What's new

Need to adopt New Wifi Router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jaydickp

New Around Here
My old router D-Link Dl-634M is dead.
I need a new one to replace it.

I have already decided to get wndr3700 or wndr37av but the problem is no local shop in my country (Philippines) has it.
I'm much more comfortable with a shop warranty plus the added warranty of the brand itself.
So if there are any problems about the router I bought, I can easily exchange it for a new one.

I have narrowed it down to my preferred brands d-link and linksys.
This are the only brands that are at my local shops.
I'm eyeing on the dir-685.

I will mainly use the router for:
Transferring wan to lan or lan to wan files 500mb - 1gb size (sometimes).
Online gaming CoD (occasionaly).
HD streaming (sometimes).

4 PCs connected through Lan
1 PC connected through Wan
2 Laptops connected through Wan

Thank you

Last edited:
Read reviews on DSLreports.com re WiFi gear.
And on newegg.com- ignore the lowest and highest user ratings.

My experience from many years: On average, model to model, D-Link is significantly inferior due to recurring inattention to bug-free firmware. Netgear, IMO, is also irregular.

Again IMO: Linksys rarely does this. Buffalo and Belkin - also on average good. These companies tend to follow Broadcom's reference designs.

Many will disagree.

We have to discount people that rank products based on their own experience having owned one each of a given model. Sample size too small. That's why a reasoned interpretation of Newgegg's user reviews is useful.

If you aren't doing video streaming, then just get an under $50 11g WiFi router.

If you are doing HD streaming, don't do it on WiFi. Use MoCa if you just cannot get cat5 where it's needed.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!