What's new

Need help picking a wireless router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Tang Tonic

New Around Here
Hi,
First off, let me say that I am a newbie to the technical side of networking. I understand the difference in wireless network types, dual bands, and just about enough to confuse the heck out of me when it comes to making a decision on which router to get. So let me tell you what I got and what I want to do...

I have an Hp G60 with an atheros b/g adapter. Initially I would by a USB client adapter to give the laptop wireless n and dual band capability. Eventually I will upgrade to a newer laptop with the latest technology. My girlfriend has about a 2 year old Mac that she will be connecting to the network as well for basic internet browsing. I am not sure about her wireless card, but we would upgrade with USB if necessary.

I will be using the network for internet browsing and downloading music. I also plan on streaming my music to my stereo through an apple airport express (so the network must be compatible with airport express) as well as eventually streaming media to my TV using a ROKU or something like that. I don't have an HDTV yet, but plan on upgrading one day, so it would be nice to have HD streaming capabilities. I don't play video games, but I do have a large music collection that I have on the laptop which streams the music. I also have a copy of my music library and all my pictures on a buffalo hard drive. For this reason, the Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH has been appealing to me. However, I don't know if I would keep my music on a NAS or the laptop which would be doing the streaming. I prefer to have real-time access to the library.

Now for the final details about where I live. Currently its a one-bedroom apartment, in 6 months, we will be moving into a larger 2 bedroom house. Since we live in the Caribbean, all walls, including the interior, are cement block. The router would be in the bedroom which is where the DSL line comes in from the landlord's router upstairs. We will be using the network mostly in our living room which is down the hallway from our bedroom about 20 feet. We would not always be in a line of sight with the router but the maximum distance would be about 150 feet- but through two cement block walls. (Another reason the Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH is appealing to me). Also, the point about the DSL internet I guess is important too. I have done an internet connection test on speedcheck.net and the best I have seen is 1.71 Mb/s for download. So maybe I should just stick with wireless G?

So far I have looked at the Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH pretty extensively. I worry about my health with that high powered transmitter, but I guess it does have a hibernate mode. I also kinda understand that higher signal output doesn't always equate to better speeds, especially when farther away (is this correct?). Also it doesn't have dual band capability. I don't know if I need it, but there are a few wireless signals around where I live and we have a portable phone. I have heard mixed reviews in general about the buffalo router, people either seem to love it or hate it. I would like to get more into the technical side of networking and it seems like the buffalo allows for that.

I have also looked at the Engenius ERS-7750 and ERS 9850 and am seriously considering one of these. I don't know which model would be better for me and I don't know if the range will be enough. But the price is great and it seems very friendly with macs. If I went this route, which would be the cheapest and easiest way to boost the signal strength? I know they have wireless extenders on their website but I don't know where to begin with that.

The Netgear 3700 seems like overkill for what I'm trying to do and the range seems to be lacking- also a little overpriced. One of the Trendnet seems like it could be a good fit.

Anyways, if you have made it to this point, thanks for reading and I appreciate any help you can give me.

PS- If any of these are more compatible with an apple airport express, that would be helpful information. Thank you.

Last edited:
Streaming much over the wireless or would gig router be better for you?
ESR-9850 pretty good for streaming over LAN to LAN to WAN to LAN. Wire 1080p is excellent, Wireless 1080p even on my faster laptop in 802.11n or mix mode still won't play youtube HD (only at 480p)
Dual band version ESR-7750 doesn't have gig ports the internal ANT design as the ESR-9850 external. But the way things are going internal and external almost neck and neck now.

They have ESR-7760 with dual and gig but not sold in the USA.

Last edited:
First, I'd forget about dual-band. Your block walls are going to weaken or kill the 5 GHz band signal. Stick with single-band routers.

The good news is that bandwidth requirements for music are pretty low (100s of Kbps). So even an 11G router would work. The bad news is that I wouldn't count on having trouble-free "HD" video streaming. It all depends on the player you use and the content you're watching.

Give these articles a read to get a better feel for what you need for HD video:
Video Streaming Need To Know: Part 1- Encoding, Bit Rates and Errors
Video Streaming Need To Know: Part 2 - The Real World
HD Streaming Smackdown: Draft 11n vs. Powerline

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!