What's new

Looking for hardware suggestions

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

nwaves

New Around Here
Current setup: FIOS ONT, coax connection to Actiontec MI424WR-ver.I, 1 public IP. Configured Actiontec to run 2 separate VLANs. VLAN1 (private side, 2 hardwired PCs, 2 laptops, couple of phones, printers, a tablet and a Lorex NVR416 security camera system with 10 POE cameras running off of the main NVR and a secondary 8 port POE switch, one SSID off of the Actiontec). VLAN2 (public) goes to a Dlink DIR-655 that runs 2 SSIDs (main & guest, guest SSID only operates between certain hours). Dlink stays inside the house behind a window but it's there to cover an outside area of about 75x75 yards, no trees or other obstacles. Existing setup was done some 8 years ago on a $100 budget for hardware. Would like to get some better hardware (AC1750 or better), an outdoor AP (Ubiquity?) to replace the Dlink, set the security system on it's own VLAN3, indoor AP AC1750 or better for VLAN1. Budget is low, looking to keep the whole setup under $3-400 if possible. I can probably persuade Verizon to run CAT 5 from the ONT to the router, but that's not 100% sure. Need to keep the Actiontec in play somehow as I have a couple of DVRs that need to run over MOCA, preferably on VLAN2. Outdoor AP should be able to handle over 100 simultaneous connections (not the norm but it does happen occasionally).

Any suggestions are highly appreciated.

Last edited: