What's new

max speed vpn?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

razor92

Occasional Visitor
hello guys, i have asus ax88u with merlin fw. my downlaod speed is 920mb but if i connect my pc to asus router ax88u without vpn download speed is 850-870mb but if i connect my pc with express vpn my downlaod speed is only 170mb. why??? i lose speed with my router asus :(

hello guys, i have asus ax88u with merlin fw. my downlaod speed is 920mb but if i connect my pc to asus router ax88u without vpn download speed is 850-870mb but if i connect my pc with express vpn my downlaod speed is only 170mb. why??? i lose speed with my router asus :(
200mb/s is the max rate to expect with a OVPN connection with your router. Which is outstanding really, compared to others.

200mb/s is the max rate to expect with a OVPN connection with your router.

I’ve seen up to 275Mbps, but on selected servers only and not every time, with NordVPN.

Max i've done on Express VPN with my router is 200mbps.

VPN client download speeds tend to vary more than just a straight WAN connection. Just more moving parts. ( See screen shot below.)

Also IMHO given the economics of the commercial VPN providers they really can't afford to offer higher speeds for $3 - $7 per month. If your getting 200+ Mbps downloads that is good as it is going to get currently.

To prove to yourself it isn't a limitation of your router (assuming it supports AES-NI) install a VPN client from your VPN provider of choice on a PC wired to your router, turn off the VPN client on the router and run a speed test.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2020-03-04 Internet Speedtest.png
    Screenshot_2020-03-04 Internet Speedtest.png
    169.5 KB · Views: 216
speed test with asus ax88u 822mb download

speed test with principal router ( vodafone station ) 900mb+ why?

Attachments

• Schermata 2020-03-06 alle 11.32.53.png
    Schermata 2020-03-06 alle 11.32.53.png
    112.6 KB · Views: 194
  • Schermata 2020-03-06 alle 11.34.24.png
    Schermata 2020-03-06 alle 11.34.24.png
    96.5 KB · Views: 187
speed test with asus ax88u 822mb download

speed test with principal router ( vodafone station ) 900mb+ why?

Because your own router does something your ISP router doesn't, perhaps? Disable all TrendMicro components on the ASUS router, all User Scripts, all USB services, etc., turn it into a straight routing device and test again. You purchased the ASUS router to be able to do more things on it, not available in ISP router, I guess.

Here are some recent VPN speedtest results on my 86U connected to PIA using AES-128-GCM.

upload_2020-3-9_15-19-4.png