What's new

NAT Loopback missing - RT-AC86U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

xantiux

Occasional Visitor
I am unable to access my home cloud server via the ddns address when on my home network.
It works fine from work or via another external connection, such as the cellphone (not connected to wifi).

I've done some reading and this seems to be related to something called loopback, but I cannot find the setting within the router setting page.

Any ideas?

6ciR2BH

Attachments

• RT-AC86U.PNG
    RT-AC86U.PNG
    408.1 KB · Views: 3,172
The control for Nat Loopback was recently removed and is now always on.

Interesting.
In that case, it must not be working for some reason.

Any thoughts on how this may be resolved?
I'd really like to access my NextCloud server via the external ip when I'm on the local network.

I'm having the same problem. I don't mind that the feature to turn NAT loopback on or off is removed, but how do I set it to a specific IP? I assume that feature should still be available.

NAT loopbacks aren't something that need to be configured. The default design simply masquerades connections sent to your WAN IP, there's nothing requiring configuration.

That's odd. Because I can't get mine to work. I'm having the exact same problem as OP, with an Asus RT-AC87U

That's odd. Because I can't get mine to work. I'm having the exact same problem as OP, with an Asus RT-AC87U

Try disabling hardware acceleration on the LAN -> Switch page.

I don't see the option to enable/disable hardware acceleration on the RT-AC86U.
The only option I see under LAN > Switch Control is "Enable Jumbo Frame". I tried having it enabled and disabled, but it doesn't change the fact that I cannot access my WAN ip from within the LAN.

au7a4y.png

I don't see the option to enable/disable hardware acceleration on the RT-AC86U.
The only option I see under LAN > Switch Control is "Enable Jumbo Frame". I tried having it enabled and disabled, but it doesn't change the fact that I cannot access my WAN ip from within the LAN.

au7a4y.png

You are missing settings .

Which would suggest you have a problem caused by incorrectly upgrading the firmware , ie. you didn't reboot/reset when required.

Would also possibly explain your other problems.

I would suggest a fresh install and reset.

You are missing settings .

Which would suggest you have a problem caused by incorrectly upgrading the firmware , ie. you didn't reboot/reset when required.

Would also possibly explain your other problems.

I would suggest a fresh install and reset.

My 86Us in AiMesh have no GUI hardware acceleration setting. These units have been upgraded/reset/rebooted ad nauseam. I would not bother re-installing anything... it ain't missing.

OE

The RT-AC86U does not offer a setting to enable/disable its hardware acceleration, for some unknown reason.

Thanks OzarkEdge, Merlin. I was starting to worry for a bit, as I've already as part of setting up AiMesh.

Does anybody have any other ideas what I can try, so I can access my WAN ip from within the LAN?

as part of setting up AiMesh.

Maybe AiMesh is what's causing a problem here, especially if you are connected to a node.

Maybe AiMesh is what's causing a problem here, especially if you are connected to a node.
Im connected directly to the main router, via lan cable. I did try connecting via a node, and also tried wirelessly as well. Same behaviour though .

Picked up a new Asus RT-AC86U, and tested this while it was a standalone router (not AiMesh).
The problem is still persistent, so I doubt that the AiMesh is the culprit.

So is NAT loopback not possible with this router?
Does anyone have any suggestions they can think of?
Should I reach out to Asus support?