What's new

Issolate wifi clients but allow Samba/DNLA access?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

js19

New Around Here
I'm trying to issolate clients from each other and the intranet on the guest wifi, but still give them read access to the Samba and DNLA (on the AC68U).

I've found a thread on issolating clients on a specific interface from each other with
wl -i wl0.1 ap_issolate 1

And ebtables to block intranet access
ebtabes -I FORWARD -i wl0.1 -o ! eth0 -j DROP
ebtables -I FORWARD -i ! eth0 -o wl0.1 -j DROP

But this seems to block Samba etc. I readup on ebtables and iptables and tried adding different exceptions using the router mac or IP but I can't work out how to allow access to Samba & DNLA.

Any suggestions?

Shouldnt there be a "-p ! 445" in there aswell?

Or make it jump to another middle-rule first you make, not directly to DROP:

ebtabes -I FORWARD -i wl0.1 -o ! eth0 -j SMBDLNA

then in a rule you've called SMBDLNA you have:

ebtabes -I FORWARD -p ! 445 -p ! 8200 -j DROP

Im just speculating here, and i DO NOT know the CORRECT formatting, just applying logic to what you've written.

Solution

Found this thread about bug in an earlier build where router access was enabled from guest http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showthread.php?t=17378&page=5

I only have a basic understanding of ebtables. Only just found that ebtables -L didn't list broute rules (need to use ebtables -t broute -L ) and that broutes were executed first.

Solution: Adding these rules allows guest wifi 1 access to Samba. Just repeat or add port ranges for other services.
ebtables -t broute -I BROUTING 1 -i wl0.1 -pIPv4 --ip-protocol TCP --ip-dst <routerIP> --ip-destination-port 445 -j ACCEPT
ebtables -t broute -I BROUTING 1 -i wl1.1 -pIPv4 --ip-protocol TCP --ip-dst <routerIP> --ip-destination-port 445 -j ACCEPT

Seems to solve my problem.