What's new

Kamoj Kamoj Addon 5.5 Beta for Netgear R7800/R8900/R9000 with Voxel FW

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

First, toggle the "On" checkbox, and change time to 1 minute, and press Ok.
(The checkbox itself makes no update, you need to press "Ok" after each change.)
And again see if the program is there or not.
Run from router prompt:
Code:
ps2 | grep idle
(For R7800 the output looks like:
Code:
root@R7800:~$ ps2 | grep idle
root       786        0  0.0  0.0   1712   384 pts/0    S+   19:47   0:00    1   786   0 grep idle
root     31236        0  0.0  0.0    820   240 ?        S    19:47   0:00    1 31236   1 /usr/bin/hd-idle -i 60
)
Of course I pressed "Ok" after check "On" in the box, but I didn't change default 30 minutes. I will change it in a while and I'll tell you.

Of course I pressed "Ok" after check "On" in the box, but I didn't change default 30 minutes. I will change it in a while and I'll tell you.

Hello,

It looks like you use plex media server on your router. If so, I doubt that your HDD can go in sleep (hibernation) mode.

At least that is true on my NAS where I stop Plex media server if I want my HDD to hibernate.

JC

Hello,

It looks like you use plex media server on your router. If so, I doubt that your HDD can go in sleep (hibernation) mode.

At least that is true on my NAS where I stop Plex media server if I want my HDD to hibernate.

JC
You are right. HDD that have PLEX library metadata turns on every 5 minutes after going sleep mode. So now "sleep mode" works, but only If I disable PLEX AND DLNA SERVER. I guess there isn't any fix for this.. Anyway, thanks @kamoj

I've found a fix for this. I plug a USB 3.0 pendrive (not powered) for just PLEX library, and in the other USB router port is plugged a 5 TB HDD with the media files that doesn't wake up.

Hi, I'm sorry for may be noob questions. I want to install VPN client on my R7800 router. I've maneged to install Kamoj Addon(v5.0) as described here https://www.snbforums.com/threads/kamoj-add-on-v5-for-netgear-r7800-x4s-and-r9000-x10.60590/
But should I performed steps described in https://www.voxel-firmware.com/Downloads/Voxel/readme.pdf to enable VPN client on my router? Or may be Kamoj Addon already did these steps?
Another question - if I want to install new version of Kamoj Addon (v5.5) - where can I find detailed instruction for this?
Thank you in advance

Dear @kamoj or anyone else, in the last couple of weeks (maybe even more) I am facing below issue. I am not sure it is related to the Kamoj addon config, but it seems it appeared after a certain Voxel/Kamoj update. Anyway here it goes:

The IP TV subscription I am using on my android tv box (official Cosmote TV of Greece), is very slow, channels freeze or get black screen or stream in very bad quality. I have to stop the app, clear cache and restart and sometimes it's still the same so I have to restart the whole android tv box. Then it will work for some mins but the problem will come back. This happens to both of my boxes as well as on my mobile phones. Service is working fine for other users. I tried with 4G and it works perfect. I then tried connecting directly on my ISP's modem/router (ISP modem router is bridged on my R7800) and again it works without issues. Therefore, issue lies within my R7800 config, which I never changed, I just each time update to the latest Voxel f/w & Kamoj addon.

This issue appears only with the specified live-streaming service. Everything else (ie. Netflix, browsing, downloading, Youtube, Online gaming etc.) works fine. I tried disabling Adguard and Aegis and the problem remains. I tried different DNS with no avail. I tried changing congestion control from yeah to westwood and again issue remains.

I understand the issue is very general, however can you think of any troubleshoot step I should take? Or any logs i could check?

Many thanks in advance!

Hi,

I used wireguard with vogel 1.0.4.58HF and Kamoj Add-on V5.5b20 and I have a strange error :
2022-03-11 11:55:26 954.92 [WireGuard] Client rc.common 13261: Error: No EndPoint is defined.
2022-03-11 11:55:26 954.93 [WireGuard] Client rc.common 13261: Error: No LocalIP is defined.
2022-03-11 11:55:26 954.94 [WireGuard] Client rc.common 13261: Error: No PublicKey is defined.
2022-03-11 11:55:26 954.94 [WireGuard] Client rc.common 13261: Error: No PrivateKey is defined.
2022-03-11 11:55:26 954.95 [WireGuard] Client rc.common 13261: Error: No Port is defined.

As if I didn't have configuration files, yet I had cut/paste the data of configuration file.

I think it juste a parameter issue but i don't know where

strange, I also tested it.

- stopped AGH via add-on GUI (setting DNS filter/encryption to none; had to do this a few times before it would stick)

- mkdir /mnt/optware/adguard_home/

- cp -r /tmp/addons/adguard_home/* /mnt/optware/adguard_home/
(copy existing stats)

- nano /usr/bin/addon_adguard.sh and changes the mentioned line to tmpdir="/mnt/optware/adguard_home"; [ ! -d "$tmpdir" ] && \mkdir -p "$tmpdir"

- started AGH again via add-on GUI

For me AGH now still works fine and I do see that the data is stored on the USB.
also re-enabled the query-log as I now no longer have the risk of running out of tmp space
Update: for me after some time also DNS failed when I redirected Adguard Home to USB disk with the above method:

Solution:
delete /opt/scripts/firewall-start-adguardhome.sh and restart AGH.
(if this file exists, then the AGH startup-script does not recreate / modify it -> it then is still looking for the firewall start script in /tmp, where it no longer is created.
because of the missing file, the DNS redirection to AGH stops working at a firewall restart (or a reboot))

Have you guys noticed any slowdowns because of moving AGH to USB?

Also is there any limit on DNS Queries held within the router storage? My DNS query log on AGH is set to 90 days but I have noticed that the number of DNS queries comes down after some time and it never goes beyond 20-35k with DNS caching enabled. I think before enabling DNS caching I had up to 60k (on R9000). So it seems to me as if it would delete some queries automatically instead of holding it forever (I mean 90 days). My router uptime is now 25 days I did not update Kamoj addon or reinstall AGH and query log is 20.000, which is nowhere close to where it should be after running for 25 days.

@kamoj would you be able to gather the feedback above and make it more like an automatic process of moving AGH to USB, so it keeps the logs upon rebooting?

Update: for me after some time also DNS failed when I redirected Adguard Home to USB disk with the above method:

Solution:
delete /opt/scripts/firewall-start-adguardhome.sh and restart AGH.
(if this file exists, then the AGH startup-script does not recreate / modify it -> it then is still looking for the firewall start script in /tmp, where it no longer is created.
because of the missing file, the DNS redirection to AGH stops working at a firewall restart (or a reboot))
And another update:

it seems that also the link for AGH in the Kamoj Menu gets broken after moving the AGH folder to USB.
It now points to http://routerlogin.net: on my router.
So I guess the script that is responsible for generating the links in that Kamoj Menu also needs to know that the location has changed. (because it is probably parsing the AGH config file to get the correct port number)

Edit:
found it

/www/adv_index.htm has these lines that use the old location:
Code:
var adguard_port_dns = "<% cat_file("/tmp/addons/adguard_home/port_dns") %>";
var adguard_bind_port_www = "<% cat_file("/tmp/addons/adguard_home/bind_port_www") %>";

Last edited:
Have you guys noticed any slowdowns because of moving AGH to USB?

Also is there any limit on DNS Queries held within the router storage? My DNS query log on AGH is set to 90 days but I have noticed that the number of DNS queries comes down after some time and it never goes beyond 20-35k with DNS caching enabled. I think before enabling DNS caching I had up to 60k (on R9000). So it seems to me as if it would delete some queries automatically instead of holding it forever (I mean 90 days). My router uptime is now 25 days I did not update Kamoj addon or reinstall AGH and query log is 20.000, which is nowhere close to where it should be after running for 25 days.

@kamoj would you be able to gather the feedback above and make it more like an automatic process of moving AGH to USB, so it keeps the logs upon rebooting?

I didn't notice any slowdowns

Where do you check the amount of DNS queries?
Because there are 2 configurable settings.
Amount of hours/days to retain query logs
Amount of hours/days to retain statistics.
(and strangely, AGH allows to use a lower number for the statistics than for the queries. Not sure why you'd want it this way.)

The amount that is shown in the dashboard is the statistics.
So perhaps that one is still at the default of 7 days? or maybe even only 24 hours ??

Hey fellow testers! I had to make a change in my network and need some guidance/advice on how to keep the R9000 with @kamoj add-on in my network for the DNSCrypt and ReadyShare/Plex features.

I'm currently testing an unreleased Orbi Pro and used to have it BEHIND the R9000 as an AP (with the R9000's Wireless turned off). I have to put the Orbi Pro as the base of the network now, but wanted to just keep the R9000 attached with a USB Drive to allow file sharing, DNS-over-HTTPS server, and Plex.

The R9000 is currently running in AP mode (without wireless on), a few devices hard wired to it (so it's acting as a switch) and connected to the Orbi Pro via the WAN/Internet port. Despite the R9000 having its own IP, I can't seem to use that as the "DNS Server Address" in this scenario - nothing will resolve.

Is the DNSCrypt running inside the Kamoj Add-On only going to resolve things initiated FROM the R9000, or is there a way to have it act as a DNS Server of its own?

I've had the R9000 for a few years now (like many of us) but it's beginning to become that time where I phase the device out and use better wireless technologies. I was hoping to keep it around as a network appliance that can continue to do some of the fun things in the Voxel/Kamoj firmwares, but maybe it's time to retire it?

For congestion control, cubic seems to have improved streaming with my setup. Might want to give that a try.
I think currently with Voxel and Kamoj setup, congestion control is set to high speed, before it was set to yeah, I think the default is cubic, I may need to try this, sometimes my streaming via VPN for netflix isnt that great with certain VPN providers, thanks!

Is the DNSCrypt running inside the Kamoj Add-On only going to resolve things initiated FROM the R9000, or is there a way to have it act as a DNS Server of its own?

I cannot answer for an R9000 in AP mode. But an R7800 acts as follows:

with DNSCrypt enabled via Kamoj:
clients who are configured to use the router as DNS (for instance via DHCP), send their DNS queries to router IP via port 53.
dnsmasq on the router intercepts the request and forwards it to DNSCrypt
DNSCrypt sends the request to one of the configured DNSCrypt servers. (if not on any configured blacklist).
Once the answer comes in, dnsmasq sends it to client.

Router itself (for instance in SSH session) uses the DNS servers that are configured in /etc/resolv.conf

So if you want your router to also use DNSCrypt for DNS lookups, then you need to change "Internet Setup" and manually specified your router IP as the only DNS server.

Risk of this approach: The moment you disable DNScrypt, your DNS breaks. dnsmasq will then try to resolve via itself, causing a loop.

Also, afaik, by default, dnsmasq (and thus DNSCrypt) is disabled when the router is in AP mode. (at least it is on R7800).
So you would have to alter some configuration files in order for dnsmasq (and maybe DNScrypt) to be started when router is in AP mode.
(probably /etc/init.d/dnsmasq)

And I don't know if you can specify the DNS server via GUI, if you are in AP mode.

Hi, I've installed Kamoj Addon 5.5 Beta on my R7800 - V1.0.2.92SF (2022-02-18) (Voxel). Kamoj Add-on:220305-194131-5.5b20. Aegis:1.7.12.
Also I managed to configured config files for OpenVPN and Wireguard. After running corresponding client there is no errors in log, but VPN doesn't work - status is red and I cannot connect to any external host. What could be the reason?
Regards, Vasiliy

Attachments

• 2022-03-30_19-59-18.jpg
    2022-03-30_19-59-18.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 86
  • 2022-03-30_19-55-49.jpg
    2022-03-30_19-55-49.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 80
Hi, I've installed Kamoj Addon 5.5 Beta on my R7800 - V1.0.2.92SF (2022-02-18) (Voxel). Kamoj Add-on:220305-194131-5.5b20. Aegis:1.7.12.
Also I managed to configured config files for OpenVPN and Wireguard. After running corresponding client there is no errors in log, but VPN doesn't work - status is red and I cannot connect to any external host. What could be the reason?
Regards, Vasiliy
I'm away from keyboard and have limited I internet access, so
Cant help much now, but,
Please try and check the boxes for:
Status cyclic update.
Restart at connection failure.
Also switch on extened in supervision menu+check traceroute setting, and look at supervision log. Please attach dump of router information as well.
It might help you to switch on use of Dnscrypt.
I suggest you try openvpn first since it har more checks and extended reporting to identify issues.
Stay safe!

Last edited:
Regards, Vasiliy
Do you have both OpenVPN and Wireguard enabled at the same time? Because I don't think that is supported.

also, how did you conclude that you cannot connect to external hosts?
did you only try connecting via DNS name? or did you also try connecting via IP-address.
(for instance ping 8.8.8.8)

Potential cause: the DNS servers from your ISP provider are only accessible via their connection.
The moment you enable VPN, traffic to those DNS servers would be routed via VPN and thus no longer work.
So it appears the connection is down, because you can no longer browse via DNS names.

If so, then solutions are:
manually configure different DNS servers.
Or start using DNSCrypt (this also use different DNS servers).
Or in the VPN bypassing settings, enable "Router it-self bypass VPN" (this way the router will connect to internet directly and thus the ISP DNS servers would be reachable again.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!