What's new

Make the ASUS Router GUI faster ...

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

eclp

In my opinion, the general performance of the GUI leaves a lot to be desired.

To check this yourself you can use Google's PageSpeed Insights for Chrome. For example, I currently receive a score of only 29/100 (PageSpeed results with RT88U at 384.4).
This leaves room for improvement. Most things are (I think) relatively easy to do, caching or compression for example.

Is there a general interest or am I alone here with my opinion?

iXkAXTC.png

---

A small error message regarding Synchronous XMLHttpRequest is relatively easy to fix:
Chrome Developer Tools:
[Deprecation] Synchronous XMLHttpRequest on the main thread is deprecated because of its detrimental effects to the end user's experience.
For more help, check https://xhr.spec.whatwg.org/.

jquery.js :5
Code:
.open(n.type,n.url,n.async),n.xhrFields)

fix:
Code:
.open(n.type,n.url,n.async || true),n.xhrFields)

:)

Seems quick enough , hit button page changes , don't see what being .005 sec faster would bring to the table .

The kind of thing that don't affect normal users, perceptible just by optimization tools...

The web server is single threaded. It will never be a speed daemon, as it can only handle one single connection at a time.

Compression makes no sense over a LAN, the time needed to compress the data on a 800 MHz CPU would be longer than the saving over 1 Gbps LAN connection.

Caching is already optimized as best as possible, almost all the webui pages are dynamically processed before being sent and therefore cannot be cached.

1) The GUI is lightning fast for me using https , I see no issue at all.

2) As the GUI password protected and is inaccessible to the Page speeds insight test , how did you conduct this test?

Thanks for your feedback.

@AndreiV ...
You can download PageSpeed from the Chrome Web Store as an add-on to Chrome. And try it! :)
--> https://goo.gl/862NpF

I did these performance optimizations on an OpenWRT router myself. Initially only out of interest and boredom.

But the result is very amazing, the WebUI is hardly recognizable. Lightning fast. :cool:

Once you have made the new speed experience yourself, you don't want to miss it! I, for one, don't.
Personally, I think you should always get the most out of it. How slow would most websites be without this development...?

I did these performance optimizations on an OpenWRT router myself. Initially only out of interest and boredom.

Are you aware of ppl running pixelserv-tls on OpenWRT? I know people are compiling it as some of them have submitted patches. Would be good to know some users.

But the result is very amazing, the WebUI is hardly recognizable. Lightning fast.

pixelserv-tls uses some of the listed techniques :cool:

Thanks for your feedback.

@AndreiV ...
You can download PageSpeed from the Chrome Web Store as an add-on to Chrome. And try it! :)
--> https://goo.gl/862NpF

PageSpeed was unable to connect to the server. Ensure that you are using the correct protocol (http vs https), the page loads in a browser, and is accessible on the public Internet.

Like I am going to open my router to the public internet o_O:rolleyes:

As it is my Asus GUI is as fast as any other site I use.​

Not sure what value there is in making it faster. Once the router is configured and operational, I spend almost 0 time in the GUI. Maybe log in occasionally to do a traffic analysis or look at logs. All over LAN; never over WAN. Seems plenty fast for how most users use it. If any time is to be spent on performance improvements, it's better spent on routing througput, VPN - the core functions of the router where all users benefit; not just the ADMIN during configuration. ;)

OP made a few good points in the original post. If I were ASUS, I would listen and check how I could improve myself.

Don't be so negative to ideas and suggestions...

In my opinion, the general performance of the GUI leaves a lot to be desired.

To check this yourself you can use Google's PageSpeed Insights for Chrome. For example, I currently receive a score of only 29/100 (PageSpeed results with RT88U at 384.4).
This leaves room for improvement. Most things are (I think) relatively easy to do, caching or compression for example.

Is there a general interest or am I alone here with my opinion?

iXkAXTC.png

---

A small error message regarding Synchronous XMLHttpRequest is relatively easy to fix:
Chrome Developer Tools:

jquery.js :5
Code:
.open(n.type,n.url,n.async),n.xhrFields)

fix:
Code:
.open(n.type,n.url,n.async || true),n.xhrFields)

I'm 100% in agreement here. The UI can be really slow and still has a lot of issues in the codebase. There's even a full-blown syntax error when you click "Wireless".
Code:
wl_channel_list_2g = ["0", "0", "0", "0", "0", "0", "0", "0", "0", "0", "0", "0", "0", "0", "0", "0", "0", "0", "0", "0", "0", "0", "0", "0", "0", "0", "0", "0", "0", "0", "0", "0",;

fix:
Code:
wl_channel_list_2g = ["0", "0", "0", "0", "0", "0", "0", "0", "0", "0", "0", "0", "0", "0", "0", "0", "0", "0", "0", "0", "0", "0", "0", "0", "0", "0", "0", "0", "0", "0", "0", "0"];

I love this router, but I have to agree that it's a ton slower than some other routers I've had. This has always confused me because it's RIGHT THERE. The packets literally travel 6 feet. This is a dual-core CPU with 512MB of RAM and it's dramatically slower than my 10 year old D-Link.

I love this router, but I have to agree that it's a ton slower than some other routers I've had. This has always confused me because it's RIGHT THERE. The packets literally travel 6 feet. This is a dual-core CPU with 512MB of RAM and it's dramatically slower than my 10 year old D-Link.

Try NETGEAR's firmware, then come back and tell me again ASUS' one is slow :p

I'm 40 feet and a few walls away and the pages come up as quickly as I blink , don't see how being 100th of a sec faster brings anything to the table . Security and stability are more important in my books , not running a race .

I'm 40 feet and a few walls away and the pages come up as quickly as I blink , don't see how being 100th of a sec faster brings anything to the table .

You have little idea what you're talking..

Security and stability are more important in my books , not running a race .

Then throw away ASUS and get something better :D

I bow to your superiority

I meant there are good points in the OP. Perhaps targeting the wrong readership. But they're valid points and some of them them are low hanging fruits for the right eyes to harvest.

Security and stability are more important in my books , not running a race .
Oh, I agree entirely. Not sure how your stuff is loading in the blink of an eye, but I'm happy for you. I wouldn't say it *crawls* either. Any particular page LOADS fast, it's the delay on serving up the page... Maybe 1-3 seconds after a click? Then the whole new page is there in a flash.

As JSinFVCA said, I'm not in there very often so it's not the end of the world... but if the OP is going through and pointing out bits of code that are slowing it down, it should be child's play to fix that for the next release, right? :eek: (Caveat: I'm not a programmer. I did used to write HTML web pages in Notepad long, long ago.)

Try NETGEAR's firmware, then come back and tell me again ASUS' one is slow :p
Actually they were the same speed in my experience both were very responsive, but that's just my experience.

Actually they were the same speed in my experience both were very responsive, but that's just my experience.

The pages load fine, but a bit slower than ASUS. It's retrieving the settings on some pages that can take some time. On ASUS it's virtually instant, while on NG you get the "Please wait one moment..." until it gets all settings

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!