What's new

AX58U issues

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

StephenM36

New Around Here
Not sure if correct forum. Upgraded from an old nighthawk to the AX58U. It's a whole house router that seems to work well with one exception. It causes my IPTV to buffer quite a bit. Fiber to router, then Ethernet to firestick. I know it's the router because when I direct connect the fiber to the firestick it works fine. Will upgrading to the AX88u pro fix this? Or is this a setting issue? Im on the newest merlin firmware and default settings.

default settings

All TrendMicro components still Disabled?

1702254276806.png

Default settings means nothing TrendMicro and no QoS. Can you confirm?

What's the ISP line speed?

This is normal. VPN speed is limited by the CPU and other external factors.

RT-AX58U is an entry-level router, but in light configuration may work well for you.

This is normal. VPN speed is limited by the CPU and other external factors.

RT-AX58U is an entry-level router, but in light configuration may work well for you.
I agree, I'm not worried about the speed, 100mbps should be enough to easily run IPTV service.

So you run it through VPN? How you run it through VPN when "direct connect the fiber" experiment? It's perhaps the VPN and not the router.

So you run it through VPN? How you run it through VPN when "direct connect the fiber" experiment? It's perhaps the VPN and not the router.
Vpn is on the firestick, not the router. Buffers with it on and off when connected through the router. Runs free when direct.

Got it. When enabling firmware options on your Asus router go one by one and see what is causing it. This is the only way to troubleshoot.

It causes my IPTV to buffer quite a bit. Fiber to router, then Ethernet to firestick.

What firestick - there are a lot of variants there...

That being said - reset the firestick and see what happens - Amazon is pretty good about adaptive framerates on their devices...

If the firestick doesn't work out - my suggestion would be Google's Chromecast with Google TV...