What's new

Solved Speed test

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

BeachGuy

Regular Contributor
I have the GT-AX6000 with latest Merlin fw. I have Spectrum 3.1 DOCSIS 500mbps connection. When I run speedtest in router (game acceleration: internet speed) and Windows speedtest.net directly connected to the modem (ethernet direct connection) I get about 560mbps on both but when I run Windows connected to router I get about 350mbps (ethernet direct connection). I don't know what changed, I used to get around 570mbps through router. I've tried Brave browser and Edge thinking it might be the browser. I've also reset winsock, netsh etc. I'm thinking somehow the router is throttling? Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

Last edited:
I was about to say check to make sure HW acceleration is enabled via the Tools tab but if the router's speed test is doing full speed that would seem to indicate that HW acceleration is enabled. Next I'd be looking at QoS. If it's on turn it off for testing purposes. Make sure Bandwidth Limiter is not enabled while you're there.

Just as an aside and for my info, why do I find vastly different speed test results from different websites (speedtest.net, fast.com etc.)? speedtest.net comes closest to what my ISP (spectrum) says I should have but none of the others do. Also when I test speedtest.net it selects the nearest sever+3 others. If I change to a different server in a similar location the speed is way less. They report anywhere from 25mbps to 260mbps (same with other sites). I know it may be the distance and single thread vs multi thread too. Is there a preferred site to test? BTW, I am on fast PC ethernet connection. Thanks

Last edited:
No preferred test site.

Test them all. Get a 'feel' for what is 'good' for your connection, on each. Imperfect test. Use it only as a vague guideline, at best.

I've seen different sites give worse numbers to wired computers than the same computer using WiFi.

Shows you how much to 'trust' them.

Used with a large grain of salt, over time, they can be useful. But they don't (automatically) indicate anything is wrong either.

No preferred test site.

Test them all. Get a 'feel' for what is 'good' for your connection, on each. Imperfect test. Use it only as a vague guideline, at best.

I've seen different sites give worse numbers to wired computers than the same computer using WiFi.

Shows you how much to 'trust' them.

Used with a large grain of salt, over time, they can be useful. But they don't (automatically) indicate anything is wrong either.

Thanks. So how do I know my ISP is giving me the speed I'm paying for?

How far below your paid-for speeds are your best tests? Most ISPs state 'up-to' speeds. Nothing is guaranteed.

How far below your paid-for speeds are your best tests? Most ISPs state 'up-to' speeds. Nothing is guaranteed.

When I run on speedtest.net which is server+3 I get ~560mbps and I'm paying for 500mbps. My ISP says they add some as a buffer. This is what I've always used and how I caught the above error (not reinitializing settings) but I'm wondering if they're fooling me as the other sites (and even that site with 1 server) show vastly different results.

Unless your ISP owns speedtest.net, how are they fooling you?

The fastest speedtest results you get mean you connected to the fastest and usually, closest server to your location.

Don't overthink this. Enjoy the speeds and hope your ISP isn't throttling your connection when 'peak demand times' are in effect or other normal use cases are invoked (on your end or your neighbors, who might be sharing a single connection along with you to your ISP).

What technology does your ISP offer? Cable modem, ONT/FTTH? Or something else?

Unless your ISP owns speedtest.net, how are they fooling you?

The fastest speedtest results you get mean you connected to the fastest and usually, closest server to your location.

Don't overthink this. Enjoy the speeds and hope your ISP isn't throttling your connection when 'peak demand times' are in effect or other normal use cases are invoked (on your end or your neighbors, who might be sharing a single connection along with you to your ISP).

What technology does your ISP offer? Cable modem, ONT/FTTH? Or something else?

Ok thanks, everything seems fine enough. I'm on cable modem but thinking about switching to Frontier fiber 1gbps.

Yes, cable modem-based ISPs have fast maximum download speeds, but 'shape' them to try to keep their customers (on the same end node) happy. After all, they're just reusing 50-year-old+ 240p analog/tube TV cables, for the internet, today.

FTTH w/ONT is effectively a one-to-one connection between you and your ISP. While some may still throttle/shape your speeds depending on traffic/times, they usually have enough backhaul to give you what you pay for 99.999% of the time.

What is even better is that the FTTH connection is an order of magnitude or better less latency, and also with symmetrical up/down performance. That is what is appreciated almost more than mere 'top' download speeds, with variable latency and comparatively horrendous uploads.

Yes, cable modem-based ISPs have fast maximum download speeds, but 'shape' them to try to keep their customers (on the same end node) happy. After all, they're just reusing 50-year-old+ 240p analog/tube TV cables, for the internet, today.

FTTH w/ONT is effectively a one-to-one connection between you and your ISP. While some may still throttle/shape your speeds depending on traffic/times, they usually have enough backhaul to give you what you pay for 99.999% of the time.

What is even better is that the FTTH connection is an order of magnitude or better less latency, and also with symmetrical up/down performance. That is what is appreciated almost more than mere 'top' download speeds, with variable latency and comparatively horrendous uploads.

Thank you very much for your always informative comments.