What's new

Need new router that works with my NEST

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

howie411

Regular Contributor
So I recently purchased a NEST thermostat, and for some reason it doesn't agree with my Linksys E4200 Router. According to NEST support the router is preventing the Thermostat from going into standby which is draining the battery faster then it can charge. For now I've disconnected the Thermostat from the router and had no issues since. NEST support really wasn't helpful on recommend one that worked.

I think I narrowed it down to either the Netgear WNDR4500 or the Dlink DIR-857, both obviously the top end routers. Which would you recommend? I have a 3 level TH (with the router placed on the 3rd floor) so range is a higher priority for me then speed.

Thanks

I've read many stories about NEST problems. Some similar to yours.

Have you checked for newer firmware for your E4200? Its more than likely that NEST has a problem they need to resolve. Supposedly the NEST auto downloads its firmware updates. Have you asked NEST to send you a replacement T-stat to be sure you don't have a single defective unit?

You can also try to set your E4200 to 150Mb/s mode (1x1) and see if that helps. Or, try "g" mode (54Mb/s) and see if that helps.

I've read many stories about NEST problems. Some similar to yours.

Have you checked for newer firmware for your E4200? Its more than likely that NEST has a problem they need to resolve. Supposedly the NEST auto downloads its firmware updates. Have you asked NEST to send you a replacement T-stat to be sure you don't have a single defective unit?

You can also try to set your E4200 to 150Mb/s mode (1x1) and see if that helps. Or, try "g" mode (54Mb/s) and see if that helps.

Yep Nest has already been replaced to see if it was the device. Both the NEST and the Router have the latest firmware.

I have not tried dropping the speed or the mode, but I would like to avoid that since I use a bunch of N devices in my place.

Nest Support said they are working on a fix but have no ETA.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!