What's new

is Possible to use a USB3 Hub on USB port?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

elrengo

Regular Contributor
Hi! I would like to buy a hub usb3 for use with more than one hdd attached on my router. I'm interested for a powered hub usb. But before buy it I would like to know if the firmware accept it.
Thanks!

No way to know really. Buy and test is the only (best) way. :)

Hi! I would like to buy a hub usb3 for use with more than one hdd attached on my router. I'm interested for a powered hub usb. But before buy it I would like to know if the firmware accept it.
Thanks!
I have an SSD and HDD plugged into a powered USB3 Hub on one of my routers. It'll show in the router UI how many devices are plugged into its port.
So, go ahead and buy it.

I have an SSD and HDD plugged into a powered USB3 Hub on one of my routers. It'll show in the router UI how many devices are plugged into its port.
But I heard that the hub will force all drives to work in USB 2.0 mode. Is this true?

I just researched this recently and found USB3 hubs attached to the router will only operate in USB2 mode whether attached to the USB3 port or the USB2 port. I forget the reason why but, ASUS does not include any code to handle USB3 hub operation.

Officially no, as USB3 hubs require driver support.

I have a powered 4 port USB 3 hub connected to the USB 3 port on my rt-ac5300 (1 USB 2 HDD, 1 USB 3 HDD, 1 USB 2 memory stick). When I have the router set the port to usb3 I’ve noticed issue with my wifi so now I have it set to Usb2 (verified a few times it on and off) and everything have been good, so I assumed it was working in usb3 mode.

Thanks for your anwers! I need to check!

I have a powered 4 port USB 3 hub connected to the USB 3 port on my rt-ac5300 (1 USB 2 HDD, 1 USB 3 HDD, 1 USB 2 memory stick). When I have the router set the port to usb3 I’ve noticed issue with my wifi so now I have it set to Usb2 (verified a few times it on and off) and everything have been good, so I assumed it was working in usb3 mode.

But you your usb port is set to usb2 or usb3 can you monitor the transference rate?

I think there’s a market segment that could be happy with a 4-8 port GigE switch with 4-6port USB 3 hub, in one chassis with a common power supply. There used to be something similar in the Mac world during the FireWire days and I don’t see why these days are any different. But if it’s the matter of a driver or code in Asus routers...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry, I’ve never checked the transfer rate on my usb3 hdd when it was on usb3.
Don't worry I need to check it!

Thanks!

@elrengo,
say, did you ever make any progress with this ??
i also have 3 external usb3 drives,
thanks for your time

if 2.4 interference, is that enabling the usb3, or after adding a hub ?? i have had it enabled for a very long time now on my 86u

USB 3.0 devices will generate what they called "spread spectrum" noises from ranging from 1 GHz all the way up to 7.5 GHz but its peak, however, is near 2.4 GHz range which is right at the 2.4 GHz WiFi bands.. It's not just the hub, any 3.0 devices operating in 3.0 mode will "radiate" this noise (it's just part of the design from Intel). Now you can "shield" these noises on the main board of the router (and I'm sure Asus did all they can to reduce that on their 3.0 ports) but they CAN'T control what peripherals users connect to their 3.0 ports and this is why they give the option of which mode (USB 2.0 or 3.0) to operate under in their settings tab in case you ran into 2.4 GHz issue when using 3.0 devices then you can SWITCH over to 2.0 mode to eliminate radio interference (Asus is actually smart on their part for this but they NEED to COMMUNICATE this to their users as most people don't understand this or know about this).

In general, USB 3.0 will have interference with 2.4 GHz WiFi always, but depending on the (shielding) quality of the USB 3.0 cables and peripherals, the interference could be minimal or could be horrible. I was surprised by this myself but it seemed when Intel designed USB 3.0, they knew about this but not everyone followed their recommendations (because EMI shielding and testing are EXPENSIVE and most USB peripherals are designed to be as CHEAP as possible).

TL;DR: USB 3.0 is bad for 2.4 GHz period (unless you have really good equipment), operate in 2.0 mode if you want to have best 2.4 GHz experience!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!