What's new

Need help configuring Traditional QoS

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jeden

Regular Contributor
Hello, I've got an RT-AC86U and I need help configuring Traditional QoS.

From what I can see in the "User-defined priorities" panel, ICMP has the highest priority. In other words, even if I'm using 100% of my download bandwidth, ICMP packets should not be delayed.

I assume that, for QoS to work correctly, my bandwidth must be configured properly, so that's probably my problem.

First, I'm not sure of what to put in "WAN packet overhead". I have an ADSL modem with the following settings (they are not in English but I think you get the gist of it):

7yttEMc.png

Also, I configured my bandwidth according to the values I get on speedtest.net. The speedtest.net server I'm using is inside my ISP so I'm sure my values are correct. But if I use those values, it's as if QoS didn't work at all. If I make the values lower, it works well (no ICMP lag) but I my already meager bandwidth is lowered.

As an example, what I get on speedtest.net is 14.6 or so. If I put that, QoS doesn't work. If I put 12 instead, ICMP doesn't lag, but instead of downloading at 1.8 MB/s, I download at 1.5 MB/s. A small absolute difference, but a big relative difference.

So I'm wondering if the "WAN packet overhead" option is the key, or perhaps I'm doing something wrong...

Thanks for your input!

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!