What's new

Local DNS Server + WebGUI? When?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Ilyuha, mromero noticed DNSMASQ for reason - it can serve as a local DNS server ;)

Ilyuha, mromero noticed DNSMASQ for reason - it can serve as a local DNS server ;)

The little research I've done shows that while DNSMASQ can function as an authoritative DNS server, it is very cumbersome to set this up and requires loading records into an external DNS server.

But DNSMASQ is great as a DNS FORWARDER and CACHE especially if you bump up the cache limit to 5,000 or more (max 10,000). I've had snappier response compared to leaving it at its default in Merlin's build which is 1,500.

It would be great if someone would one of these days port UNBOUND to ENTWARE so it could be used with Merlin's build.

UNBOUND is a really neat recursive / authoritative / caching DNS server with DNSSEC capabilities and far more capable compared to DNSMASQ.

UNBOUND is a really neat recursive / authoritative / caching DNS server with DNSSEC capabilities and far more capable compared to DNSMASQ.
UNBOUND can be launched but needs proper configuration.
./unbound: invalid option -- -
usage: unbound [options]
start unbound daemon DNS resolver.
-h this help
-c file config file to read instead of /usr/etc/unbound/unbound.conf
file format is described in unbound.conf(5).
-d do not fork into the background.
-v verbose (more times to increase verbosity)
Version 1.4.21

UNBOUND can be launched but needs proper configuration.

Are you running UNBOUND on the N66U?

What configs are needed?

Do you need to disable DNSMASQ?

On PFSENSE you can run but by disabling the DNS forwarder - this is easy as there is a GUI to manage the packages.

Are you running UNBOUND on the N66U?
On my poor little yet courageous RT-AC66U. It's gone through so many reflashings...
What configs are needed?
Obviously it requires file '/usr/etc/unbound/unbound.conf' which obviously is UNBOUND's config file :) However, its content is totally out of my humble competence.
Do you need to disable DNSMASQ?
I think so since they both use the same UDP port 53. Or at least they should use it. But prior to kill DNSMASQ you need to make UNBOUND work :)

Asuswrt uses dnsmasq for more than just name resolution, it's also the DHCP server. You can't completely stop.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!