What's new

iPhone connecting to single stream after low power mode

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mine25

Occasional Visitor
I've noticed this issue where my phone's (iPhone 11 / IOS 16.4) WiFi connection is only single stream (433 Mbps) after recovering from low power mode, and stays like this until I disable and re-enable WiFi, when it goes back to normal (2-stream / 866Mbps connection). My router is an AC86U running the latest stock firmware. I tried resetting the router to defaults and re-configuring it from scratch, but the issue persists. I also did a network reset on my phone, with no effect. Do you have any suggestions / thoughts on how to fix this?

Do other devices on your network have this issue?

Actually yes, I just replicated the issue on my work phone, an iPhone 8. Unfortunately I don’t own an Android device to test on and my 2 Windows laptops seem to have a stable 2-stream 5G connection.

Looks like (old) Apple issues to me that may never get fixed. Even if you stumble across a workaround somehow.

Hope others can offer something that helps.

Looks like (old) Apple issues to me that may never get fixed. Even if you stumble across a workaround somehow.

Hope others can offer something that helps.
Seems like an Apple bug, will try to find a workaround. Thanks for replying!

Actually yes, I just replicated the issue on my work phone, an iPhone 8. Unfortunately I don’t own an Android device to test on and my 2 Windows laptops seem to have a stable 2-stream 5G connection.
iPad and Mac laptops running Ventura do the same thing. Probably a power saving feature. Fine unless you are running speed tests. Starting a big download will also (sometimes) shift them from 1 to 2 streams.

Same issue here with ROG GT-AX6000 and iPhone 14 Pro Max and Macbook Pro 16" M1 Pro (iOS 16.5.1(c) macOS 13.4.1(c))

I've noticed this issue where my phone's (iPhone 11 / IOS 16.4) WiFi connection is only single stream (433 Mbps) after recovering from low power mode, and stays like this until I disable and re-enable WiFi, when it goes back to normal (2-stream / 866Mbps connection). My router is an AC86U running the latest stock firmware. I tried resetting the router to defaults and re-configuring it from scratch, but the issue persists. I also did a network reset on my phone, with no effect. Do you have any suggestions / thoughts on how to fix this?
This is normal with IOS and iPadOS when you have the Battery settings 'Low Power Mode" toggled on. It temporarily reduces background activity like downloads and mail fetch until you can "fully" charge the iPhone. Switching to single stream is part of the process in trying to extend the battery power once you reach a certain percentage, I believe @30 If you do not want the feature just turn it off and it'll stay double streamed until the battery is exhausted.

Added:
Sorry just noticed it's an old thread but just the same @MrRojano97

Last edited:
This is normal with IOS and iPadOS when you have the Battery settings 'Low Power Mode" toggled on. It temporarily reduces background activity like downloads and mail fetch until you can "fully" charge the iPhone. Switching to single stream is part of the process in trying to extend the battery power once you reach a certain percentage, I believe @30 If you do not want the feature just turn it off and it'll stay double streamed until the battery is exhausted.

Added:
Sorry just noticed it's an old thread but just the same @MrRojano97
Hi again! The issue for me is present even when low power mode is off. After a while, the devices only gets 200 Mbps from 1200 Mbps Link.

Hi again! The issue for me is present even when low power mode is off. After a while, the devices only gets 200 Mbps from 1200 Mbps Link.
Is this speed while using the wireless? How do you measure the speed? With a good server close to you, you should at least get half of 1200 Mbps but there are some factors that influence the wireless speeds common factor are crowded channels. So run some tests on differend channels and see how it goes. Since you are linking @1200 Mbps two spatial streams are being used.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!