What's new

Merlin and Access Point

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

TexasDave

Occasional Visitor
I have an old ASUS RT-AC68U that was running Merlin for years.

I retired it and replaced it with a RT-AC86U.

I now want to use the old RT-AC68U as an access point.

Two questions:

1) I cannot seem to get into the old RT-AC68U to change it into an Access Point. I thought I could just plug an eithernet cable into my laptop and plug the other end into the Ethernet / LAN Ports and then access via 192.168.1.1? What am I doing wrong? Or is there a better way to get in?

Worried as the old router probably has similar or exact settings as the new one and maybe this is it?

2) When I eventually get in - Does an Access Point have to be directly connected to the Main Router? That is, does the cable have to go directly to the Main Router? Or can the Access Point be connected anywhere on the LAN? Off a switch? So it is not directly connected cable-to-cable but the AP and Main Router are on the same LAN?

Thanks!

I recently turned my old 68U into an AiMesh node, but as I hadn't used it for a few years and knowing it had the same SSIDs as the 86U that replaced it, I factory reset the 68U via its reset button first, before connecting to it via Ethernet to update its firmware.

I always disable my laptop's wireless adapter before connecting it via Ethernet and I use a static IP on the wired adapter.

@MarkyPancake - I did the same and I am in - Thanks!!

My understanding is to use the smae SSIDs but use different channels - yes?

Thanks!

I don't have any experience of running a second router as an access point, so can't help with that side of it I'm afraid. From what I understand, the mesh setup is much more simplistic and you don't have any control over the node settings like a router running as an AP.

You should be able to do what you are attempting. Try: resetting the 68U (long press the reset button on the back), then make sure that your laptop Ethernet is up/on. Once you can get in, then you should be able to set it as an AP.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!