What's new

Wireguard - two issues

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Ola Malmstrom

Regular Contributor
I have a ZenWifi Pro XT12 router with Merlin FW on the latest release.

For a couple of years, I have used OpenVPN to connect to my home network. This works fine from both PC and Android clients.

When I try Wireguard, the PC connection works very well from outside of our home.

The Wireguard connection, however, only seems to connect correctly for my Samsung S22 phone - but I can't access anything. The GUI on the router indicates that the phone has connected correctly with the correct internal IP address (10.6.0.4). However, I can't access anything.

(1) Is there a setting I need on the phone or server side for Android phones that's not needed for a PC?

(2) When I close the Wireguard connection on the phone or PC, the connection seems to be open for a long time from the servers point of view. Why isn't it closed right away?

Last edited:
(1) Is there a setting I need on the phone or server side for Android phones that's not needed for a PC?
Nope. But for Wireguard it's alittle trickier to tell if you are connected or not (after all it is a connection-less protocol). In the wg app, click on the connection for more details and check so you have movement on both Rx and Tx.
If you do, the connection is fine. Perhaps conflicting ip? Or mDNS issue? Or just DNS issue?

(2) When I close the Wireguard connection on the phone or PC, the connection seems to be open for a long time from the servers point of view. Why isn't it closed right away?
As Wireguard is connection-less there is no log-out or anything. Packets just stop coming. It takes acouple of minutes for conntrack to timeout and the firmware to realize that there is no one there anymore. This is perfectly normal.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!