What's new

Kamoj Kamoj Add-on 5.1 Beta testing poll

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Do you want to beta test Kamoj add-on v5.1b1?

• No, I don't trust 3rd party software

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, I don't use the Voxel firmware

• No, I don't like your add-on

• Total voters
Kamoj Im so happy my name now is in the history of the Kamoj-addon. Thank you so damn much! I've left Adguard home, not because it dont work. Have had no problem with your setup at all. But I like to be inside my closed system as much as possible and you have made the DNS privacy the control panel i need. My experience is that it's smoother too, to use the original kamoj-setup for dns-crypt.

Im sitting and really try take in all you done with this router GUI. All the information that is available to me, all the extended logging I can check, all the options I have for what and when I need. It's damn art. You can do this that is clear and what I experience you are wise with what you do.

Its a beta, and I dont use to be so interested in betas, much can go wrong. But this beta, with your transparency, the guidance, and the support I feel really safe. And if some update in the future cause my router to go up in flames that is fine too:) It's part of the beta game and I want to have your art as early as possible. So I hope you keep doing what you do and keep push the limits. My router is spoiled with how good this project been going. And from reading the tech-talk here I understand that it's core stuff you are working with I admire that you take the challenges and I understand that some of what you do, that maybe are the hardest, may not be so flashy to the end user. It just works. And this Voxel/Kamoj firmware keep make the reach of the router a whole lot better, the experience smoother and allot more fun when I myself can influence things.

I get your updates installed in a minute. All is up and running. I have my check boxes, in seconds I change what I want and can if I want learn and understand allot of what is happening behind the scenes through the add-ons transparency and logs.

Oh, that was a nice reading, thank you. Especially for being "ok" with some bugs in the betas :oops:.
Messages and reports from "all" users is what drives the add-on publishing going on.
If I had no feedback there would be no more releases.
So thank you every beta-tester and reporters.
Kamoj Im so happy my name now is in the history of the Kamoj-addon. Thank you so damn much! I've left Adguard home, not because it dont work. Have had no problem with your setup at all. But I like to be inside my closed system as much as possible and you have made the DNS privacy the control panel i need. My experience is that it's smoother too, to use the original kamoj-setup for dns-crypt.

Im sitting and really try take in all you done with this router GUI. All the information that is available to me, all the extended logging I can check, all the options I have for what and when I need. It's damn art. You can do this that is clear and what I experience you are wise with what you do.

Its a beta, and I dont use to be so interested in betas, much can go wrong. But this beta, with your transparency, the guidance, and the support I feel really safe. And if some update in the future cause my router to go up in flames that is fine too:) It's part of the beta game and I want to have your art as early as possible. So I hope you keep doing what you do and keep push the limits. My router is spoiled with how good this project been going. And from reading the tech-talk here I understand that it's core stuff you are working with I admire that you take the challenges and I understand that some of what you do, that maybe are the hardest, may not be so flashy to the end user. It just works. And this Voxel/Kamoj firmware keep make the reach of the router a whole lot better, the experience smoother and allot more fun when I myself can influence things.

I get your updates installed in a minute. All is up and running. I have my check boxes, in seconds I change what I want and can if I want learn and understand allot of what is happening behind the scenes through the add-ons transparency and logs.

Last edited:
Hello,

Kamoj, just some feedback:

The DNSCrypt server save option works for me and is a nice addition.

Also my OpenVPN connection is working better but still stalls...however I don't really notice as the OpenVPN restart option seems to be bringing it back up! Thank you.

Speaking of VPNs...I've tried Softether on my other network and it really runs well. Reliable and fast. I don't even know if it is feasible, but if it is, would you consider adding support for Softether at some point in the future?

Thanks,
BL

Thank you, really good to get feedback!
I'll make the restart supervision "better" in a future release, but for now it works for some scenarios, not all.
Maybe also a complete router reboot may be added as alternative.

As for SoftEther I have no experience.
As I don't have a build environment I'm not able to compile the source for R7800/R9000, but others like Voxel are:
I advice you to install Entware and go on from there!
http://www.voxel-firmware.com/Downloads/Voxel/html/entware.html
Please report back!

Hello,

Kamoj, just some feedback:

The DNSCrypt server save option works for me and is a nice addition.

Also my OpenVPN connection is working better but still stalls...however I don't really notice as the OpenVPN restart option seems to be bringing it back up! Thank you.

Speaking of VPNs...I've tried Softether on my other network and it really runs well. Reliable and fast. I don't even know if it is feasible, but if it is, would you consider adding support for Softether at some point in the future?

Thanks,
BL

Reactions: KW.
Thank you, really good to get feedback!
I'll make the restart supervision "better" in a future release, but for now it works for some scenarios, not all.
Maybe also a complete router reboot may be added as alternative.

As for SoftEther I have no experience.
As I don't have a build environment I'm not able to compile the source for R7800/R9000, but others like Voxel are:
I advice you to install Entware and go on from there!
http://www.voxel-firmware.com/Downloads/Voxel/html/entware.html
Please report back!

Thanks for the suggestion on Entware. I haven't done anything with it for some time (and I'm a novice on most everything anyway) but I may give it a try whenever things slow down for me. If I do, I will let you know how it goes.

I did run into one instance where OpenVPN restart did not work... but it looked to be associated with a loss of connection to my time server so nothing to do with the add-on.

For now, I decided to get back on WireGuard. Running well. One thing though, the status text on the Kamoj Router Information page gives an error:

Wireguard Client Status ERROR wg0: No wg0 107.108.85.31

Yet the WireGuard Client Name in the line above the status shows the correct client and ip - and WireGuard is up and connected.

Best wishes all.
BL

Hello,

I've got a question about the Kamoj Add-on "DHCP DNS Options". Does the "Added DNS" servers listed there simply add to whatever DNS servers are already in resolv.conf? Or do the ones listed in Kamoj override the ones in the Netgear Setup/resolv.conf? Same question for what you list in "Include default DNS".

Kind of an embarrassing question to ask at this point. Everything is working fine, so this is not a bug report... but a recent check of DNS servers being used makes me question my understanding of the added DNS feature in the add-on.

If someone could explain it to me I would sure appreciate it.

Thanks,
BL

Reactions: KW.
From release_notes:
- Settings: DHCP DNS Options: Added for custom DNS, e.g. a Raspberry Pi

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/r7800-wifi-router-login-dns-relay.50389/#post-449327
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/r7800-dns-setting-for-the-lan-dhcp-server.55802/#post-475665
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/c...-r7800-v-1-0-2-72sf.59894/page-15#post-599572
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/c...8sf-hw-v-9-2-5-1-18-1sf-hw.64414/#post-589376
"Include default DNS" is a safety only, used if the other service is not connected, using the router itself (default).
Hello,

I've got a question about the Kamoj Add-on "DHCP DNS Options". Does the "Added DNS" servers listed there simply add to whatever DNS servers are already in resolv.conf? Or do the ones listed in Kamoj override the ones in the Netgear Setup/resolv.conf? Same question for what you list in "Include default DNS".

Kind of an embarrassing question to ask at this point. Everything is working fine, so this is not a bug report... but a recent check of DNS servers being used makes me question my understanding of the added DNS feature in the add-on.

If someone could explain it to me I would sure appreciate it.

Thanks,
BL

Thank you Kamoj. I searched the forum and found so many posts - yet not those. I read through the links you provided and then telneted into the router to have a look. Now I get it!

BL

Hi, I have noticed that my MTD Flash Usage seems a bit high @87.5% (in yellow). Anything to be concerned about? Anyway to decrease it, or just leave well enough alone? Thanks

Screenshot from 2020-07-07 12-29-11.png

Hello,

On my R9000 the other memory/storage values are slightly higher than yours - but more or less in the same range. However, my MTD Flash is exactly the same at 87.5%. Now that I think about it, I have never seen it at any value other than 87.5%. I expect the value would remain relatively constant but it makes me wonder if the reading is working? I guess I could try to check it out, but has anyone else seen a different value?

BL

not sure why it is yellow on a R9000.
on my R7800 it is still green while the used percentage is higher (85.9 %) and the amount of free space is much lower (as it only has 128 MB in total)

But I also do wonder what data sit inside that MTD Flash. Name suggests UBI data.
But according to flash info, UBI size is only 4 MB. Which also makes no sense, because the overlay that also sits on that UBI flash, is already 50 MB. So I guess flash info is not 100% accurate either.

Probably, as long as you don't add a new volume to UBI, the free space will remain the same.

Check kamoj add on:
- Settings: flash info : show
For the R9000 I can not check, but if you find something wrong with the add-on figures, I'll try to correct.
not sure why it is yellow on a R9000.
on my R7800 it is still green while the used percentage is higher (85.9 %) and the amount of free space is much lower (as it only has 128 MB in total)

But I also do wonder what data sit inside that MTD Flash. Name suggests UBI data.
But according to flash info, UBI size is only 4 MB. Which also makes no sense, because the overlay that also sits on that UBI flash, is already 50 MB. So I guess flash info is not 100% accurate either.

Probably, as long as you don't add a new volume to UBI, the free space will remain the same.

Check kamoj add on:
- Settings: flash info : show

That was where I was refering to. For me, for the it shows this:
Code:
FLASH TYPE NAND: 
mtd0 : qcadata _ _nand _ worn bad:0 _factory bad:0 _bad allowed:t writable:t ecc errors:0 _ size: 13107200 bytes 
mtd1 : APPSBL _ _ nand _ worn bad:0 _factory bad:0 _bad allowed:t writable:t ecc errors:0 _ size: _5242880 bytes 
mtd2 : APPSBLENV _nand _ worn bad:0 _factory bad:0 _bad allowed:t writable:t ecc errors:0 _ size: _ 524288 bytes 
mtd3 : ART _ _ _ _nand _ worn bad:0 _factory bad:0 _bad allowed:t writable:t ecc errors:0 _ size: _1310720 bytes 
mtd4 : ART.bak _ _nand _ worn bad:0 _factory bad:0 _bad allowed:t writable:t ecc errors:0 _ size: _1310720 bytes 
mtd5 : kernel _ _ nand _ worn bad:0 _factory bad:0 _bad allowed:t writable:t ecc errors:0 _ size: _2228224 bytes 
mtd6 : rootfs _ _ nand _ worn bad:0 _factory bad:0 _bad allowed:t writable:t ecc errors:0 _ size: 31326208 bytes 
mtd7 : netgear _ _nand _ worn bad:0 _factory bad:0 _bad allowed:t writable:t ecc errors:0 _ size: 71827456 bytes 
mtd8 : firmware _ nand _ worn bad:0 _factory bad:0 _bad allowed:t writable:t ecc errors:0 _ size: 33554432 bytes 
mtd9 : crashdump _nand _ worn bad:0 _factory bad:0 _bad allowed:t writable:t ecc errors:0 _ size: _ 524288 bytes 
mtd10: language _ nand _ worn bad:0 _factory bad:0 _bad allowed:t writable:t ecc errors:0 _ size: _3670016 bytes 
mtd11: config _ _ nand _ worn bad:0 _factory bad:0 _bad allowed:t writable:t ecc errors:0 _ size: _1179648 bytes 
mtd12: pot _ _ _ _nand _ worn bad:0 _factory bad:0 _bad allowed:t writable:t ecc errors:0 _ size: _1179648 bytes 

FLASH TYPE NOR: 
mtd13: m25p80 _ _ nor _ _bad allowed:f writable:t size: _ _65536 bytes 

FLASH TYPE UBI: 
Device: ubi0 _ _ _type:ubi _ bad blocks:0 _Allowed bad blocks:5 _Max/mean erase counters:141/114size: _4190208 bytes 
mtd14: cert _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ubi _Volume:0 State:OK _ size: _ 126976 bytes 
mtd15: pot.bak _ _ _ _ _ _ _ubi _Volume:1 State:OK _ size: _ 380928 bytes 
mtd16: traffic_meter _ _ _ _ubi _Volume:2 State:OK _ size: _1777664 bytes 
mtd17: traffic_meter.bak _ _ubi _Volume:3 State:OK _ size: _1777664 bytes 
mtd18: dongle _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ubi _Volume:4 State:OK _ size: _1777664 bytes 
mtd19: overlay_volume _ _ _ ubi _Volume:5 State:OK _ size: 58408960 bytes

but I do not see the logic how these sizes add up to the 110 MB usage (or 128 MB size) that is mentioned on the Router Info page.

also MTD6 = rootfs -> flash info says it is 30 MB.
But df -h on the router says it is 50MB.

rootfs use a special compressing file system, you can compare it to a zip-file.
It's impossible to know how much it will hold as it depends on how much it can be compressed.
That's why the Router Information shows eg:
33.6 % 16.738 / 49.836 MB MTD Block:mtd6 ("rootfs" 31.326 MB) Type:nand. File system: squashfs.
So physical size is 31.326 MB...

Years ago I set the limit for green to 86% since I wanted a warning if my R7800 increased memory usage!
Since then R9000 seems to have increased usage without anyone telling me!
I can change it to 88% for next release if you want to keep it green! :D
Hi, I have noticed that my MTD Flash Usage seems a bit high @87.5% (in yellow). Anything to be concerned about? Anyway to decrease it, or just leave well enough alone? Thanks

Hello,

I'm new here in this community. So first of all, I would like to thank to Kamoj for his great job.
There was a discussion about the MTD Flash Usage. My R7800 shows 85.9 % - 110 / 128 MB.
As I was listing the flash info, I found out, that there are some ecc errors on mtd7.
Is it something, which I should concern or worry about?

I'm using Voxel firmware V1.0.2.78SF and Kamoj Add-on V5.3b17.
This is my "flash info":

FLASH TYPE NAND:
mtd0 : qcadata _ _nand _ worn bad:0 _factory bad:0 _bad allowed:t writable:t ecc errors:0 _ size: 13107200 bytes
mtd1 : APPSBL _ _ nand _ worn bad:0 _factory bad:0 _bad allowed:t writable:t ecc errors:0 _ size: _5242880 bytes
mtd2 : APPSBLENV _nand _ worn bad:0 _factory bad:0 _bad allowed:t writable:t ecc errors:0 _ size: _ 524288 bytes
mtd3 : ART _ _ _ _nand _ worn bad:0 _factory bad:0 _bad allowed:t writable:t ecc errors:0 _ size: _1310720 bytes
mtd4 : ART.bak _ _nand _ worn bad:0 _factory bad:0 _bad allowed:t writable:t ecc errors:0 _ size: _1310720 bytes
mtd5 : kernel _ _ nand _ worn bad:0 _factory bad:0 _bad allowed:t writable:t ecc errors:0 _ size: _2228224 bytes
mtd6 : rootfs _ _ nand _ worn bad:0 _factory bad:0 _bad allowed:t writable:t ecc errors:0 _ size: 31326208 bytes
mtd7 : netgear _ _nand _ worn bad:0 _factory bad:0 _bad allowed:t writable:t ecc errors:2272size: 71827456 bytes
mtd8 : firmware _ nand _ worn bad:0 _factory bad:0 _bad allowed:t writable:t ecc errors:0 _ size: 33554432 bytes
mtd9 : crashdump _nand _ worn bad:0 _factory bad:0 _bad allowed:t writable:t ecc errors:0 _ size: _ 524288 bytes
mtd10: language _ nand _ worn bad:0 _factory bad:0 _bad allowed:t writable:t ecc errors:0 _ size: _3670016 bytes
mtd11: config _ _ nand _ worn bad:0 _factory bad:0 _bad allowed:t writable:t ecc errors:0 _ size: _1179648 bytes
mtd12: pot _ _ _ _nand _ worn bad:0 _factory bad:0 _bad allowed:t writable:t ecc errors:0 _ size: _1179648 bytes

thank you in advance
Fanek

Thank you Kamoj. I searched the forum and found so many posts - yet not those. I read through the links you provided and then telneted into the router to have a look. Now I get it!

BL
I had to edit /etc/init.d/net-lan (inserting 3 rows of "option dns") after every firmware update. It's much easier to set it in the field and click OK. Thank you Kamoj, that's great.

I really don't know how fast these hw-issues deteriorate. I'm just happy to find a way to extract the info.
I'm no HW expert - either.
All found errors have been corrected, but maybe you should keep an eye on it and see if it gets worn bad - because that's not good.
Hello,

I'm new here in this community. So first of all, I would like to thank to Kamoj for his great job.
There was a discussion about the MTD Flash Usage. My R7800 shows 85.9 % - 110 / 128 MB.
As I was listing the flash info, I found out, that there are some ecc errors on mtd7.
Is it something, which I should concern or worry about?

I'm using Voxel firmware V1.0.2.78SF and Kamoj Add-on V5.3b17.
This is my "flash info":

FLASH TYPE NAND:
mtd7 : netgear _ _nand _ worn bad:0 _factory bad:0 _bad allowed:t writable:t ecc errors:2272size: 71827456 bytes

thank you in advance
Fanek

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!