What's new

MoCA 2.0 Actiontech ECB6000

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

changed back to the ecb6200s, updated the firmware, has been stable for the past 3 days, will check speed after a week to compare as well

certainly much better now, nice that the management interface is available as well

now 3 weeks out with the updated ecb6200s without a reset

still at 78MB/s for windows file transfer (server to HTPC), so no significant slowdown for me so far

now 3 weeks out with the updated ecb6200s without a reset

still at 78MB/s for windows file transfer (server to HTPC), so no significant slowdown for me so far

Same here, I bought a set almost two weeks ago and updated them out of the box. No slowdown issues so far.

I recently picked up some ECB6000's because the Asus Chromebox running OpenELEC/Kodi in my master bedroom was sucking while playing high bit rate MKVs on wireless N (buffering from time to time) so I decided to finally buy some MoCA adapters. At first, I was worried that maybe I should have sprung for the ECB6200's but glad I didn't because the 6000's are MORE than adequate for my needs. Kodi keeps a constant buffer and no more buffering! I hooked my laptop to the network cable in the master bedroom and doing speed tests, I was able to max out my 110/15 meg service. I streamed several high bit rate MKV and was fast forwarding/rewinding with no issues.

FYI, my router/ethernet switch is in the basement and there's a co-ax line that disappears up behind a wall that goes 2 floors up into the bedroom. The co-ax that runs from the switch to the other side of the basement is RG6 and up behind the wall, RG5.

Just posting this in case somebody is wondering if 6000's are up to the task of streaming high def. stuff. If anyone is interested, I can do a xfer from my Windows HTPC and report back the raw transfer speed.

Hoping someone here can help me out.

In August I got a pair of ECB6000's to replace my 2500's. One is in my bedroom that connects to my 8 port giga switch, iMac, Apple TV and Samsung TV while the second is in the living room hooked up to a 8 port giga switch PS4. Xbox, apple TV, Panasonic TV. The problem is from time to time (can be from a few hours to a few days) the ECB6000 would not transmit any data even though all the lights look active. If I unplug my ethernet it looks like the computer can't pick up a valid IP address either. Only way to resolve is to power down and then up.

I contacted Actiontec and they issues an RMA but the new one had the same issue. I tried swapping locations as well but when I did I had the same result. Its something to do with something in my bedroom setup. My 2500 had no such issue. I am in contact with Actiontec support but it has been very helpful. Any clues whats going on?

Thanks in advance!

Hoping someone here can help me out.

In August I got a pair of ECB6000's to replace my 2500's. One is in my bedroom that connects to my 8 port giga switch, iMac, Apple TV and Samsung TV while the second is in the living room hooked up to a 8 port giga switch PS4. Xbox, apple TV, Panasonic TV. The problem is from time to time (can be from a few hours to a few days) the ECB6000 would not transmit any data even though all the lights look active. If I unplug my ethernet it looks like the computer can't pick up a valid IP address either. Only way to resolve is to power down and then up.

I contacted Actiontec and they issues an RMA but the new one had the same issue. I tried swapping locations as well but when I did I had the same result. Its something to do with something in my bedroom setup. My 2500 had no such issue. I am in contact with Actiontec support but it has been very helpful. Any clues whats going on?

Thanks in advance!
Hi,
You don't say what your connection is to the router, but I can almost bet that one or both of your switches are the "green" energy saving type that turn off ports that when they have not been used for a time. In theory, these switches "should" power back up when they sense activity, but I have seen posts about problems with various devices almost always after a period of inactivity. That is one guess.
Other similar issues are related to the router not seeming to "see" some devices after a period of inactivity and fail to assign an IP. One possible work around is to go into your router and or device and set a fixed/ static IP for each of these devices and see if this problem goes away.
Another possible fix is to try a different brand / non-green switch and see if that resolves the issue. Good luck

Hi,
You don't say what your connection is to the router, but I can almost bet that one or both of your switches are the "green" energy saving type that turn off ports that when they have not been used for a time. In theory, these switches "should" power back up when they sense activity, but I have seen posts about problems with various devices almost always after a period of inactivity. That is one guess.
Other similar issues are related to the router not seeming to "see" some devices after a period of inactivity and fail to assign an IP. One possible work around is to go into your router and or device and set a fixed/ static IP for each of these devices and see if this problem goes away.
Another possible fix is to try a different brand / non-green switch and see if that resolves the issue. Good luck

Thanks for the reply Friendly. My router is a Verizon MoCA 2 router. It's connected out to my network via coax. Everything I have connected to it is via ECB6000's or wifi.

The strange part is when I had the 2500's with the same equipment everything was fine.

I am doing a test of plugging my iMac directly into the 6000 and so far so good but it's just been a day. Thanks for the advice that it may be the switch.

Also I am not sure if it's to do with inactivity because the problem would occur when I am doing activities as well.

My living room location has the same brand switch and no issues there.

My next step is put in a different switch if my current test works.

Thanks again.

I just received six ECB6200 units from Actiontec's online store yesterday, as they came back in stock on Monday and I live in the same city that they shipped from :) Installed five of them last night. They had the updated firmware already installed.

Initial results are good to very good. I have a three story townhouse with coax in every room, but arranged in one long daisy chain. Between far ends of the coax run I am seeing 30 MB/s in one direction and 85 MB/s in the other doing file transfers from Windows. From the midpoint of the run, I see 90MB/s in one direction and 110 MB/s in the other (saw 966 Mbit/sec transfer rates in the Task Manager!). I am comparing this to the DirecTV DECA setup I used to have, which topped out at about 90 Mbit/sec.

Still have to see if I can improve the asymmetric data rates at the endpoints, perhaps by putting in better splitters in the daisy chain or seeing if I can remove a couple unused ones in the walls. Worst case, I could split the daisy chain in the middle and put ECB6200s on each half at the midpoint - combining the two isolated MoCA 2.0 networks with a gigabit switch.

Thanks for the reply Friendly. My router is a Verizon MoCA 2 router. It's connected out to my network via coax. Everything I have connected to it is via ECB6000's or wifi.

The strange part is when I had the 2500's with the same equipment everything was fine.

I am doing a test of plugging my iMac directly into the 6000 and so far so good but it's just been a day. Thanks for the advice that it may be the switch.

Also I am not sure if it's to do with inactivity because the problem would occur when I am doing activities as well.

My living room location has the same brand switch and no issues there.

My next step is put in a different switch if my current test works.

Thanks again.

A quick update. I seem to have isolate the issue to one device on the network. If my Samsung tv is wired into the switch the issue occurs. If I leave it out everything is fine. I have tried this with a different switch and the same issue happened. This wasn't happening with my ECB 2500.

I just received six ECB6200 units from Actiontec's online store yesterday, as they came back in stock on Monday and I live in the same city that they shipped from :) Installed five of them last night. They had the updated firmware already installed.

Initial results are good to very good. I have a three story townhouse with coax in every room, but arranged in one long daisy chain. Between far ends of the coax run I am seeing 30 MB/s in one direction and 85 MB/s in the other doing file transfers from Windows. From the midpoint of the run, I see 90MB/s in one direction and 110 MB/s in the other (saw 966 Mbit/sec transfer rates in the Task Manager!). I am comparing this to the DirecTV DECA setup I used to have, which topped out at about 90 Mbit/sec.

Still have to see if I can improve the asymmetric data rates at the endpoints, perhaps by putting in better splitters in the daisy chain or seeing if I can remove a couple unused ones in the walls. Worst case, I could split the daisy chain in the middle and put ECB6200s on each half at the midpoint - combining the two isolated MoCA 2.0 networks with a gigabit switch.

Are all of the "MB" megabytes/ There's one "Mbps" in the discussion.

It's all correct. File transfer rates are shown in MB/s, while network rates are shown in Mbit/s.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

With the inactivity in this thread lately, should I assume that no news is good news? Seems that the latest firmware had resolved most people's problems with the ECB6200s. I had been holding off my purchase previously because of the problems reported here. Perhaps it's time for me to reconsider them and add them to my Christmas shopping list :)

Currently still rocking the old Netgear MCAB1001 kit.

Did you happen to note the firmware version? The updated version that many of the other people in the thread are running is 2.11.1.10.6200.1. Hopefully that's still the latest version. I checked the Actiontec website and they still haven't made an update available to download. We only got an updated version because someone received it from an Actiontec tech and then made it available to the rest of us.

Bought a pair of ECB6200 from B&H Photo (ECB6200K02 kit). They had the 2.11.1.10.6200.1 firmware installed straight out of the box.

Hadn't seen it mentioned in here: the STB/TV out port on the ECB6200 supports bi-directional traffic so you can connect a cable modem or other two way cable TV device to it without issue.

Tested with iperf3 immediately after the install, seeing ~950Mbit/s throughput (UDP) both directions. I'll retest again after the bridges have been online for a while.

I think MoCA boxes should/do all have loop-through of the RF. Since often the MoCA box leads to a TV.

I bought 4 ECB6200 from Provantage (2 ECB6200K02 kits) and they had the 2.11.1.10.6200.1 firmware installed on them out of the box as well. I'm pleased with the performance, and they seem to be stable so far.

My parents are getting me a 2 pack of ECB6200 for Christmas.

I have seen conflicting reports about whether they will be full speed between each other when there are ECB2500 in the system. Any definitive reports on this yet?

I have seen conflicting reports about whether they will be full speed between each other when there are ECB2500 in the system. Any definitive reports on this yet?

I have 2x ECB6200 and 1x ECB2500 and the ECB6200s talk to each other at 800-900 Mbps, measured by iperf. Definitely need the updated firmware though.

I received a pair of these from the Actiontec store last week.
The already had the 2.11.1.10.6200.1 firmware installed.
However this morning I noticed the speed was less than 30 megabits Iperf tradeoff.
Power cycle restored speed to 800+ megabits,

I posted earlier in this very thread that mine are full speed with an ECB2500C also connected.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!