What's new

is reboot schedule still broken on RT-AC86U with latest Merlin firmware 386.2_6?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

David Kremer

Occasional Visitor
For many years, there has been a bug on RT-AC86U, where the "reboot" scheduler shuts down the router, but does not actually reboot it. My routers are over 3,000 miles away, so this is an absolute disaster. It happened to me a couple times and I had to send someone to physically unplug them.

I don't understand how this can be a bug, given that the ability to remote reboot may be the most important feature that exists in a router. What is wrong with ASUS that this does not ring alarm bells? It's like a car that sometimes doesn't drive.

Is this bug finally fixed? Are there workarounds? I don't want to have to buy a "smart" outlet just to do a reboot that the router should be doing.

Thanks for any tips

the ability to remote reboot may be the most important feature that exists in a router.
Uh, I'll take the ability to route traffic before the ability to reboot a router...

I have never been able to reproduce that reboot problem anyway. You will have to try and see yourself if there is still an issue.

I've put seen that issue once, but after flashing to RMerlin firmware, fully resetting the router and doing A minimal and manual configuration, I haven't seen it since.

I've put seen that issue once, but after flashing to RMerlin firmware, fully resetting the router and doing A minimal and manual configuration, I haven't seen it since.
Like L&LD - I too suffered the reboot / shutdown problem many moons ago - but it never recurred after a Merlin upgrade flash followed by full factory reset and manual rebuilds of all settings. Two years ago - and never suffered the problem since.

For what it is worth, my ac86u with merlin exhibited this reboot freeze issue. And often. I solved my problem by adding a power supply which was rated another amp greater than the stock power supply.

Have not had a reboot freeze since. I have a strong suspicion that the shipped power supply is under rated for this router.