What's new

Issue with Internet disconnected

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

martinisonline

New Around Here
Hello,

Since about six months ago, I'm having randomly internet failures in my router. It works flawless for days/some weeks and studently, for an unknown reason (for me) the internet just stops working.

Disabling and re-Enabling the internet using the Internet Connection button in the Internet Status menu solves the problem. But it is a issue when I'm away from home and want to connect the home network, unable to restart the internet connection remotely.

I tend to believe (without any evidence) that it can be something related with provider IP release/renew.

The connections are: Provider Router (configured as bridge) -> Asus RT-AC86U -> Home Network
The Asus router receives the public IP.

The system:
Router: RT-AC86U
FW: 386.4

Is there any automated way/script that can be run automatically that any time the internet disconnects, attempt to restart it like the same behavior of the Internet Connection button Disable/Enable?

Thanks,

Br,

Attachments

• Annotation 2022-01-28 181814.jpg
    Annotation 2022-01-28 181814.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 73
If the problem is related to duration (i.e., it's not totally random, but something that always takes days if not weeks to develop), then you might be a good candidate to reboot the router on a regular basis, something that can be configured under Administration->System->Enable Reboot Scheduler.

Granted, this isn't identifying or solving the specific problem. But stuff like this tends to go unsolved many times. And in the meantime, it's causing headaches. So a regular reboot might be warranted for some users.

As @Tech Junky suggests, the alternative is a script targeting the restart of the WAN. But obviously there's no assurance it will work.

there's no assurance it will work.
I had some issues when using an internal AC2600 card as an AP using hostapd. I dug into the .service files for each radio and adjusted the restart options to make sure it would restore when it would kill the processes randomly.

Code:
[Unit]
Description=Advanced IEEE 802.11 AP and IEEE 802.1X/WPA/WPA2/EAP Authenticator
After=network.target

[Service]
Type=forking
PIDFile=/run/hostapd.pid
Restart=always
RestartSec=10
Environment=DAEMON_CONF=/etc/hostapd/hostapd2.conf
EnvironmentFile=-/etc/default/hostapd2
ExecStart=/usr/sbin/hostapd -B -P /run/hostapd.pid -B $DAEMON_OPTS ${DAEMON_CONF}

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target

Since the AC2600 had 2 radios / 2 configuration files managed in Linux required 2 service files to make each independent radio / conf come online automatically rather than a manual start after reboot.

Anything is possible when you think outside of the box and improve upon the original use case.

Is there any automated way/script that can be run automatically that any time the internet disconnects, attempt to restart it like the same behavior of the Internet Connection button Disable/Enable?
This 'polling' script should get you started
unless there is a trackable/reliable real-time Syslog 'event' message that is observed in your environment, which can ultimately be used to trigger a WAN recovery script immediately.

This 'polling' script should get you started
unless there is a trackable/reliable real-time Syslog 'event' message that is observed in your environment, which can ultimately be used to trigger a WAN recovery script immediately.

Thank you all for your fast and helpful messages.

Checked the log, and didn't found any message relevant in the time range the internet gone down today.

Just installed the script @Martineau advised, to run on the wan-start event just to restart the wan interface if the ping fails. The next step will be the full router reboot. It is running... now lets wait and see.

Thank you very much again.

Br,

I will try that script too. I've got the same problem occasionally with my AC86U since I bought it about two years ago. By any chance @martinisonline do you have Telia as internet provider? Thinking about wan dhcp settings.
I came from a AC68U which was rock solid in comparison...

Last edited:
I tend to believe (without any evidence) that it can be something related with provider IP release/renew.

The connections are: Provider Router (configured as bridge) -> Asus RT-AC86U -> Home Network
The Asus router receives the public IP.

The system:
Router: RT-AC86U
FW: 386.4

Does your WAN IP change when you have these troubles? that's your ISP re-balancing things/rotating customers around on their servers...and that can mess with things on your network.
Make note of your current WAN IP. next time you have this issue, check if it has changed BEFORE rebooting.

Solution: DDNS. I recommend Hurricane Electric's tunnelbroker.net
Side bonus: if you didn't already have an IPv6 connection from your ISP, tunnel providers can grant that access/functionality to you

I will try that script too. I've got the same problem occasionally with my AC86U since I bought it about two years ago. By any chance @martinisonline do you have Telia as internet provider? Thinking about wan dhcp settings.
I came from a AC68U which was rock solid in comparison...

No, the provider is a Portuguese one - NOS. I moved to a new house, and changed from a cable router to a fiber router from the provider (is the same provider). I start to notice the problem when moved to the Fiber router. Before, I hadn't this issues, with the same ASUS equipment, with the former cable router.

Does your WAN IP change when you have these troubles? that's your ISP re-balancing things/rotating customers around on their servers...and that can mess with things on your network.
Make note of your current WAN IP. next time you have this issue, check if it has changed BEFORE rebooting.

Solution: DDNS. I recommend Hurricane Electric's tunnelbroker.net
Side bonus: if you didn't already have an IPv6 connection from your ISP, tunnel providers can grant that access/functionality to you

I'm not sure, because when this problem happens, and when I disconnect and reconnect the internet connection the public IP changes, but I can't figure it out if changed previously. If the script do not work, I will try to record the IP in a regular basis to see if there is a correlation.

I also have a DDNS but I don't think it is helpful in this case.

I'm not sure, because when this problem happens, and when I disconnect and reconnect the internet connection the public IP changes, but I can't figure it out if changed previously. If the script do not work, I will try to record the IP in a regular basis to see if there is a correlation.

I also have a DDNS but I don't think it is helpful in this case.
My router and ISP are very stable and reliable, but I've found that when I do need to reboot the router, rebooting the bridged ISP equipment first (and letting it complete its boot cycle) always "helps" the router. maybe this will help you as well.