What's new

Looking for good N router, range & antennas

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

oldtrlrnr

New Around Here
I'm looking for a good, simultaneous dual-band N router with good range, and preferably external, upgradeable antennas. But the router with the best range seems to be the Cisco/Linksys E4200 that has internal antennas. The Trendnet TEW 692GR has 3-stream external antennas, but seems its range isn't quite as good.

Maybe I'm placing too much emphasis on external, upgradeable antennas.

Appreciate any suggestions, both for routers and antennas.

Bob

Note that when some user reports on range, his client device may differ substantially from those that you intend to use.

Range and speed vs. range is more affected by the characteristics of the client device than of the WiFi router. This is especially true as the client devices most always have far less transmitted (radiated) power than does the WiFi router or access point.

Maybe I'm placing too much emphasis on external, upgradeable antennas.
You could be. It's difficult to find high-gain, omnidirectional dual-band antennas. 8 dBi is typically what people find and the reports I've seen say they don't make much difference.

External antennas don't indicate better performance. Internal antennas are just as good.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!