What's new

Linksys WRT1900AC wireless stability?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

brfitzp

New Around Here
I'm looking to upgrade from my asus rt-ac66u to the new Linksys wrt1900.

The ac66u crashes often and i need to unplug the power for wired and wireless connections, and often time my wireless will not work at all on any device and wired connections are still up and running fine. I've reflashed firmwares and in the past month have tried merlin's firmware as well so I must have a hardware problem.

Either way, my goal with my next router is to have stable wifi with excellent coverage.

I know the router just came out this past week but for those of you who picked on up, how stable has the wireless been? Any hiccups?

I've read the reviews and it's mostly talk about speeds which look great but nothing about the stability.

The ac66u crashes often and i need to unplug the power for wired and wireless connections, and often time my wireless will not work at all on any device and wired connections are still up and running fine. I've reflashed firmwares and in the past month have tried merlin's firmware as well so I must have a hardware problem.

Either way, my goal with my next router is to have stable wifi with excellent coverage.

I know the router just came out this past week but for those of you who picked on up, how stable has the wireless been? Any hiccups?

I've read the reviews and it's mostly talk about speeds which look great but nothing about the stability.

Never had any stability issues with my AC66U routers.

While I bought two WRT-1900AC unit to replace my two AC66U units, my AC66U routers never have to be rebooted (last time I rebooted either of them was when the firmware was upgraded).
This is in two entirely different homes (mine and my fiancee's place) with two different operating systems and different clients.

Last edited:
Hi,
Same experience with RT-AC66U when I had it B4 R7000. Only time it came down was
when I flashed firmware. It ran and ran w/o any problems. I admit tho I did not use all the features the router offered. Now R7000 on dd-wrt is same, it just runs and runs.
First thing I do when I start using a router, I don't use stock AC adapter. I use my own higher quality heavier rated adapter.(Proven by measuring output quality with test gear)

Last edited:
What AC adapter you use ? Do you have to splice in the connector for the Asus as it's a strange connector

Hi,
Mine is rated at 5 amps. Google or eBay for some thing other than coming from China.
Made in China spec'd by name brand manufacturer will be OK. See who is selling the item. I have a lab grade multiple voltage output DC power supply. That is what I use. By doing this, when some funnies happen AC adapter won't be a suspect. Same on Desk top PSU. One of my buddy in Silicon Valley manufactures desk top, laptop PSUs. I get it from him(Y.K systems)

If you going to use 3rd party power adapter, make sure its same Voltage ratting but higher Amperage.

WRT1900AC 5 GHz is rock solid and the 2.4 GHz is shaky. My RT-N66W handled better on the 2.4 GHz band.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If you going to use 3rd party power adapter, make sure its same Voltage ratting but higher Amperage.

Also worth pointing out make sure the plug that inserts into the router has the same polarity as the original. Some plugs use the outside as positive and some use the center pin as positive be careful to get this right or it will fry the router.

Hi,
We need a router 2.4 and 5GHz band both doing equally well. So far it looks like if one band is improved the other band is left out vice versa.

In mixed mode it constantly ran in the 40 MHz bandwidth causing bad wifi. Once switched to N only and 20 MHz it was much better. Guess it's trying to push the 600 Mbps to my devices and I don't have any. Not many other wifi networks in my area. My bedroom upstairs on the opposite side of the house from the router still is a dead spot. I'll keep playing with it to see if signal improves.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

In mixed mode it constantly ran in the 40 MHz bandwidth causing bad wifi. Once switched to N only and 20 MHz it was much better. Guess it's trying to push the 600 Mbps to my devices and I don't have any. Not many other wifi networks in my area. My bedroom upstairs on the opposite side of the house from the router still is a dead spot. I'll keep playing with it to see if signal improves.
That confirms that it does not obey 40 MHz coexistence rules when set to auto. Set it to 20 MHz mode and it will obey.

Not quite sure what is the difference on leaving it in mixed mode or B/G/N Only. My guess is mixed mode is if you want the full 600 Mbps and B/G/N Only is for 450 Mbps.

Not quite sure what is the difference on leaving it in mixed mode or B/G/N Only. My guess is mixed mode is if you want the full 600 Mbps and B/G/N Only is for 450 Mbps.
Leave it in mixed mode and use the bandwidth switch to make it stay at 20 MHz bandwidth.

Leave it in mixed mode and use the bandwidth switch to make it stay at 20 MHz bandwidth.

This is how I originally set up 2.4GHz. band on my WRT1900AC, and it has been working fine here. Although I don't use it for streaming anymore, mostly devices that only support 2.4GHz., but it does still get used a lot, and has been doing just fine. No problems.

rt-ac66U to WRT1900

I have had the same issues with the ASUS ac66U. My IP cameras would constantly disconnect on 2.4Ghz and one of them is literally 15 feet away with one wall in the way. Microwave turns on forget it.. One reason I run as much as I can on 5Ghz. However between the daily IP camera disconnects and it's inability to get solid 5Ghz signal throughout my home without the use of another access point. I thought I would pick up the WRT1900 and give that a try.

I can tell you setup was easy, and the WRT1900 sends 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz signal through my entire home. Full bars on my idevices, laptops, XBOX and PC's. I have had no disconnects on my D-Link IP cameras and the Microwave did not cause interference any longer. So for me in my situation the WRT1900 solved the need for an additional access point and my interference problems, disconnects. (i'm not going to say that frequency interference with a microwave will be solved for anyone else, but just that it worked for me in my case)

I don't mind spending a little more money if the product does what I need it to, this did. So far very happy with the device.

I would suggest also to move 2.4Ghz from mixed mode to B/G/N, I had issues with older Ralink USB dongles (802.11g) and the Linux ATH9K driver with the single stream AR9285 chipset.

Moving the 2.4Ghz side to B/G/N (or N-only) - you lose QAM256, but it's a solid 3-stream N450/N216 performer - no interop issues noted in B/G/N mode.

sfx

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!