What's new

Maximum wireless speed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Vicu

New Around Here
Hello,

I am new to this forum so excuse me if i make any mistake.

I am interested to know whats the best/maximum wireless connection/speed that i can get out of a 500 MBp/s bandwith connection. I am interested in best case scenario when you are sitting near the router.

I am using a Late 2011 mbp that has a Broadcom BCM4331 chip. As far as i know it has a 450 mbps on 5 ghz connection.

Thank you very much!

I have the new AC 5th Gen Time capsule. I am getting this speeds when i am near the router: 180 Mbps on the 5Ghz and 130 Mbps on the 2.4Ghz.

Wanted to know if any other router out there maybe the r7000 or an Asus can do alot better, like whats the maximum wifi speed i can reach with the best comercial router.

Thank you very much!

Those are link rates that you are seeing, not speeds.

The maximum link rate depends on the combination of router and client class.
Maximum link rate now is 1300 Mbps for AC1750 class products.

Actual maximum throughput for those products can be seen here.

Hey thank you again for your fast reply.

On the link you gave me it says 269 Mbps but i am only getting 180, you know why ? i am doing smthing wrong or this is the maximum i can expect?

I am getting 867 Mbps link speed (1 Gbps on the Network Utility) with EA6900 (AC1900) Router with Macbook Air 2013.

This is just the theoretical maximum, bottlenecked by my Macbook Air's internal WiFi antennas, which can only handle 2 streams at 433 Mbps each. With a AC1900 Router, maximum theoretical is 1.9 Gbps, but I don't know of any hardware configurations that can achieve that just yet.

Of course, actual file transfer speeds don't really come close to the theoretical speeds.

Not quite.

While it is called an "AC" 1900 router ... the "1900" part is really just advertising spoof.

These routers support 2 bands ... 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz.

The 2.4 Ghz band can support a maximum of 600 Mbps.

The 5Ghz band can support a maximum of 1300 Mbps.

1300 + 600 = 1900

Not quite.

While it is called an "AC" 1900 router ... the "1900" part is really just advertising spoof.

These routers support 2 bands ... 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz.

The 2.4 Ghz band can support a maximum of 600 Mbps.

The 5Ghz band can support a maximum of 1300 Mbps.

1300 + 600 = 1900

Theoretical maximum is 1900. YMMV.

WiFi products talk about Megabits per second. Mbps.
But this is always in the 'raw' bit rate over the air.
Counting overhead in 802.11 and IP, the net yield is about 60% of the connection speed. Less if you have interference or competition for air time with neighbors' WiFi that's heavily used.

Analogy: Engine horsepower vs. power delivered to dynamometer.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!