What's new

Issues with Home Assistant

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Scott Kaforey

Occasional Visitor
I just migrated from an AC68 to an AC88. Previously I had home assistant running without any issues at all. I had 2 cell phones on my network that were monitored using nmap from the home assistant to tell if my wife and I were home. Both phones are setup with static DHCP.

After switching over to the AC88, I noticed I was getting a bunch of false positives, meaning that home assistant wasn't able to locate me on the network (I'm guessing nmap uses ping?). This happens throughout the day.

In addition, a few devices I have setup on home assistant are unable to to be communicated with. My wifi smart switches can't connect for whatever reason when the home assistant is restarted. They also are setup with static DHCP. I connected directly with the home assistant and ping'd the smart devices and they respond instantly.

Restarting the router seems to fix things temporarily.

I did start fresh on the AC88 (no copying of config files or anything). All of my wifi information is the same (since all the devices immediately connect to whatever router is on). I went through seemingly every single page of configurations to make sure all the settings match. The only difference is that my old router was on 384.7 and my new one is on 384.13.

I know this isn't directly related to Merlin, but my thought is that there's some sort of setting somewhere that might be blocking, rate limiting, throttling, caching, or SOMETHING that I can't think of. While I was having problems, I unplugged the new AC88, plugged in the old AC68 and everything immediately started working again.

I'm really at a loss here and hoping someone can help me out.

Why are you running that much older firmware on both? :)

Instead of just using the settings that worked on that old firmware, I would suggest trying 384.15 Beta 1 and changing settings if/as needed instead.

Many features/options may have been depreciated since that firmware and you'll need to find current working settings instead. :)

To make sure it isn't an issue with re-using old SSID's (see link in my signature for Why a new SSID?), create a new network using the Nuclear Reset and M&M Config guides too.

With a full reset of your router, network and client devices, troubleshooting will be more straightforward too, if needed. :)

I have a feeling though that if you follow the guides suggested to get your router/network to a good/known state, the issues you're facing may simply disappear. ;)