What's new

Kamoj Kamoj Addon 5.5 Beta for Netgear R7800/R8900/R9000 with Voxel FW

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Changes in kamoj-addon beta version 2022-02-10 5.5b18
---------------------------------------------------------------
- DNS Privacy/Ad-Blocking: Updated AdGuard Home with new download location. (@Heriberto Silva Alves, @n1llam1)
- System Information: WiFi. Changed "Scan failed" to "No scan results found" for clarity. (@hipek_pl)
- OpenVPN Client: Updated PureVPN to new download location and fixed bug connecting wrong server. (@VicB)

Last edited:
Changes in kamoj-addon beta version 2022-02-10 5.5b18
- DNS Privacy/Ad-Blocking: Updated AdGuard Home with new download location. (@Heriberto Silva Alves, @n1llam1)
- System Information: WiFi. Changed "Scan failed" to "No scan results found" for clarity. (@hipek_pl)
- OpenVPN Client: Updated PureVPN to new download location and fixed bug connecting wrong server. (@VicB)
Thank you @kamoj. The AdGuard Home release-version installation works as expected with the updated download location.

Code:
2022-02-10 15:24:33 202.46 [ADGUARD] addon_adguard.sh 23455: Information: Time is OK
2022-02-10 15:24:33 202.78 [ADGUARD] addon_adguard.sh 23455: INFORMATION: Latest Release tar-file not found. Trying default download: https://static.adguard.com/adguardhome/release/AdGuardHome_linux_armv7.tar.gz
2022-02-10 15:24:33 202.79 [ADGUARD] addon_adguard.sh 23455: INSTALL: Download Release archive:/tmp/AdGuardHome_linux_armv7.tar.gz https://static.adguard.com/adguardhome/release/AdGuardHome_linux_armv7.tar.gz
2022-02-10 15:24:36 205.14 [ADGUARD] addon_adguard.sh 23455: INSTALL: Release archive unpacked 1.
2022-02-10 15:24:36 205.20 [ADGUARD] addon_adguard.sh 23455: INSTALL: Copy configuration file from USB to persistent storage
2022-02-10 15:24:36 205.21 [ADGUARD] addon_adguard.sh 23455: INSTALL: Finished

I am on the latest beta Kamoj Add-on V5.5b18
I have had this problem for awhile already, but it only does this with one VPN that I have, StarVPN. I think its because they have a double NAT, or strict NAT. How does Kamoj add on detect the VPN tunnel status? For this certain VPN it always says not connected, even in the "Router Information" Section, but I am in fact connected and do have the IP as shown.

Also with the latest voxel "Router Firmware Version (Voxel) V1.0.4.57.1HF" I seem to crash often, at least once a day now, the R9000 would just restart itself, I even turned off AdGuard, sometimes I would lose wifi, but the rest of the hard wired Cat5 connections are still good. Sometimes the whole router would crash, and not just the wifi, whats weird is it always happens at 12pm or 6pm.... every time I do a screenshot to show that it crashed the router or wifi, its always either at 12pm or 6pm, happens alot after this latest Voxel update, really weird, anyone else experiencing this? I even have QoS turned off.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-02-11 at 3.12.28 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-02-11 at 3.12.28 PM.png
    102.9 KB · Views: 97
  • Screen Shot 2022-02-11 at 3.17.31 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-02-11 at 3.17.31 PM.png
    50.3 KB · Views: 96
  • Screen Shot 2022-02-11 at 3.28.20 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-02-11 at 3.28.20 PM.png
    132.4 KB · Views: 92
  • Wifi Crash Screenshot.jpeg
    Wifi Crash Screenshot.jpeg
    82.7 KB · Views: 85
AdGuard changes their URL now and then of no apparent reason.
It's happened a couple of times before.
If that is happening often, perhaps a better idea would be to use some kind of URL shortener (e.g. short.io) and just alter the destination link once it changes?

I am on the latest beta Kamoj Add-on V5.5b18
I have had this problem for awhile already, but it only does this with one VPN that I have, StarVPN. I think its because they have a double NAT, or strict NAT. How does Kamoj add on detect the VPN tunnel status? For this certain VPN it always says not connected, even in the "Router Information" Section, but I am in fact connected and do have the IP as shown.

Also with the latest voxel "Router Firmware Version (Voxel) V1.0.4.57.1HF" I seem to crash often, at least once a day now, the R9000 would just restart itself, I even turned off AdGuard, sometimes I would lose wifi, but the rest of the hard wired Cat5 connections are still good. Sometimes the whole router would crash, and not just the wifi, whats weird is it always happens at 12pm or 6pm.... every time I do a screenshot to show that it crashed the router or wifi, its always either at 12pm or 6pm, happens alot after this latest Voxel update, really weird, anyone else experiencing this? I even have QoS turned off.
For the VPN tunnel status: the traceroute command is used.
Try to change the PING / TRACEROUTE SETTINGS.

For the crashes I suggest you try without the add-on, or at least without supervision.
This is because I experienced 100% cpu load etc when testing traceroute to/for ExpressVPN (R7800).
You can find some comments about it in this thread.
Does it happen exactly on the second 6/12 pm?

I gave this a try and found that the UI stops working the way it did previously.

I've reverted back to the previous setting of tmpdir and AGH is back to normal.

strange, I also tested it.

- stopped AGH via add-on GUI (setting DNS filter/encryption to none; had to do this a few times before it would stick)

- mkdir /mnt/optware/adguard_home/

- cp -r /tmp/addons/adguard_home/* /mnt/optware/adguard_home/
(copy existing stats)

- nano /usr/bin/addon_adguard.sh and changes the mentioned line to tmpdir="/mnt/optware/adguard_home"; [ ! -d "$tmpdir" ] && \mkdir -p "$tmpdir"

- started AGH again via add-on GUI

For me AGH now still works fine and I do see that the data is stored on the USB.
also re-enabled the query-log as I now no longer have the risk of running out of tmp space

just noticed my USB disk was out of diskspace
The main cause:
Code:
root@R7800:/$ ls -al /mnt/optware/system_logs/
drwxr-xr-x    2 root     root         4096 Sep 15  2020 .
drwxrwxrwx   31 root     root         4096 Jan 20 21:22 ..
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root    1474541787 Feb 11 12:13 dmesg.txt
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root      7371948 Jan 30 05:30 log-message.txt
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root      2503023 Jan 30 13:29 messages.txt

i.e. 1.4 GB of space used by dmesg.txt

Could we implement some log-rotation and cleanup ??

For the VPN tunnel status: the traceroute command is used.
Try to change the PING / TRACEROUTE SETTINGS.

For the crashes I suggest you try without the add-on, or at least without supervision.
This is because I experienced 100% cpu load etc when testing traceroute to/for ExpressVPN (R7800).
You can find some comments about it in this thread.
Does it happen exactly on the second 6/12 pm?
Thank you kamoj! Under 'PING / TRACEROUTE SETTINGS' I did see some notes "(Default:2. Use 2 or 3 for ExpressVPN OpenVPN)" Mine is set to #1
The 'Supervision' and 'Restart Supervision' all boxes is all unchecked, I think that is default.
It did not happen today at 6pm, I think its because I was messing with different VPNs, after I installed the latest beta b18. So did a reboot manually already. It did happen earlier today at 12pm though on the dot. I know its not my electrical circuit, since the VDSL fiber modem is on the same exact surge protector cable, so same outlet, but only the R9000 router crashes, and not the VDSL fiber modem. I will observe again and see if it happens at 12pm tomorrow.

The main cause:
Code:

My R7800 router does not have a dmesg.txt file, nor a /mnt/optware/system_logs/ directory. Does your router have a configuration setting for that directory and file to exist?

Code:
root@R7800:/tmp/mnt/sda1$ pwd
/mnt/optware
root@R7800:/tmp/mnt/sda1$ ls -ld /mnt/optware/system_logs
ls: /mnt/optware/system_logs: No such file or directory
root@R7800:/tmp/mnt/sda1$ find . -name "dmesg*"
root@R7800:/tmp/mnt/sda1$ cd /
root@R7800:/$ find . -name "dmesg*"
./bin/dmesg
./proc/sys/kernel/dmesg_restrict
./rom/bin/dmesg
root@R7800:/$

Router rebooted exactly 6am today, woke up around 9:30am and checked router, did the math and 6am it rebooted itself, it seems to do this at 6am or 12pm or 6pm ??! Is my flash ram usage too high? Attached are screenshots.

Attachments

• 5D5A3ED4-7065-4DCB-AD7F-185A1996A74B.jpeg
    5D5A3ED4-7065-4DCB-AD7F-185A1996A74B.jpeg
    90.7 KB · Views: 95
  • 150F5DD8-124C-4C42-8EA7-24F5A2D7FE2F.jpeg
    150F5DD8-124C-4C42-8EA7-24F5A2D7FE2F.jpeg
    93.4 KB · Views: 104
  • E6B14E69-D3CC-4659-A161-2535DC02F836.png
    E6B14E69-D3CC-4659-A161-2535DC02F836.png
    166.9 KB · Views: 95
Thank you kamoj! Under 'PING / TRACEROUTE SETTINGS' I did see some notes "(Default:2. Use 2 or 3 for ExpressVPN OpenVPN)" Mine is set to #1
The 'Supervision' and 'Restart Supervision' all boxes is all unchecked, I think that is default.
It did not happen today at 6pm, I think its because I was messing with different VPNs, after I installed the latest beta b18. So did a reboot manually already. It did happen earlier today at 12pm though on the dot. I know its not my electrical circuit, since the VDSL fiber modem is on the same exact surge protector cable, so same outlet, but only the R9000 router crashes, and not the VDSL fiber modem. I will observe again and see if it happens at 12pm tomorrow.
I hope you changed from 1. 1 is a very bad value here... And you must check the update cyclic box in Wireguard client to get correct status there.

Check this box and see if the saved logs can tell what happens!:
Settings : Save the system logs to USB. (or /opt/kamoj/logs if no USB detected)
Have you checked the box Supervision : Reboot router if Internet is down. May reboot every 150th sec. Use with caution ?

My R7800 router does not have a dmesg.txt file, nor a /mnt/optware/system_logs/ directory. Does your router have a configuration setting for that directory and file to exist?

Code:
root@R7800:/tmp/mnt/sda1$ pwd
/mnt/optware
root@R7800:/tmp/mnt/sda1$ ls -ld /mnt/optware/system_logs
ls: /mnt/optware/system_logs: No such file or directory
root@R7800:/tmp/mnt/sda1$ find . -name "dmesg*"
root@R7800:/tmp/mnt/sda1$ cd /
root@R7800:/$ find . -name "dmesg*"
./bin/dmesg
./proc/sys/kernel/dmesg_restrict
./rom/bin/dmesg
root@R7800:/$
Kamoj addon: Settings : Save the system logs to USB. (or /opt/kamoj/logs if no USB detected)

I hope you changed from 1. 1 is a very bad value here... And you must check the update cyclic box in Wireguard client to get correct status there.

Check this box and see if the saved logs can tell what happens!:
Settings : Save the system logs to USB. (or /opt/kamoj/logs if no USB detected)
Have you checked the box Supervision : Reboot router if Internet is down. May reboot every 150th sec. Use with caution ?
Okay I changed it to #2 "Max time-to-live (max number of hops) for traceroute (Default:2. Use 2 or 3 for ExpressVPN OpenVPN)"
I just check marked "Save the system logs to USB. (or /opt/kamoj/logs if no USB detected)"
Reboot router if Internet is down. May reboot every 150th sec. Use with caution ? -
Is NOT checked marked.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-02-12 at 10.45.59 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-02-12 at 10.45.59 AM.png
    92.1 KB · Views: 78
Okay I changed it to #2 "Max time-to-live (max number of hops) for traceroute (Default:2. Use 2 or 3 for ExpressVPN OpenVPN)"
I just check marked "Save the system logs to USB. (or /opt/kamoj/logs if no USB detected)"
Reboot router if Internet is down. May reboot every 150th sec. Use with caution ? -
Is NOT checked marked.
Can you verify that the Wireguard connection status is correct after you changed traceroute to 2? If not try 3 etc!
(There are some extra internal logs that can be switched on as last resort - so don't give up!)
Ok, lets hope the end of the log files give a clue to what's wrong with your router!
Does it happen if you use OpenVPN e.g.?

Can you verify that the Wireguard connection status is correct after you changed traceroute to 2? If not try 3 etc!
(There are some extra internal logs that can be switched on as last resort - so don't give up!)
Ok, lets hope the end of the log files give a clue to what's wrong with your router!
Does it happen if you use OpenVPN e.g.?
Sorry did not verify, I am currently using OpenVPN with Vpn unlimited personal vpn server, for some reason OpenVPN protocol is faster than WireGuard protocol? With vpn unlimited, like their servers is optimized for it. Like I can max my ISP speed of 100Mbps at any speed test website, testMy.net , speedof.me etc. WireGuard is somewhat slower e.g. Speedtest results of 50Mbps on WG instead of 100Mbps with OpenVPN for vpn unlimited.

Thanks for giving me hope, I’m close to getting another router lol, stable internet is important at home since the wife works from home, zoom meetings etc.

I believe it happens when im using OpenVPN or WireGuard, it doesn’t matter what protocol, I could be wrong, hoping the logs will show something it’s 17 minutes to 12pm! It always goes down at this time, I’m not home, but will check when I get back! Thanks for the help!

Router did not crash at 12pm, waiting for the 6pm time mark. When I set the traceroute to a value of #2, VPN tunnel status for VPN unlimited OpenVPN protocol is red, same as if I put #3, so I put it back to #1, and it is green indicated it is connected. Again #2 and #3 values will show VPN status is disconnected, but in reality I am connected to the VPN. Waiting for the crash or reboot to happen and will check logs, thanks :)

Just wanted to give everyone an update, if you are curious on my situation. R9000 I am using the latest Voxel / Kamoj beta (Router Firmware Version (Voxel) V1.0.4.57.1HF / Kamoj Add-on V5.5b18), with PPPoE connection, and AdGuard Home on. My router would reboot on its own at either 6am or 12pm or even 6pm. Special thanks to @kamoj for helping me with the logs and figuring out that Traffic Meter needs to be turned off (it was wearing out the flash memory), I turned off QoS as well, below is a screenshot on where it is located within Kamoj addon. So far I have been online and stable for over 4 days now, very smooth.

Changes in kamoj-addon beta version 2022-02-10 5.5b19
- Renamed wifi_info_ip. sh to addon_wifi_info.sh and added header to its output.
- Corrected bug that switch on Traffic Meter if not switched off in the kamoj Settings menu. (@jberry, @primitivo)

The main cause:
Code:

Hello,

That is a good idea. I see the same thing with dmesg.txt. Other than that my R9000 has been running well - although I have not yet installed the newest version of Voxel firmware.

Best wishes,
BL

Dear @kamoj thank you for your continuous work!

I never had the following issue with prevous versions, until I upgraded yesterday to the latest Voxel firmware 92SF and kamoj addon v5.5b19 on my R7800 and I had trouble enabling Adguard. I noticed that whenever enabling Adguard all devices connected on my router went offline, even though Router>Basic>Internet was reporting as GOOD. Additionally i could not connect on Adguard login screen.

Only solution was to reboot router to get Internet back and be able to connect to Adguard dashboard. Then I went to bed and on the morning went to work. I came back in the afternoon, started my pc and realized that Internet was again not connected on my PC. Had to reboot router again to get it back (while i forgot to check the logs). Also my wife told me that in the morning she didn't have Internet.

I checked Traffic Meter service and it is already disabled.

Adguard enabled throughout the whole day. Also when we press Download Latest Version button how long does it actually take to download it, as there is no indicator for this? Maybe my installation is not complete or corrupted.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!