What's new

Need Router with URL Filtering (non-global), Firewall Scheduling, Int Access Policy

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

diabolical_dan

New Around Here

Hey there!

I've been looking to get new router for my SOHO needs. I currently have a Netgear WGR614v9. It has a the ability to block websites based on the URL or a keyword, which is great, but at the same time it only allows 1 trusted IP address for which the restrictions are not applied. What I need is a router, where I can block certain sites for a bunch of devices, during work hours, and let another bunch of devices have unrestricted access to the internet at all times.

Like I said, my Netgear only allows 1 trusted IP to bypass the restriction.

New Netgear routers have an OpenDNS firewall, which lets me block categories, not sites / URLs / keywords, specifically and to allow a computer to bypass this restriction I must create a guest account for each system and also load a user login software on each of the devices. This doesn't cut it either.

Cisco has some decent routers and parental controls but they have a 5 device and 8 URL limit, which is too less for my need. I also read somewhere that weirdly their firmware only supports URLs less than 22 characters!!

The older Cisco/Linksys routers had an Internet Access Policy setting which was more advanced than their Cisco Connect stuff. Is this there on their newer routers? Is it ok if I get an old one? If so which one?

Belkin seems to have a global URL filter (blocked on all devices). Their tech support tells me their newer routers don't even have this functionality.

From what I could find D-Link routers too have a global URL filter setting.

This search for a router for my need is driving me crazy and has made me quite unproductive of late. Please if someone out there know better, do help point me towards a router that will allow me to set the restrictions the way I would like to. Thanks in advance.

P.S. Other things to note: It would be great if the router is a dual-band N series wireless router with gigabit LAN and USB storage capabilities and MAC address reservation/filtering options.

I am also open to using an open source firmware for a router if it lets me do all that I require. In that case please do suggest which firmware would enable me to do the above and which router will be supported by that firmware. Thanks.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!