What's new

N66u Speed Limit

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

shawnpear

Occasional Visitor
Hey guys,

Just upgraded my plan from 100mbps to 500mbps.

Been using my N66u ever since i was on my 100mbps plan and have had no issues hitting 100mbps on both WiFi and LAN.

Now my LAN is able to hit 500mbps, but my WiFi is limited to 120mbps on speedtests.
The cable connecting to my N66u is a Cat5e, so no problems there.

I'm connected to my 5ghz network, 40mhz, channel set to least crowded. Using WPA2-AEK
My network adapter is a Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265
On the latest stable merlin which is 380.65_2 and i factory reset just for good measure.
QoS is off, HW accelration is On.

Could anyone help me figure out why i cant hit higher WiFi speeds?
Tried on my Oneplus 3T as well as my other laptops which have "lousier" network adapters.

THANKS IN ADVANCE.

doubt you will hit that speed with that router, imho its time you upgraded to a mode that you can take advantage your wifi and the wan speeds.

doubt you will hit that speed with that router, imho its time you upgraded to a mode that you can take advantage your wifi and the wan speeds.
Really?
Then is around 120 the max speed the n66u can achieve on 5ghz?
That's relatively sad..

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3010 using Tapatalk

well if your wan speed is 500mbit might get up to 250 at beast and its only N standard s no advantage of your nice AC cards.

cause you are talking about the RT-N66U and not the RT-AC66U, right ?

well if your wan speed is 500mbit might get up to 250 at beast and its only N standard s no advantage of your nice AC cards.

cause you are talking about the RT-N66U and not the RT-AC66U, right ?
Yep. N66u
So then why can't my speedtests go anywhere above 120?

old router, old cpu

the operative word is old stuff :)

i loved my old RT-N55U but it had to go

old router, old cpu

the operative word is old stuff :)

i loved my old RT-N55U but it had to go
Hahaha, you did say it say go up to 250 at best.
Honestly, if it went up to more than 200, I'll be satisfied.
But somehow it feels like I didn't upgrade my plan at all and I'm still getting my old speeds.

So I just wanna see if there's anything wrong with the router settings.

well thats all dependent on settings my guess is that they have most features turned off, but in all honesty if i was you i would have upgraded to a new router that can handle that traffic its like having a tractor in traffic :D

but if you insist on trying anyways then turn off anything that you dont need giving the cpu more power to handle the traffic

well thats all dependent on settings my guess is that they have most features turned off, but in all honesty if i was you i would have upgraded to a new router that can handle that traffic its like having a tractor in traffic :D

but if you insist on trying anyways then turn off anything that you dont need giving the cpu more power to handle the traffic

Yeah totally get your point about upgrading.
I dont have any features on though, not really sure what can be causing it that's why i asked here.

Simple said: Home routers are not made for above ~300 Mbit internet connections. :eek:

Same topic currently discussed here and many, many other threads in the forum! :rolleyes:

Simple said: Home routers are not made for above ~300 Mbit internet connections. :eek:

Same topic currently discussed here and many, many other threads in the forum! :rolleyes:

Once again, thanks for the reply.
But i'm not even getting anywhere near 300 Mbit.
So i was hoping someone can help me troubleshoot the issue.

Where did you pull that from? Every test thiggins has done on WAN -> LAN and reverse on Gbps routers shows they can reach close to Gbps speeds, providing you don't test the port forwarding

Yeah totally get your point about upgrading.
I dont have any features on though, not really sure what can be causing it that's why i asked here.

If you do end up upgrading, here's some things for you to consider:

Budget: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-wireless-ac-dual-band-wi-fi-router-black/5091000.p?skuId=5091000 (This model is sold exclusively at Best Buy)
Top of the lines: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-ac3100-dual-band-wi-fi-router-black/4465000.p?skuId=4465000
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-ac...-gigabit-router-black/5008900.p?skuId=5008900

There is also an 8 port version of the AC3100, called the AC88U if you're interested: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B016EWKQAQ/?tag=snbforums-20

Hope that helps you get the most out of your wired and wireless devices.

If you do end up upgrading, here's some things for you to consider:

Budget: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-wireless-ac-dual-band-wi-fi-router-black/5091000.p?skuId=5091000 (This model is sold exclusively at Best Buy)
Top of the lines: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-ac3100-dual-band-wi-fi-router-black/4465000.p?skuId=4465000
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-ac...-gigabit-router-black/5008900.p?skuId=5008900

There is also an 8 port version of the AC3100, called the AC88U if you're interested: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B016EWKQAQ/?tag=snbforums-20

Hope that helps you get the most out of your wired and wireless devices.

Again, gotta thank you guys for the replies.

But i'm not really looking to upgrade just yet, wanna find out why my n66u wifi speeds are "capped" somehow.

It has been a bit since I used my N66 as an AP so I am attempting to go off of memory here....I am pretty sure I was able to get close to the 200Mbps mark on 5GHz on my N66 when testing from a laptop....I think. Keep in mind, I was using mine only as an AP, not as a router.

My only remaining N66U is being used as a bridge which I just checked and am getting 216Mbps down and 233Mbps up via Google's speedtest.

What are your reported link rates? Define "least crowded" on the channel comment? As in there are lots of other SSIDs seen and this one has the last amount? Or there is nothing else showing up nearby on this channel?

using QOS ? AIProtection? or anything else from Webui?

none at all :'(
It has been a bit since I used my N66 as an AP so I am attempting to go off of memory here....I am pretty sure I was able to get close to the 200Mbps mark on 5GHz on my N66 when testing from a laptop....I think. Keep in mind, I was using mine only as an AP, not as a router.

My only remaining N66U is being used as a bridge which I just checked and am getting 216Mbps down and 233Mbps up via Google's speedtest.

What are your reported link rates? Define "least crowded" on the channel comment? As in there are lots of other SSIDs seen and this one has the last amount? Or there is nothing else showing up nearby on this channel?

Hmm.. i just did some analyzing again, previously i was only 1 of 2 5ghz networks.
Changed to a different channel and i'm all alone now.
Able to hit barely 200mbps.
But yeah, is that the best the n66u can go?

Base your decision not only on the router capabilities, but also on the client capabilities. My N66U being used as a bridge is actually slower since I upgraded to an AC capable AP. The N66U is a 3x3 N device while my APs (UniFi UAP-AC-LR) are 2x2 AC devices. Therefore my N66U now can only link at 300Mbps instead of the previous 450Mbps when I was using a 2nd N66U as my AP.

Pretty sure your laptop WiFi is a 2x2 AC device, so your speeds will possibly be in the 300-400Mbps range assuming fairly clean airspace. This is roughly where my laptop with a 2x2 AC card hits most days when fairly close to my AP.