What's new

Missing modules

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

glsmith86

Occasional Visitor
Hello Everybody!

In my system some modules missing. I have a Asus RT-AX56U with 4.1.52 Linux kernel, Merlin version: 3004.388.6_0

Missing modules:

ip_tunnel
tunnel(4)
xfrm4_mode_tunnel

Can somebody help for me?

The reason is Strongswan. It can't start normally without this modules.
If the modified firmware used on these routers, either Asus firmware or Asus-Merlin or it's forks, are missing modules you need then you may have to resort to compiling your own version of the firmware with those modules included. Note that including additional modules may potentially "break" things elsewhere in the custom router firmware. For compiling Asus-Merlin firmware see the following link:
https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin.ng/wiki#development
Warning from that development link on compiling your own firmware:
HERE BE DRAGONS! There are risks when compiling your own firmware. You do so at your own risk, and your compiled firmware cannot be supported by the firmware author should something go wrong. You should be aware and familiar with the Asus recovery utilities and how to access and flash firmware from recovery mode. Your firmware may not build, it may not flash, it may flash but cause the router but not boot, it may flash and boot but work incorrectly or in unexpected ways, your computer may spontaneously combust, you may spontaneously combust, or the world may end.

Hello Everybody!

In my system some modules missing. I have a Asus RT-AX56U with 4.1.52 Linux kernel, Merlin version: 3004.388.6_0

Missing modules:

ip_tunnel
tunnel(4)
xfrm4_mode_tunnel

Can somebody help for me?
These kernel features are already enabled, they are simply compiled built in the kernel rather than as external modules.

Code:
merlin@ubuntu-dev:~/amng.ax56/release/src-rt-5.02axhnd.675x/kernel/linux-4.1$ cat .config | grep IP_TUNNEL
CONFIG_NET_IP_TUNNEL=y
# CONFIG_NET_FOU_IP_TUNNELS is not set

Strongswan works fine, people have been using it for years now.