What's new

Kamoj Kamoj Add-on Beta testing II

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hi Kamoj,

This report relates to an R7800 running Voxel 84SF and Kamoj b26 (because the report relates to measurements taken during the month of April, before the release of b27; having said that, it doesn't appear that any of the changes in b27 would likely affect what I am reporting).

The issue is the inaccuracy of "Bandwidth usage." My ISP reports my usage for the month of April as 148 GB; Kamoj b26 reports 451 M total d/l, and 898 M total u/l, for a total of 1349 M. That is a huge difference.

FYI, QoS is off. I have a supplemental bandwidth monitor (NetWorx) enabled in my primary workstation (running Win10 Pro), which generally corroborates the information provided by my ISP.

Let me know if there are any tests you would like me to run.
The Bandwidth monitor uses your USB for backup. If you remove the USB (or replace it!) the counters are reset to zero. Can that explain it?
Else it's known that data used by a new device is only getting counted after 1 minute.

It takes 2 minutes to populate.
There is still nothing populated on the page after 30 hours of up time.

Note that the device in AP mode shows zeros plus the following text "The counters were started on 2021-03-14 19:14:45. This page was generated on 2021-05-02 20:00:04", whereas the device in router mode does not show any values at all and does not have that line about when the counters were started and when the page was generated.

To see the iptables counters:
Code:
iptables -L RRDIPT -vnx -t filter

Sample output from my R7800 in router mode is included below (the entire list is too long and will cause this reply to exceed 10,000 characters).

Code:
root@R7800:~$ iptables -L RRDIPT -vnx -t filter

Chain RRDIPT (1 references)

pkts      bytes target     prot opt in     out     source               destination

0        0 RETURN     all  --  *      *       10.0.0.68            0.0.0.0/0

0        0 RETURN     all  --  *      *       0.0.0.0/0            10.0.0.68

94     7164 RETURN     all  --  *      *       10.0.0.254           0.0.0.0/0

94     9558 RETURN     all  --  *      *       0.0.0.0/0            10.0.0.254

0        0 RETURN     all  --  *      *       10.0.0.60            0.0.0.0/0

1      504 RETURN     all  --  *      *       0.0.0.0/0            10.0.0.60

Output from my R7800 in AP mode contains all zeros for pkts and for bytes.

To see the cron jobs dealing the whole thing: ADVANCED: Kamoj Menu: System Information: cron jobs.

Should show:

Code:
/tmp/addons/cron/addon_bwusage_setup/crontabs:
*/1           * * * * /usr/bin/addon_bwusage.sh setup

/tmp/addons/cron/addon_bwusage_update_offpeak1/crontabs:
*/30,59   0-6 * * * /usr/bin/addon_bwusage.sh update /tmp/addons/addon_bwusage/addon_bwusage.db offpeak

/tmp/addons/cron/addon_bwusage_update_peak1/crontabs:
*/2      7-17 * * * /usr/bin/addon_bwusage.sh update /tmp/addons/addon_bwusage/addon_bwusage.db peak

/tmp/addons/cron/addon_bwusage_update_peak2/crontabs:
*/2     18-22 * * * /usr/bin/addon_bwusage.sh update /tmp/addons/addon_bwusage/addon_bwusage.db peak

/tmp/addons/cron/addon_bwusage_update_offpeak2/crontabs:
*/30,59    23 * * * /usr/bin/addon_bwusage.sh update /tmp/addons/addon_bwusage/addon_bwusage.db offpeak
[/QUOTE]
These cron jobs above are confirmed to be listed in ADVANCED: Kamoj Menu: System Information: cron jobs.

[QUOTE="kamoj, post: 686035, member: 53309"]
If you doubt the numbers, make sure QoS is off.

QoS is turned off. Please confirm if the settings below look correct and let me know if any additional information would be helpful. Thanks.

Disabled_Settings.JPG

There is still nothing populated on the page after 30 hours of up time.

Note that the device in AP mode shows zeros plus the following text "The counters were started on 2021-03-14 19:14:45. This page was generated on 2021-05-02 20:00:04", whereas the device in router mode does not show any values at all and does not have that line about when the counters were started and when the page was generated.

Sample output from my R7800 in router mode is included below (the entire list is too long and will cause this reply to exceed 10,000 characters).

Code:
root@R7800:~$ iptables -L RRDIPT -vnx -t filter

Chain RRDIPT (1 references)

pkts      bytes target     prot opt in     out     source               destination

0        0 RETURN     all  --  *      *       10.0.0.68            0.0.0.0/0

0        0 RETURN     all  --  *      *       0.0.0.0/0            10.0.0.68

94     7164 RETURN     all  --  *      *       10.0.0.254           0.0.0.0/0

94     9558 RETURN     all  --  *      *       0.0.0.0/0            10.0.0.254

0        0 RETURN     all  --  *      *       10.0.0.60            0.0.0.0/0

1      504 RETURN     all  --  *      *       0.0.0.0/0            10.0.0.60

Output from my R7800 in AP mode contains all zeros for pkts and for bytes.

QoS is turned off. Please confirm if the settings below look correct and let me know if any additional information would be helpful. Thanks.

View attachment 33573
Thank you for the report!

It's not expected to work in AP mode since the router is not used as a router!
All firewall things are done in the router, not the access point.
"A router is a router only if it's used as a router".
So this is as it should be.

Ok, thank you for finding this bug! Please logon to router prompt and patch the bug by running:
Code:
sed -i 's/"$ABUSE_LIST""$ABUSE_LIST"/"$ABUSE_LIST"/g' /www/cgi-bin/kamoj.sh
And the reboot router.
Or you can add the same command at Settings 2 : Create start script entries manually (Executed at boot time) and reboot the router.
Thanks it helped indeed.

Thank you for the report!

It's not expected to work in AP mode since the router is not used as a router!
All firewall things are done in the router, not the access point.
"A router is a router only if it's used as a router".
So this is as it should be.
Thanks for confirming. I will leave bandwidth monitoring disabled on the device in AP mode.

While bandwidth monitoring has been enabled on the device in router mode, I have been keeping an eye on the output of "iptables -nL RRDIPT" that is used by the addon_bwusage.sh script.

In 5.4b26, I saw that the output had grown over time to more than 50,000 lines after 12 days of up time. With 5.4b27, after about 2 days of up time, the number of lines of output has remained stable around 100 lines (which corresponds to the approximately 50 connected devices).

Thanks for confirming. I will leave bandwidth monitoring disabled on the device in AP mode.

While bandwidth monitoring has been enabled on the device in router mode, I have been keeping an eye on the output of "iptables -nL RRDIPT" that is used by the addon_bwusage.sh script.

In 5.4b26, I saw that the output had grown over time to more than 50,000 lines after 12 days of up time. With 5.4b27, after about 2 days of up time, the number of lines of output has remained stable around 100 lines (which corresponds to the approximately 50 connected devices).
Thank you very much for this information!
I'll try to pinpoint the bug(s) a.s.a.p!

Changes in kamoj-addon beta version 5.4b27
--------------------------------------------------
COMMENT:
This release will be the last beta version with new functionality,
unless significant issues are noted and reported.
When I consider this or a later beta to be stable, the addon will
be released to the public.
So please test it hard, and report your thoughts/issues/questions!

Noted that there are many differences between how the same WiFi HW is handled, e.g.
R9000 has optimization for 2.4 GHz and R7800 for 5 GHz.
NEW:
- Router Information: Added: Router Configuration Information, including corruption check.
- System Information: Added: Aegis abuse list
- Settings: Added: Download and use MAC address list to identify devices
- Restart Supervision: Added nvram parameter: kamoj_supervision_delay
Used to delay supervision from taking place this time after boot.
To enable this option, you need to run e.g. these commands from router command prompt:
nvram set kamoj_supervision_delay=180; nvram commit
#If not set, 150 seconds is used.
- Restart Supervision: Supervise WiFi activity: Added nvram parameter: kamoj_wifi_activation_supervision_delay
Used to delay supervision from taking place this time after boot. (@n1llam1)
Purpose is to give WiFi clients time to connect before WiFi is restarted.
To enable this option, you need to run e.g. these commands from router command prompt:
nvram set kamoj_wifi_activation_supervision_delay=900; nvram commit
#If not set, 720 seconds is used (to let DFS 10 minutes scanning finish).
FIXED:
- Router Information: List of WiFi RSSI list gets truncated when many connected clients (@n1llam1)
- System Information: Addon processes: Fixed: "Not found" for disable_gui_timeout
- Adguard Home short-cut: Don't use https even if router is accessed via https. (@stern67)
- OpenVPN Client: Supposedly speeded up somewhat. Same type as in qcawifi.sh. (R7800)
- WiFi: Corrected bugs in qcawifi.sh
(Used sysctl settings that was later erased by DNI/Netgear code)
The bug consequence would be that WiFi degrades after start, when Netgear/DNI loads other settings).
This should be able to merge if someone have the power, urge and time to do so...
- NSS: Corrected bug in qca-nss-drv. Same type as in qcawifi.sh. (R7800)
- NSS: Corrected bugs in qca-nss-ecm. Same type as in qcawifi.sh. (R7800)
- nss_status: Corrected. Thank you for code example! (@n1llam1)
Added support for sleep time defined as float as well as integer.
CHANGED:
- Router Information: Adguard Home: Don't count comments and duplicates in server count. (@blueliner)
- AdGuard Home: Added nvram variable kamoj_download_timeout. (@blueliner)
To use it run this from command line:
nvram set kamoj_download_timeout=99; nvram commit
- General: Hard coded timeout times changed to
kamoj_ping_timeout, kamoj_long_ping_timeout and kamoj_download_timeout
- timeout command : Changed to accept time as float.
- WAN LED flash orange (R7800) or is OFF (R9000) after boot (@n1llam1) (@stern67)
- Don't Set WAN amber LED when switching off VPN.
- Minor changes
- FAQ.txt updated

Hello,

I have not had a chance to catch up on all the recent posts. I installed 5.4b28 (missed 27) and it runs great for me so far. With the added download timeout variable, AdGuardHome was able to download on the first attempt! However, the fix for counting AdGuard servers does not work for me:

Router Information: Adguard Home: Don't count comments and duplicates in server count. (@blueliner)

My server list has comments on separate lines followed by the server sdns stamp on the next line, like this:
# AdGuard server
sdns://blahblahblah
# Scaleway server
sdns://yadayadayada

In the above example the Router Information Page will show 4 AdGuard servers instead of two. For my config, I can get a correct count from the file manually using something like: awk '!/^#/{n++}; END {print n+0}' . But obviously I don't know enough to be successful trying changes within addon_info_update.sh .... Anyway the overall router performance remains great, and the net-wall logging appears OK too.

Best wishes,
BL

Hello,

I have not had a chance to catch up on all the recent posts. I installed 5.4b28 (missed 27) and it runs great for me so far. With the added download timeout variable, AdGuardHome was able to download on the first attempt! However, the fix for counting AdGuard servers does not work for me:

Router Information: Adguard Home: Don't count comments and duplicates in server count. (@blueliner)

My server list has comments on separate lines followed by the server sdns stamp on the next line, like this:
# AdGuard server
# Scaleway server
sdns://yadayadayada

In the above example the Router Information Page will show 4 AdGuard servers instead of two. For my config, I can get a correct count from the file manually using something like: awk '!/^#/{n++}; END {print n+0}' . But obviously I don't know enough to be successful trying changes within addon_info_update.sh .... Anyway the overall router performance remains great, and the net-wall logging appears OK too.

Best wishes,
BL
Don't understand why it works for me...
Can you give me the output of this command, please:
Code:
sed -ne '/upstream_dns/,/upstream_dns_file/p' /opt/kamoj/addons/defaults/AdGuardHome.yaml

Hello All, I been using Voxel for over a year with Kamoj addon, left to dd-wrt, then tried OpenWRT now back to Voxel and Kamoj :) I am using 5.4b28 on Netgear R7800. Did a clean install of R7800 default firmware then straight to 1.0.2.84SF , and straight to Kamoj 5.4b28.

Everything seems to be working fine, not as fast as I remember with the regular Kamoj that would take up one window, but this dual pane does look really nice and easy to navigate. What I like about the add on is I can easily paste entire config files both wireguard and OpenVPN and works perfectly!

dd-wrt for some reason was super fast with wireguard I would max out my connection at 100mbps, with the add-on I am getting around 40-50mbps, I have a feeling I need to tweak some settings with Voxel's firmware to maximize speed. dd-wrt does max out both CPU cores and they run like that 24/7, but I assume Voxels does the same. I may just throw in the towel soon for a R9000 if I cant increase speeds with the R7800. Reason why I moved from dd-wrt is the interface became unstable, very slow to load, and would time out.

Also is there a way to make only the wireguard connection use a certain DNS? or do I have to configure the DNS on the routers main page? Some VPNs use their internal DNS like windscribe uses 10.255.255.1 , and if I put that on my router, and for example the VPN goes down and reverts back to my local ISP connection, I wont connect, I guess I gotta add the second DNS to be a public one like 1.1.1.1 ? im aussming.

Overall, switching back from wireguard tunnels to OpenVPN tunnels , quickly, and also stopping one and starting the other, seems to be working smoothly.

Don't understand why it works for me...
Can you give me the output of this command, please:
Code:
sed -ne '/upstream_dns/,/upstream_dns_file/p' /opt/kamoj/addons/defaults/AdGuardHome.yaml
Hello,

Excellent thought - I wondered about looking at the outputted server list but didn't trust my feeble skills any further. I have attached a file showing the output of the command. The file shows each commented line looks like this (with server dns stamp below):
'# My Comment'

I am guessing that is what you expected to see? I don't know how how to properly correct this but changing

'/^[[:space:]]*#/d'
to
'/[[:space:]]*#/d'

in the line below (from addon_info_update.sh) does give me the correct server count on the Router Information Page.

Code:
dns_servers="DNS Servers: $(sed -ne '/upstream_dns/,/upstream_dns_file/p' /opt/kamoj/addons/defaults/AdGuardHome.yaml|sed -e '/^[[:space:]]*$/d' -e '/^[[:space:]]*#/d'|awk '!seen[$0]++'|wc -l|awk '{print ($1-2)}')"

I hope this helps - and thank you for looking into this for me.

Sincerely,
BL

Attachments

• Pulled_DNS_server_list.txt
    1.4 KB · Views: 155
Last edited:
Hello,

Excellent thought - I wondered about looking at the outputted server list but didn't trust my feeble skills any further. I have attached a file showing the output of the command. The file shows each commented line looks like this (with server dns stamp below):
'# My Comment'

I am guessing that is what you expected to see? I don't know how how to properly correct this but changing

'/^[[:space:]]*#/d'
to
'/[[:space:]]*#/d'

in the line below (from addon_info_update.sh) does give me the correct server count on the Router Information Page.

Code:
dns_servers="DNS Servers: $(sed -ne '/upstream_dns/,/upstream_dns_file/p' /opt/kamoj/addons/defaults/AdGuardHome.yaml|sed -e '/^[[:space:]]*$/d' -e '/^[[:space:]]*#/d'|awk '!seen[$0]++'|wc -l|awk '{print ($1-2)}')"

I hope this helps - and thank you for looking into this for me.

Sincerely,
BL
Thank you!

I suggest you make your "comments" according to specification and remove the ' (single quotes).
YAML is very sensitive to the syntax, so you better keep it strict! (It's a miracle it's working for you at all! ;-)

I.e.: '# My Comment' should be: # My Comment

https://www.tutorialspoint.com/yaml/yaml_comments.htm

Hello All, I been using Voxel for over a year with Kamoj addon, left to dd-wrt, then tried OpenWRT now back to Voxel and Kamoj :) I am using 5.4b28 on Netgear R7800. Did a clean install of R7800 default firmware then straight to 1.0.2.84SF , and straight to Kamoj 5.4b28.

Everything seems to be working fine, not as fast as I remember with the regular Kamoj that would take up one window, but this dual pane does look really nice and easy to navigate. What I like about the add on is I can easily paste entire config files both wireguard and OpenVPN and works perfectly!

dd-wrt for some reason was super fast with wireguard I would max out my connection at 100mbps, with the add-on I am getting around 40-50mbps, I have a feeling I need to tweak some settings with Voxel's firmware to maximize speed. dd-wrt does max out both CPU cores and they run like that 24/7, but I assume Voxels does the same. I may just throw in the towel soon for a R9000 if I cant increase speeds with the R7800. Reason why I moved from dd-wrt is the interface became unstable, very slow to load, and would time out.

Also is there a way to make only the wireguard connection use a certain DNS? or do I have to configure the DNS on the routers main page? Some VPNs use their internal DNS like windscribe uses 10.255.255.1 , and if I put that on my router, and for example the VPN goes down and reverts back to my local ISP connection, I wont connect, I guess I gotta add the second DNS to be a public one like 1.1.1.1 ? im aussming.

Overall, switching back from wireguard tunnels to OpenVPN tunnels , quickly, and also stopping one and starting the other, seems to be working smoothly.
Nice to hear from you, thank you!

I really recommend you to use DNS encryption!
You could start by using DNSCrypt. You can edit the list of servers to use according to your liking.
The add-on give you support for Adguard/DNSCrypt and Stubby.

I never tried tweaking the Wireguard client - yet, so it's an interesting "project".
Can you run the "System Information : Ookla Speed Test" from within the add-on?
What speed do you get then?
I get 60-70 Mbps without tweaking, e.g.
(That way you can discard bottlenecks in your own network/computer after the router)
The add-on gives you direct control over some settings in:
Settings : Network Options
Please keep us posted about your findings!

@Voxel and I have done a lot of tweaking and tests for OpenVPN through the years.
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/openvpn-easy-speed-optimization-up-to-115.68999/
The Voxel/Add-on can max out your line using the OpenVPN Client, so why not stay with that?

PS
I strongly recommend you to have a look at Aegis by @HELLO_wORLD !
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/aegis-1-7-x.70761/

Thank you!

I suggest you make your "comments" according to specification and remove the ' (single quotes).
YAML is very sensitive to the syntax, so you better keep it strict! (It's a miracle it's working for you at all! ;-)

I.e.: '# My Comment' should be: # My Comment

https://www.tutorialspoint.com/yaml/yaml_comments.htm
Hello,

Thanks for the link to the yaml tutorial! I reviewed it but could not see anything I did that may cause the problem. I edit the server list (and comments) from the AGH Settings/DNS Settings web page accessed via the link in the Kamoj Add-on (I never edit the config file directly like I would with DNSCrypt). I never use single quotes in the comments and simply start each comment line with a "#" symbol, like this:
# Example Comment
I then hit "enter" on my keyboard to start the next line

Yet when I opened the file /opt/kamoj/addons/defaults/AdGuardHome.yaml, there were single quotes in front of each DNS server list comment. Since I did not add them, I thought AGH must do so. To check further, I manually deleted the single quotes within /opt/kamoj/addons/defaults/AdGuardHome.yaml and saved the file. I opened it again to confirm no single quotes.

I then went back to the AGH DNS Settings web page and entered more comments and server stamps. I clicked "Test Upstreams" - all was OK. I then saved the updated list via the "Apply" button.
I rechecked /opt/kamoj/addons/defaults/AdGuardHome.yaml.. and the single quotes were back for both the old comments and the new ones! At this point I assume AGH formats the list when you hit "Apply". I have tried using spaces before and after the comments and no spaces before and after the comments, etc, but I get the same results.

Am I doing something wrong with how I set up the list? I have attached pictures of the applicable sections of the AGH Settings/DNS Settings web page and of the server list (with the AGH added single quotes and my file with the quotes removed) from the AdGuardHome.yaml file. If I have not done my set up incorrectly, can the Add-on be configured to ignore the single quotes (or look for them instead of # at the beginning of a line) when looking for AGH server comments? Since removing the caret ^ symbol in the code of "addon_info_update.sh", each server change has been counted correctly.

Thank you,
BL

Attachments

• DNS_servers_updated_via_AGH_web.png
    DNS_servers_updated_via_AGH_web.png
    203.9 KB · Views: 148
  • Manually_editied_AGH_less_single_quotes.png
    Manually_editied_AGH_less_single_quotes.png
    198.8 KB · Views: 152
  • AGH_dns_examples.png
    AGH_dns_examples.png
    53.4 KB · Views: 132
  • AGH_DNS_entry_box.png
    AGH_DNS_entry_box.png
    253.8 KB · Views: 128
The Bandwidth monitor uses your USB for backup. If you remove the USB (or replace it!) the counters are reset to zero. Can that explain it?
Else it's known that data used by a new device is only getting counted after 1 minute.
No, the USB wasn't removed, and the count wasn't reset to 0. And the 1-minute lag is most definitely not the issue.

I now find that the Bandwidth Monitor hasn't updated at all since 2 May at 20:12 (shortly after I installed b28). I searched for chron jobs that force an update, but couldn't find any. Is there a way to manually trigger an update of the Bandwidth Monitor data?

Update: After I manually invoked "addon_bwusage.sh start", it appears that the bandwidth usage is being monitored again (though not necessarily accurately; not sure yet). "System Information | Addon processes" shows it as running. But a manual start shouldn't have been required.

Last edited:
Hello,

Thanks for the link to the yaml tutorial! I reviewed it but could not see anything I did that may cause the problem. I edit the server list (and comments) from the AGH Settings/DNS Settings web page accessed via the link in the Kamoj Add-on (I never edit the config file directly like I would with DNSCrypt). I never use single quotes in the comments and simply start each comment line with a "#" symbol, like this:
# Example Comment
I then hit "enter" on my keyboard to start the next line

Yet when I opened the file /opt/kamoj/addons/defaults/AdGuardHome.yaml, there were single quotes in front of each DNS server list comment. Since I did not add them, I thought AGH must do so. To check further, I manually deleted the single quotes within /opt/kamoj/addons/defaults/AdGuardHome.yaml and saved the file. I opened it again to confirm no single quotes.

I then went back to the AGH DNS Settings web page and entered more comments and server stamps. I clicked "Test Upstreams" - all was OK. I then saved the updated list via the "Apply" button.
I rechecked /opt/kamoj/addons/defaults/AdGuardHome.yaml.. and the single quotes were back for both the old comments and the new ones! At this point I assume AGH formats the list when you hit "Apply". I have tried using spaces before and after the comments and no spaces before and after the comments, etc, but I get the same results.

Am I doing something wrong with how I set up the list? I have attached pictures of the applicable sections of the AGH Settings/DNS Settings web page and of the server list (with the AGH added single quotes and my file with the quotes removed) from the AdGuardHome.yaml file. If I have not done my set up incorrectly, can the Add-on be configured to ignore the single quotes (or look for them instead of # at the beginning of a line) when looking for AGH server comments? Since removing the caret ^ symbol in the code of "addon_info_update.sh", each server change has been counted correctly.

Thank you,
BL
Thank you again for all help!
No, you're not doing anything wrong.
But I don't understand what the Adguard team is up to...
I'll do some fix for this of course, even though not as you suggest as that will have other implications for other users/usage.

Last edited:
Hello. OpenVPN and Wireguard work perfectly. Current version. I use VPN Unlimited - just copy the configuration + login with password and voila :) I received a new router - the nand memory died in the previous one. I was supposed to buy an ax86u but out of common sense and in admiration for the work of Voxel and Kamoj, I decided to stay with the r7800. Thanks.

Hello. OpenVPN and Wireguard work perfectly. Current version. I use VPN Unlimited - just copy the configuration + login with password and voila :) I received a new router - the nand memory died in the previous one. I was supposed to buy an ax86u but out of common sense and in admiration for the work of Voxel and Kamoj, I decided to stay with the r7800. Thanks.
Very warming words, thank you! :)

I wont change router either until it breaks or there are really good 6E-routers to use.
The ax86u is in my opinion just a short-life model between old and new technology.
(I would not buy a WiFi6 router that can not use the 6Ghz-band.)

Very warming words, thank you! :)

I wont change router either until it breaks or there are really good 6E-routers to use.
The ax86u is in my opinion just a short-life model between old and new technology.
(I would not buy a WiFi6 router that can not use the 6Ghz-band.)
I was a bit scared of a known memory problem. Switching to Asus is not very profitable so far due to the support of the future WiFi 6e. RT-AX86u is not cheap and is not available in stores, as well as graphics cards. Interesting times - COVID, cryptocurrencies, what else!?!

Nice to hear from you, thank you!

I really recommend you to use DNS encryption!
You could start by using DNSCrypt. You can edit the list of servers to use according to your liking.
The add-on give you support for Adguard/DNSCrypt and Stubby.

I never tried tweaking the Wireguard client - yet, so it's an interesting "project".
Can you run the "System Information : Ookla Speed Test" from within the add-on?
What speed do you get then?
I get 60-70 Mbps without tweaking, e.g.
(That way you can discard bottlenecks in your own network/computer after the router)
The add-on gives you direct control over some settings in:
Settings : Network Options
Please keep us posted about your findings!

@Voxel and I have done a lot of tweaking and tests for OpenVPN through the years.
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/openvpn-easy-speed-optimization-up-to-115.68999/
The Voxel/Add-on can max out your line using the OpenVPN Client, so why not stay with that?

PS
I strongly recommend you to have a look at Aegis by @HELLO_wORLD !
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/aegis-1-7-x.70761/
Hello! Thanks for getting back to me! I may try the DNScrypt not sure yet, but will think about it for sure.

Out of curiosity and frustration of trying to get my speed back through VPN, right away I flashed back to dd-wrt (by the way forums are back up, but GUI is super slow, many many others have been having problems since the big sur 11.3 and iOS 14.5 update). So slowly I put back my 2 VPN providers, I noticed on Voxel and your add on, I was getting 50mbps via wireguard, and with dd-wrt maxing out at 100mbps, I dont know how they do it, maybe faux newer linux kernal? like they are faking it some how.

So tonight in a couple of hours, I will flash back to Voxel and your addon, very curious to do the speed test and you are right, if I can hit 100mbps with OpenVPN why not just stick with that, until my ISP can provide a higher speed like 250mbps package then ill think about wireguard, good advice. Plus when I use Voxel and your add on I do feel at home :) Router just feels much smoother.

Just a thought, would the R9000 since it has a newer linux kernel I'm assuming, will provide faster wireguard speeds?? R9000 is actually overkill for my needs, live in a small condo and the R7800 is perfectly fine :)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!