.

I hope this question makes sense.

Node wireless settings are determined by the main router... all AiMesh WiFi uses the same band channel, bandwidth, etc. that you configure on the main router.

OE

That is too bad, especially since sometime the main router or node may have different capabilities.(like 6gHz band).

In the AIMesh section of the router config, you get some very basic setup for the nodes, but it's pretty much just the ability to turn bands on or off, and allow jumbo frames!

That is too bad, especially since sometime the main router or node may have different capabilities.(like 6gHz band).
Set them up as access points instead of mesh nodes?

Set them up as access points instead of mesh nodes?
Yup, that'd work if they're wired!
I guess the other question is: What settings are you wanting to change?

If I set them up at Access Points instead of nodes, don't I have more issues with devices getting "stuck" to the first router they bind to and not moving over to the stronger zone in next room? As I understand the advantage of mesh nodes, you get better coverage in "behind the nook and crannies" areas, and also do better jumping from node to node as your device moves (useful for phones, laptops etc). AP's are more useful for statically places devices that do not move around. And I am assuming AP's with same SSID.

Is that correct?

(I might want to change the channel frequency in some rooms vs others depending on interface from other devices. My biggest issue is interference from my CATV wireless, which I cannot turn off)

This will always be a tradeoff between AiMesh nodes using the same Control Channels as the main router and using AP mode where you can choose the Control Channel used, but which may also lead to other problems.

AiMesh doesn't give you better coverage nor does it allow better device movement. The coverage depends on the RF of the nodes and the WiFi environment they are in, and the 'stickiness' of devices is always on them (and their drivers).

AiMesh is better in dense environments because it doesn't use all the spectrum available.

Use the Control Channel on the main router that gives the best balance of performance, and reliability for your network.

Do not use any 'app' to determine this optimum Control Channel (they're all useless at this).

Instead, test each channel individually, with multiple clients in different key areas around the home. Don't pick the channel that gives you the maximum throughput either. Choose the channel that is the most responsive instead (i.e. lowest latency. Not measured but observed). Be sure you keep good notes during your testing of the above. Use the notes to find the best channel (no, you will not find a perfect channel, if you have a busy WiFi environment).

The above is superior to using an 'app' as it not only considers other WiFi sources in the immediate vicinity but also non-WiFi sources too.

A properly tuned WiFi network may not excel in any one area, except stability and reliability. All the other parameters are secondary, ime.

I mostly agree with the above. It's easier to use an WiFi Analyzer app to find the emptiest channels and try using them. It there are problems when configured to use the empty channels, then use the trial and error method above or rent a WiFi analyzer that reports interference.

I'd love to see the ability to place each node on different channels from the router as this increases throughput in a clean environment, something that is getting scarce.

Is that correct?

No. AiMesh is just marketing name for wired Access Points and wireless Repeaters with almost no control. What it does best is to sell more Asus routers even when not needed. From home "mesh" systems it's somewhere in the bottom/middle of the pack. From controller based multi-AP business solutions - very far. The only AiMesh (from 2.0) improvement over common Range Extender is VLANed guest network to "nodes". No user control there either.

Right now I have three RT-AX92u units operated as one router with two mesh nodes. The router crashes periodically, often overheating. I see in the logs authorization and deauthorizatiion of devices far away from the nodes. So I was thinking add an additional router, and make it a more powerful one so I can convert the router 92u unit to a node (and relocate it to where reception is bad). I bought a GT-AX 6000 and think this should work. But the AX6000 is dual band while the 92u units are tri band (two 5gHz bands). That is why I wanted the settings different on the Nodes than the router (3 band Vs 2).

As many have pointed out, I can do this making the 92u units APs rather than mesh nodes. What would I lose by doing that?

Asus AiMesh marketing is awesome! You already have 3x pretty bad unpopular models with issues and want more Asus routers in AiMesh?

Why do you need so many routers per network in first place? You're not making anything "more powerful". You're making it only worse.

With wires available I would dump all the mix and match pack collected and build a new Ubiquiti UniFi or TP-Link Omada system from scratch.

I bought the ASUS GT-AX 6000 and have it set as main router and have the 3 RT-AX 92u units working as nodes. The only thing confusing me is that the dashboard page of the GT-AX6000 shows 3 wireless bands (5-1 and 5-2) but treats it as just 1 wireless 5gHz band on all the other pages. It is not clear to me if the 92u units are using all of their 5gHz band capacity or ignoring the 5-2 band?

I am thoroughly confused as your system seems to have completely changed since your post on Tuesday!

Sorry - let me clarify. I asked initially because I was trying to think ahead in planning a change to my network. One part of my house was not getting strong enough 5gHz signal so I decided to add another AP or node. I had a system with 3 RT92u units with one acting as a router and the other two as notes. Rather than buying another RT92u, I purchased a GT AX- 6000 to act as router and I made all three 92u units MESH nodes. My coverage was improved immediately - problem solved.

My question related to the fact that the RT92u is technically called triband, with the 5gHz split into 5gHz-1 and 5gHz-2. The GT AX- 6000 is a dual band router and does not let me control 5gHz-1 and 5gHz-2 bands separately. On the wireless page for the router, there are only two band, 2.4gHz and 5gHz. But on the "dashboard" page of the router (see attached), two different 5gHz bands are displayed as existing. I am unclear if the 92u nodes are utilizing the entree 5gHz band or only half of it? These units in native mode split the band in two, but they cannot be set to do this from the GT AX- 6000 web setting page. So I am not sure what is happening. Good news is that it all seems to work better than it did.

(again, so no confusion, all zone are attached by wire - no wireless nodes)

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-06-17 at 2.50.00 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-06-17 at 2.50.00 PM.png
    982.2 KB · Views: 54
This is the third thread that I've looked at with your copy/paste post. Am pretty sure I saw at least one more listed. Kill off all but one of them.

This is the third thread that I've looked at with your copy/paste post. Am pretty sure I saw at least one more listed. Kill off all but one of them.
I put my message into more than one thread because I am desperate and wanted to increase the chance to be seen. But I deleted them now and open a new thread. I hope I’ll get a help soon. Thanks

Sorry - let me clarify. I asked initially because I was trying to think ahead in planning a change to my network. One part of my house was not getting strong enough 5gHz signal so I decided to add another AP or node. I had a system with 3 RT92u units with one acting as a router and the other two as notes. Rather than buying another RT92u, I purchased a GT AX- 6000 to act as router and I made all three 92u units MESH nodes. My coverage was improved immediately - problem solved.

My question related to the fact that the RT92u is technically called triband, with the 5gHz split into 5gHz-1 and 5gHz-2. The GT AX- 6000 is a dual band router and does not let me control 5gHz-1 and 5gHz-2 bands separately. On the wireless page for the router, there are only two band, 2.4gHz and 5gHz. But on the "dashboard" page of the router (see attached), two different 5gHz bands are displayed as existing. I am unclear if the 92u nodes are utilizing the entree 5gHz band or only half of it? These units in native mode split the band in two, but they cannot be set to do this from the GT AX- 6000 web setting page. So I am not sure what is happening. Good news is that it all seems to work better than it did.

(again, so no confusion, all zone are attached by wire - no wireless nodes)

The router should always be the most capable device as it's settings are propagated to the nodes. As your router is dual band, your nodes will get a dual band configuration. Make one of your tri band routers the router. Move your existing router to be a node and it will work best if it can have a wired backhaul as there will be a performance hit to use a dual band router with a wireless backhaul

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!