What's new

Need advice for a new router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

OBENZ

Regular Contributor
Hello, been reading here for some time but decided to join in today.
I have a quite weird situation which i'll try to explain:
I have a belkin router DB750, which i bought 6 years ago, i have no complains except for the fact that i added many devices and i feel like it's reaching its limit when transferring files on the network while streaming.

My setup is as follows:
- Fiber modem from ISP (100mbit going to upgrade to 200mbit) its wireless is very weak and doesnt even cover the kitchen where its setup
- TPLINK AV1200 connected to the modem
-TPLINK AV1200 connected to my living room
- DB750 conencted to the AV1200, bridged connexion, 2x8TB hdd conencted to its USB interface
- RPI 3b+, PS4, XBOX ONEX, MINIX u9-h and setup box connected through the DB750 gbit ports
- TVs etc are conencted through wifi, mainly 5ghz band

I bought another set of AV1200 as i cant run wires through my home, it will require a lot of work and when i bought it i only though about going wireless :(

So i'm adding another RPI connected to the AV1200 in my bedroom.

Now i need a powerfull router than can handle, multiple streaming and my gaming. Only bottleneck i guess is the AV1200?i was going for the RT-AC86U but read its USB read/write performance sucked which is something i can't have as the atatched storage would be shared over network

The RT-ac86u is a beast. It’s on offer £152.99 which is the lowest I’ve seen it on amazon. It will help you. Although it’s only duel band I’m sure you can stick your old router in AP mode. Are your APs in repeater mode or wired back to where you’ll have the router?

Look here and you’ll find the throughput for read write speeds.
https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wir...86u-dual-band-ac2900-wireless-router-reviewed

thanks, yea i read that review that's how i chose this router..wouldn' the AV1200 limit the bandwidth though?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!