What's new

Manually Assigned IP around the DHCP list Revisited

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

cdikland

Regular Contributor
Numerous devices manually assigned an IP are suddenly being assigned a totally differrent number. These same devices have had the same IP for months and months but today I noticed that 6 devices have a totally different IP. I am certain this problem started after the last router reboot a day ago because I check my Network map regularly and would have noticed these changes. My Manual list has an IP range from 200-249 well within the range of the IP pool 10-254. This list has been in place and unchanged for at least 1 month. Only change I made recently to the router was add an email notification when it reboots. Hence reason for most recent reboot.

I posted a similar problem a few months ago as I am having now. At that time the problem with IP assignment was related to 1 camera but now multiple devices are no longer getting the assigned IP in the list.:confused:

Under what circumstances would the DHCP server assign an IP different from that within this list?

Router: AC68U
FW: 374.41

Last edited:
If your devices are behind a bridge/repeater, then it might be preventing the router from seeing the client's real MACs, and seeing the bridge's MAC instead. Not much you can do about it.

Also make sure you don't have a second DHCP server running on your network.

You could always take the devices you want with a static IP and assign the IP manually on the device. Works well for devices that don't move around (like desktops / TV's / etc.) not so well for mobile devices.

If your devices are behind a bridge/repeater, then it might be preventing the router from seeing the client's real MACs, and seeing the bridge's MAC instead. Not much you can do about it.

Also make sure you don't have a second DHCP server running on your network.

Actually the devices are connected wirelessly to the AC68U (main) router and AC66U (AP) router. This has been working well for months and all of a sudden several devices are getting different IP than that manually assigned. :confused: Weird.... just dont know what changed.

You could always take the devices you want with a static IP and assign the IP manually on the device. Works well for devices that don't move around (like desktops / TV's / etc.) not so well for mobile devices.

That was possible for my cameras however Belkin Wemo and my spa wifi module do not provide that functionality. :(

I discovered that only/all wireless devices attached to the AP router (66U) were not being assigned the IP within the list. Rebooting this and main router + restarting all devices didnt do anything. If there was an error in the System log, it wasnt obvious. So I went back to square 1

I deleted all Manually Assigned entries within the DHCP list, applied and rebooted. I then re-created the list (I have a script) and restarted all my wireless devices. Voila... All is good ;)