What's new

MoCA questions / newbie

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Mark070

Regular Contributor
Hey Guys,

I have Coax cables running to every room in the house, and just realized that I could use MoCA devices to run Ethernet to those rooms, and lessen the load on my Wifi. Given that, I have some (N00b) questions for anyone interested in teaching me a few things about the technology.

Given a product such as this:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B013J7O3X0/?tag=snbforums-20
(ActionTec MoCA devices)

Questions:
  • I have cable coming into my house, splitter in the garage, but in my computer room the cable goes directly into my cable modem. In order to use MoCA would I put the MoCA device in front of the Cable Modem? Or would I use a splitter in the computer room to split the cable - one end going into cable modem, the other end going into the MoCA device (and also run an ethernet cable from device to Switch
  • Could I put MoCA device in the other rooms, resulting in a 1 to many configuration or is it strictly one end to the other end.
  • Lastly, any MoCA devices you would recommend? My internet speed is 200 down 10 up. I was leaning towards the above for speed as I would like to run gb internally. Open to other options
Thanks!

1) sketch a map of all of the cable, devices, splitters, etc already connected together. It will help us and you figure out what to do.
Who is the cable co providing internet ?, tv ?, phone ?
What is the model number of the cable modem and router ?

2) either way can work. If there is a lot of ethernet traffic on one leg that can use the full moca 2 bandwidth, you might make that a dedicated pair of modems rather than share the total bandwidth of moca 2 among all modems. Most can get by with sharing.

3) use moca 2 bonded for highest throughput. There are several other brands available now. They are listed in the moca threads. I have been using the Actiontecs as they were available first.

3) use moca 2 bonded for highest throughput. There are several other brands available now. They are listed in the moca threads. I have been using the Actiontecs as they were available first.
I haven't been following for a month+, so am wondering why the goCoax MoCA 2.5 adapters wouldn't be the best solution (in terms of throughput; and value).

edit: p.s. Is it just that they can't seem to keep them in stock?!? (link)

I haven't been following for a month+, so am wondering why the goCoax MoCA 2.5 adapters wouldn't be the best solution (in terms of throughput; and value).

edit: p.s. Is it just that they can't seem to keep them in stock?!? (link)

Agreed - I've used both Actiontec bonded 2.0 and goCoax 2.5 adapters, and the goCoax have been very stable, practically the same as full-duplex gigabit Ethernet. Maybe I should sell my Actiontecs... :)

Hey guys, sorry for the delay on my response. I have attached a picture as well, showing the (rather simple) list of devices in play.

Some details:
I live in a townhome. I am a corner building, and share two walls. When I pull up my Wifi Analyzer app (on the phone) and look around, there are no less than 24 broadcasting ssid's at any one point. My wifi is congested across all channels. My townhouse is two floors, and the modem/router is located in the upstairs computer room (see drawing). The problem is getting internet downstairs to the master living room where I have a Nvidia Shield and my TV/Stereo, etc. The town home is < 2000 sqft, so the R7800 (or the Orbi as an AP without satellite) wifi signal can reach - but once in awhile I need to reset the wifi.

Provider: Charter Communications (200 Down, 10 up)
Cable Modem: Netgear CM600
Router: EdgeRouter 4

I checked with an electrician, and it would be about $3000 to run Ethernet downstairs, which is more than I would like to pay. So, my next thought is to use the existing coax lines and maybe give MoCA a chance.

I would like an adapter in the main bedroom (where the internet comes in), in the master bedroom (we have a tv there), and in the Living room. Three rooms total.

The Living Room would need a switch coming off the adapter as there are multiple devices needing a signal.

Questions:
  1. Do I need a terminator between the MoCA Adapter and the cable modem? I assume I need one where the cable comes into the house.
  2. Is the right option? or do I leave well enough alone
Thanks

Attachments

• moca layout.png
    moca layout.png
    24.3 KB · Views: 217
One thing you don't mention is if you can get by with a 100Mbps or want to strive for a 1000Mbps link rate. (400 - 600 Mbps is probably the best you can do with current MOCA technology.)

If all you want to do is stream video on TVs from the Internet then a potential 100Mbps connection will more than do the trick. If you want to backup PCs to a NAS then a faster connection would be beneficial.

To make MOCA work you will need splitters that can handle the MOCA signal and pass it. You will also need to install a MOCA filter to prevent your MOCA signals to back feeding the entire building.

With MOCA it either works really well or very poorly. Buy your adapters from someplace you can return them without to much of a hassle.

The most intense rate would be ... streaming from YouTube TV, etc. I am pretty sure that all falls well below the 100Mbps rate you mentioned.

So, where the Coax comes into the house, that splitter ... replace that with a splitter (5/6 way, I forget) with a decent MOCA capable splitter. Then another one (3 way - 1 in, 2 out) where the line goes into the modem (currently).

I know I need a MOCA filter where the lines comes into the house, but would I need one sitting in front of the cable modem?

Any suggestions on which ones (MOCA adapter)?

Thanks guys!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!