What's new

Looking to upgrade from my Asus RT-N66U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Explosion

New Around Here
I've had an Asus RT-N66U for about 3 years now and it has been fine. I have been looking to upgrade to a wireless AC router in the future, but recently the power button has malfunctioned so I have to use tape and some pennies to keep the router on. Money is no object (I am looking for a consumer router). Here is my current setup:

• 1400 square foot home
  • Router is placed in the living room, on the same wall as master bedroom
  • Wired devices (in living room)
    • Home Theater PC filled to the brim with MKV format Blu-Ray rips (yes I own the physical copies)
    • Playstation 4
  • Wireless devices
    • Nintendo Wii U (in living room)
    • Desktop computer in MBR (currently on a powerline adapter, but only getting 16 MBPS via speedtest.net, running the same test on my Note 3 gives me about 90MBPS while sitting in front of the desktop. I will get a wireless AC usb adapter (recommendations appreciated(, as I think this will give my better performance)
    • Amazon Fire TV (MBR)
    • Playstation 4 (MBR)
    • Desktop in 2nd bedroom located on other side of home, opposite of MBR (connected to wireless N ethernet bridge)
    • 1 Dell XPS 13 laptop, 3 android smartphones (travel all around the house)
  • Usage and concerns
    • Most common use for WiFi is wirelessly streaming content from HTPC in living room to Amazon Fire TV, and Desktop in 2nd bedroom (using Kodi/XBMC over SMB). As well as accessing Amazon Instant Video content directly through the Fire TV.
    • Online gaming mainly through Playstation 4 and PC in MBR.
    • I commonly pass large files over my network via SMB between all devices. (Smartphone to PC, PC to HTPC, HTPC to laptop, etc)
    • Not sure if important, but I subscribe to CrashPlan it is it always running on the HTPC. Through constant Blu-Ray rips and large amounts of photos from my wife's camera, there is data flowing through this wired PC nonstop 24/7.

I tried editing the post, but it wouldn't let me submit it, so here it is:

EDIT: I forgot to mention that there is also an Amazon Echo in the living room, a Dropcam Pro in the 3rd bedroom that it right next to the 2nd bedroom, and a PS Vita.

From the research I have done so far, I am not sure if a AC1900 router would work best for me with it's higher throughput speeds, or if I would benefit more from a AC3200 with less interference. I have been looking at the Netgear R7000 Nighthawk or Asus RT-AC68U for AC1900. For AC3200, I have my eye set on the D-Link DIR 890L or the Netgear R8000 Nighthawk. I am not dead set on either option, and I am open to other suggestions.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!