What's new

Kamoj Kamoj Add-on 5.1 Beta testing poll

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Do you want to beta test Kamoj add-on v5.1b1?

• No, I don't trust 3rd party software

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, I don't use the Voxel firmware

• No, I don't like your add-on

• Total voters
I'd also want to test the beta on my R7800 . Is it possible to get signal strength per wireless connected device?

Yes, and it's already supported. Go to Advanced -> Kamoj Addon -> Router Info. Then go to the standard logs and it'll be there.

Or, go to Kamoj's Settings and click on WiFi Info at the bottom

@kamoj

AdBlock auto-update works. Though it appears to use GMT time instead of the one set by myself. I'm in the CET/CEST zone, so if I want it to update at 4 o'clock in the morning my time, have to use "0 2 * * *" here. Not a big deal. I'm happy it works now

Ok, good you are somewhat happy!:D

Strange, because I use and start the cron job with your current time zone....
What do you get from:
Code:
nvram get time_zone
date +%z
I'm sure we can get this right as well.
How do you know it runs at GMT time always?
@kamoj

AdBlock auto-update works. Though it appears to use GMT time instead of the one set by myself. I'm in the CET/CEST zone, so if I want it to update at 4 o'clock in the morning my time, have to use "0 2 * * *" here. Not a big deal. I'm happy it works now

Ok, good you are somewhat happy!:D

Strange, because I use and start the cron job with your current time zone....
What do you get from:
Code:
nvram get time_zone
date +%z
I'm sure we can get this right as well.
How do you know it runs at GMT time always?

I set it to run at 19h and it didn't so I waited until 21h and then it ran -- 2 hours later. At 19h I did a "ls -l /etc/blacklist.txt" to check the timestamp of the file. No change. At 21h I did the same and the timestamp was 21h. I also noticed that dnscrypt2 got restarted as it should but the log displayed 19h instead of 21h when it really was 21h

Output of nvram is:

GMT-1GMT,M3.5.0/2:00,M10.5.0/2:00

and of date is:

+0200

It is not a big problem for me. I set it now to run at 2 o'clock at night, so accounting for the time difference, it runs at 4 o'clock

OK!
Maybe I've misunderstood the cron time function. I use Netgears cron and it's pattern used internally. That might be wrong.
I'll look further into it.

The dnscrypt-2-proxy time stamps is another story. Me and Voxel have spent much time to fix it, but it's something inside dnsproxy that is wrong.
If you Google it you will find many topic of this and stories where it works for some system, and for others not.
I had a fix for @nsx , but it was too ugly... Maybe I'll reconsider and release a variation of it though.
I set it to run at 19h and it didn't so I waited until 21h and then it ran -- 2 hours later. At 19h I did a "ls -l /etc/blacklist.txt" to check the timestamp of the file. No change. At 21h I did the same and the timestamp was 21h. I also noticed that dnscrypt2 got restarted as it should but the log displayed 19h instead of 21h when it really was 21h

Output of nvram is:

GMT-1GMT,M3.5.0/2:00,M10.5.0/2:00

and of date is:

+0200

It is not a big problem for me. I set it now to run at 2 o'clock at night, so accounting for the time difference, it runs at 4 o'clock

Yes, and it's already supported. Go to Advanced -> Kamoj Addon -> Router Info. Then go to the standard logs and it'll be there.

Or, go to Kamoj's Settings and click on WiFi Info at the bottom
I am missing something. I don't see any "standard logs" on the page for Router Info. And when I go to Kamoj's Settings and click on Wifi Info, I am presented with HTML code.

New beta available!

Changes in kamoj-addon beta version 5.2b2-3
------------------------------------------------------
- DNS Privacy/Ad-Blocking: Corrected cron time zone handling (@microchip)
- Router Information: Added for R9000: Flash memory chip type and UBI max/mean erase counters
- Settings: Disabled: Route To Other Net (E.g. Modem in NAT Off/Bridge Mode)
- Settings: WiFi Info: Changed for R9000

I am missing something. I don't see any "standard logs" on the page for Router Info. And when I go to Kamoj's Settings and click on Wifi Info, I am presented with HTML code.

"Standard Logs" are in Advanced -> Administration -> Logs

WiFi Info works for me too

"Standard Logs" are in Advanced -> Administration -> Logs

WiFi Info works for me too

Perhaps we have a miscommunication. @Blade3609 wrote "Is it possible to get signal strength per wireless connected device?" I, too, am interested in that info. You responded: t's already supported. Go to Advanced -> Kamoj Addon -> Router Info. Then go to the standard logs and it'll be there." Unfortunately, it isn't there. Maybe you have left out some steps. ???

You also responded: "Or, go to Kamoj's Settings and click on WiFi Info at the bottom." I have gone to Kamoj's "Settings" and there is a box at the bottom, captioned "Router Information"; there are 11 items listed inside that box, each with a radio button labeled "Show" and one labeled "Close." If I click on any of the ones labeled "Show", I see HTML code. See the attached image. That isn't what I am looking for. I am presumably looking for the output generated by running the HTML code.

However, one time (and only one time), I actually received the HTML results for "WiFi Info" (which is indeed what you said it would be). I have no idea how that happened, or how to repeat it. When it worked, I was already on the Kamoj settings page, and when I clicked on the "WiFi Info" radio button, I got the popup authentication box. I (re)entered my credentials, and that one time, the WiFi Info radio button worked the way I expected.

This perhaps an issue for @kamoj Bug?

I am using a R7800

Attachments

• kamoj V5.2b1-1.jpg
    kamoj V5.2b1-1.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 153
Last edited:
I think your failed to install the new add-on correctly.
Maybe you did not uninstall previous version first?
Or did not reboot between uninstall and install.
Then you can end up badly.

Whatever, I have not got any report from anyone else about this your issue,
so may I suggest you read the instructions and FAQ, and reinstall the add-on, please.

The Settings: Set some functions on / off should have 18 boxes eg, not 11.
And @microchip is correct in that you can get the wifi info 2 ways:
1. In Kamoj Menu: Settings: WiFi Info: Show
2. Check the Settings box: "Output WiFi devices info to syslog when loading addon debug page"
Then go to Kamoj Menu: Router Information
Then go to ADVANCED:Admininstration: Logs

Perhaps we have a miscommunication. @Blade3609 wrote "Is it possible to get signal strength per wireless connected device?" I, too, am interested in that info. You responded: t's already supported. Go to Advanced -> Kamoj Addon -> Router Info. Then go to the standard logs and it'll be there." Unfortunately, it isn't there. Maybe you have left out some steps. ???

You also responded: "Or, go to Kamoj's Settings and click on WiFi Info at the bottom." I have gone to Kamoj's "Settings" and there is a box at the bottom, captioned "Router Information"; there are 11 items listed inside that box, each with a radio button labeled "Show" and one labeled "Close." If I click on any of the ones labeled "Show", I see HTML code. See the attached image. That isn't what I am looking for. I am presumably looking for the output generated by running the HTML code.

However, one time (and only one time), I actually received the HTML results for "WiFi Info" (which is indeed what you said it would be). I have no idea how that happened, or how to repeat it. When it worked, I was already on the Kamoj settings page, and when I clicked on the "WiFi Info" radio button, I got the popup authentication box. I (re)entered my credentials, and that one time, the WiFi Info radio button worked the way I expected.

This perhaps an issue for @kamoj Bug?

I am using a R7800

1. In ADVANCED:Kamoj Menu: Settings: Set some functions on / off : WiFi Info: Show
2. Check the ADVANCED:Kamoj Menu: Settings: box: "Output WiFi devices info to syslog when loading addon debug page"
Then go to ADVANCED:Kamoj Menu: Router Information (reload page)

I think your failed to install the new add-on correctly.
Maybe you did not uninstall previous version first?
Or did not reboot between uninstall and install.
Then you can end up badly.

Whatever, I have not got any report from anyone else about this your issue,
so may I suggest you read the instructions and FAQ, and reinstall the add-on, please.

The Settings: Set some functions on / off should have 18 boxes eg, not 11.
And @microchip is correct in that you can get the wifi info 2 ways:
1. In Kamoj Menu: Settings: WiFi Info: Show
2. Check the Settings box: "Output WiFi devices info to syslog when loading addon debug page"
Then go to Kamoj Menu: Router Information

No, I did not make an error in following the installation instructions (I have done beta testing for over 40 years; can I make an error? Of course. Did I make one here? I don't think so).

I uninstalled the prior kamoj addon, and then issued a reboot command via Telnet. And I installed the new addon, and issued another reboot command via Telnet. But, to be sure, I just did another uninstall/reinstall (and I am now on Kamoj 5.2b2-3).

Yes, there are 18 boxes in Set some functions on / off. But there are 11 boxes in Router Information (which is where I have been attempting to select "Show" for "WiFi info"

When I "Check the Settings box: "Output WiFi devices info to syslog when loading addon debug page", the check mark appears and then quickly disappears. It does not stay checked (I tried a number of the other check boxes, and none of them stay checked; the only boxes that stay checked are Disable ReadyCLOUD (Reboot router to take effect) and Disable NG Downloader torrent client (Reboot router to take effect), which are both checked by default).

If I then go to Kamoj Menu: Router Information, followed by ADVANCED:Administration: Logs, no WiFi info appears in the logs. And if I select WiFi info: Show, I still get exactly the same image (with HTML code) that I already sent you.

Last edited:
Thank you for your report.

I don't have your experience and don't understand what is wrong.
If other users report same issue we can try to see what you have in common.

Can you think about what you are using compared to other "normal" users.
Browser type and plug-ins? Incognito mode? "Ad-Guard or other filters (it modifies html code...)? Anti-virus? Mobile device? etc
Have uou tried from mobile device? Etc.
Maybe you can find out what is wrong and tell me if/when you do, and maybe I can do something?

Have a nice day
No, I did not make an error in following the installation instructions (I have done beta testing for over 40 years; can I make an error? Of course. Did I make one here? I don't think so).

I uninstalled the prior kamoj addon, and then issued a reboot command via Telnet. And I installed the new addon, and issued another reboot command via Telnet. But, to be sure, I just did another uninstall/reinstall (and I am now on Kamoj 5.2b2-3).

Yes, there are 18 boxes in Set some functions on / off. But there are 11 boxes in Router Information (which is where I have been attempting to select "Show" for "WiFi info"

When I "Check the Settings box: "Output WiFi devices info to syslog when loading addon debug page", the check mark appears and then quickly disappears. It does not stay checked (I tried a number of the other check boxes, and none of them stay checked; the only boxes that stay checked are Disable ReadyCLOUD (Reboot router to take effect) and Disable NG Downloader torrent client (Reboot router to take effect), which are both checked by default).

If I then go to Kamoj Menu: Router Information, followed by ADVANCED:Administration: Logs, no WiFi info appears in the logs. And if I select WiFi info: Show, I still get exactly the same image (with HTML code) that I already sent you.

Thank you for your report.

I don't have your experience and don't understand what is wrong.
If other users report same issue we can try to see what you have in common.

Can you think about what you are using compared to other "normal" users.
Browser type and plug-ins? Incognito mode? "Ad-Guard or other filters (it modifies html code...)? Anti-virus? Mobile device? etc
Have uou tried from mobile device? Etc.
Maybe you can find out what is wrong and tell me if/when you do, and maybe I can do something?

Have a nice day

I haven't done anything special. Windows 10, fully patched; 1909, 18363.815. I have tried three different browsers, Chrome and Edge (based on Chromium), and an old version of Firefox. I'm not using incognito mode (though I tried it with Firefox, and it didn't make a difference). The browsers don't have the same plugins. I do have an adblocker on each browser, but I whitelisted the router URL (and the adblockers are not all the same, anyway). My antivirus is Microsoft Windows Defender.

I'm not accessing the router from a mobile device, other than via the Nighthawk app. However, as a test, I accessed the router from my Samsung phone using the latest version of Firefox. I went to Kamoj Settings | WiFi info | Show , and had the exact same experience (it displayed the HTML code, the same as the image I sent you). This indicates to me that the system I am using for accessing the router is probably not the issue (as the problem happens on all of the many different configurations I have used for testing).

And I'm not using any of the "fancy" router features that others are using (such as OpenVPN). Frankly, I don't know how my system could be any more "normal."

I wrote you that when I "Check the Settings box: "Output WiFi devices info to syslog when loading addon debug page", the check mark appears and then quickly disappears. It does not stay checked (I tried a number of the other check boxes, and none of them stay checked; the only boxes that stay checked are Disable ReadyCLOUD (Reboot router to take effect) and Disable NG Downloader torrent client (Reboot router to take effect), which are both checked by default). Is this normal behavior? Should the boxes stay "checked" when I select them? If yes, this may lead us to a solution.

I've tested for Microsoft, Symantec, Lotus Development and many other companies. It doesn't surprise me that I'm reporting something that no one else has reported; it has happened many times. :)

Last edited:
Of course the checkboxes should work - "a for everyone else" ;-)
I know this was a problem for people using the add-on 5.00 and did not uninstall that one before installing 5.1 beta.
That's why I asked. The solution for that was to re-install the Voxel firmware.
(The opkg install/uninstall in these routers is very old and buggy, indeed.
I've been fighting the installer much to even get something working on both routers.
If you miss to uninstall or reboot at any point, you get probelms).

So you have an browser to router issue.
The router cgi script simply does not get your html commands.
My knowledge of browsers and html/cgi/js/ajax/css/json etc is limited, I'm too old to learn good...
If you can not solve it we have to wait for another user with the same issue, but more knowledge.
(There is someone in this forum that is looking at my - and Netgears code -
and there is room for improvement!)

I develop in the R7800 router it self. I have no simulated router.
Often I use paper and pen to skis ideas/design and make notes.
I normally use vi even since Voxel added nano. It's just text!
Sometimes I edit in Debian (Buster), sometimes in UltraEdit and windows Notepad.
I try to run the code though ShellCheck.
I'm a simple man with a hobby generating a lot of work and frustrated users,
as well as some very happy enthusiastic users!
I have no commitment to anyone or anything and no secrets agendas.

I use Windows Explorer, Google Chrome, Google Canary and Firefox only.
All works fie n in my environment or I would not release it.
The exception is for the R9000. Since I don't own one and can not test code for it,
I need forum members help. There are many very helpful people here, else I
would keep my code to myself like the first 2 years before Voxel got me to go public...

I haven't done anything special. Windows 10, fully patched; 1909, 18363.815. I have tried three different browsers, Chrome and Edge (based on Chromium), and an old version of Firefox. I'm not using incognito mode (though I tried it with Firefox, and it didn't make a difference). The browsers don't have the same plugins. I do have an adblocker on each browser, but I whitelisted the router URL (and the adblockers are not all the same, anyway). My antivirus is Microsoft Windows Defender. I'm not accessing the router from a mobile device, other than via the Nighthawk app. And I'm not using any of the "fancy" features that others are using (such as OpenVPN). I have an ATI graphics card, FWIW, but it doesn't appear to be a rendering issue. Frankly, I don't know how my system could be any more "normal."

I wrote you that when I "Check the Settings box: "Output WiFi devices info to syslog when loading addon debug page", the check mark appears and then quickly disappears. It does not stay checked (I tried a number of the other check boxes, and none of them stay checked; the only boxes that stay checked are Disable ReadyCLOUD (Reboot router to take effect) and Disable NG Downloader torrent client (Reboot router to take effect), which are both checked by default). Is this normal behavior? Should the boxes stay "checked" when I select them? If yes, this may lead us to a solution.

I've tested for Microsoft, Symantec, Lotus Development and many other companies. It doesn't surprise me that I'm reporting something that no one else has reported; it has happened many times. :)

Why don't you tell me what your development/test platform is. Windows? Linux? Mac? etc.

The fact that I received identical results whether accessing the router via multiple browsers in Win10 or via my Samsung phone tells me that the issue almost certainly lies somewhere within the router itself.

@kamoj, why don't you tell me how to uninstall the add-on (including all of the settings), and I will start again from scratch. I assume that full removal will require working with the file system via Telnet. Not a problem. I just need guidance (not a step-by-step; just tell me what folders or files I need to delete).

I am (and was) well aware of your cautions about uninstalling the add-on before updating. I assure you that I did that. Though I'm not sure it is required, I even uninstalled the add-on before my installation of an updated Voxel ROM. Your uninstall command doesn't reference a particular build, which significantly reduces the possibility of pilot error. And I don't ever type the commands character-by-character; I use cut and paste (further reducing the possibility of pilot error).

The only other add-on (of sorts) that I have installed is the recent one by @HELLO_wORLD which saves settings. But it isn't fully activated; I have only used it to back up my settings. I therefore assume that it couldn't contribute to these issues.

Thank you for your help.

I've had had no problem to uninstall Kamojs addon with the command from his readme file. (I belive it is the same command with all his versions)

3). Uninstall previous add-on version by running these commands from router command line:
/bin/opkg remove -V1 --force-remove kamoj-addon
reboot
##### reboot MUST be performed #####

In Kamojs FAQ it is a command for also delete all settings:

Q: Do I have to re-install the Kamoj Add-on when I update the firmware?
A: Yes. But all Kamoj settings are kept, and restored when you install the add-on again.

Q: I don't like to have Kamoj settings left. How do I remove them?
A: Login to the router using telnet and issue these commands:
nvram show | awk -F= '/^kamoj/ {print $1}' | xargs -n1 nvram unset; nvram commit

When it comes to boxes that not checks like DNS-crypt for example it works for me using google chrome incognito mode.

I hope this helps!

The fact that I received identical results whether accessing the router via multiple browsers in Win10 or via my Samsung phone tells me that the issue almost certainly lies somewhere within the router itself.

@kamoj, why don't you tell me how to uninstall the add-on (including all of the settings), and I will start again from scratch. I assume that full removal will require working with the file system via Telnet. Not a problem. I just need guidance (not a step-by-step; just tell me what folders or files I need to delete).

I am (and was) well aware of your cautions about uninstalling the add-on before updating. I assure you that I did that. Though I'm not sure it is required, I even uninstalled the add-on before my installation of an updated Voxel ROM. Your uninstall command doesn't reference a particular build, which significantly reduces the possibility of pilot error. And I don't ever type the commands character-by-character; I use cut and paste (further reducing the possibility of pilot error).

The only other add-on (of sorts) that I have installed is the recent one by @HELLO_wORLD which saves settings. But it isn't fully activated; I have only used it to back up my settings. I therefore assume that it couldn't contribute to these issues.

Thank you for your help.

Last edited:
@KW. , I appreciate your response, and your direction to the command to remove all of my Kamoj settings. So I uninstalled the add-on, deleted the settings, and reinstalled (with all of the necessary reboots, of course, as prompted by the Kamoj add-on scripts).

Unfortunately, it made no difference. Check boxes still only hold their check marks for an instant, and the "show" radio button still displays only HTML code.

Le sigh!

Reactions: KW.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!