What's new

Modem recommendation for 300 Mbps & Netgear r7800

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

OMGponies

Occasional Visitor
Is there a recommended modem for my Netgear R7800? I get 300/20 Mbps from Grande in Austin. They recommend a 16x4 DOCSIS 3.0 (minimum) or a 24x8 DOCSIS 3.0 (best performance modem):

https://mygrande.com/modems

I care more about quality of connection/low latency than higher bandwidth, and I'm currently using a modem leased from them with a Puma6 chipset, so I don't have anything good to compare to.

Edit:
I work a lot from home so I'm always on a VPN, and I have frequent video calls. I'm an engineer so I don't mind detailed recommendations. Thanks.

Last edited:
Is there a recommended modem for my Netgear R7800? I get 300/20 Mbps from Grande in Austin. They recommend a 16x4 DOCSIS 3.0 (minimum) or a 24x8 DOCSIS 3.0 (best performance modem):

https://mygrande.com/modems

I care more about quality of connection/low latency than higher bandwidth, and I'm currently using a modem leased from them with a Puma6 chipset, so I don't have anything good to compare to.

Edit:
I work a lot from home so I'm always on a VPN, and I have frequent video calls. I'm an engineer so I don't mind detailed recommendations. Thanks.

NetGear CM600 gets a lot of good reviews on my ISPs page on DSLReports. Its non-PUMA ..24x4 3.0.
I have the Aris 6183 ..its a 16x4..its been solid but as you go up in speed you want more channels.

I'm considering the 6183 and CM600. I see that they have identical specs (memory, processor, etc) other than the channels. I understand that "more channels are better" and since my ISP recommends a 24x8, that suggests I get the CN600. Are the channels really that important? Doesn't active queue management on the 6183 count for anything?

6190 has the puma chip. That is what my ISP gives everyone.
If I had the funds Id try the SB8200 ..since my ISP may go to 3.1 in the future..very pricey though.
Definitely get as many channels as your ISP supports.

If I had the funds Id try the SB8200 ..since my ISP may go to 3.1 in the future..very pricey though.

I read a good explanation of channels elsewhere. I considered the 8200 but the CM600 looks like the one I'll get. I'd still like to know how much of a factor active queue management is, though I don't think any of the DOCSIS 3.0 modems on the market support it yet. The DOCSIS 3.0 spec has been amended to recommend it: https://www.cablelabs.com/how-docsis-3-1-reduces-latency-with-active-queue-management/

I am sure you are aware but....If your isp supports the Netgear CM 1000 the CM 1000 is backwards compatible with DOCSIS3.0 & has AQM.

I have read of some getting the CM1000 to work with different isp's even though the CM1000 is NOT currently supported by their isp.

Of course the issue is not being able to update the CM 1000 Firmware as these updates are pushed through your isp.

I assume the issues with this chipset can't be fixed with a firmware update? This modem has dropped in price, maybe a bug in the chip is the reason.

Yeah the 6190s are cheap but I do not think its worth dealing with the puma chip...one will always suspect or be worried it's affecting things.. from what i read firmware helps but does not get rid of the issue.. personally I dont understand why they are still selling modems with that chipset.

I will likely get the CM600. My question on active queue management belongs in a different thread. I'll also say for the record that my current ISP provided modem has the puma 6 chip and drops my signal daily.

New Motorola modems seem to have a much better rep than Arris.

FWIW - 300Mbit down is still within reach of the well regarded SB-6183 Moto modem....

It's an older DOCSIS 3.0 device, 16*4, but it's stable and much better than the SB-6190...

Over time, it's good... looking out from a LAN host to the WAN...

Screen Shot 2018-12-02 at 7.22.00 PM.png

what about motorola sb6141? with all this talk thinking maybe putting it into service to "replace" my sb6190. 100/10 cable.

what about motorola sb6141? with all this talk thinking maybe putting it into service to "replace" my sb6190. 100/10 cable.

SB6141 is old-school - but still DOCSIS 3.0 and a good device...

Screen Shot 2018-12-02 at 7.43.43 PM.png